Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 203: Sophia Jurksztowicz

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 203In this 203rd episode, Mike chats with Sportsnet host Sophia Jurksztowicz about her career in sports media, the attractiveness double standard, her various excuses for postponing her visit and much, much more. This episode is exactly 1:47:35.

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Sophia Jurksztowicz and me

Become a Patron

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Thermos

I once matched with her or someone pretending to be her on Bumble. She didn't message me :(

November 10, 2016 @ 4:07 PM

@Thermos

So close!

Here she is holding my youngest. She's awfully fun to talk with.

November 10, 2016 @ 4:09 PM

Thermos

The one that got away...

November 10, 2016 @ 4:56 PM

Jason from Sudbury

Another great podcast Mike! I enjoyed this one.

November 10, 2016 @ 6:20 PM

Tdotter

I put this on and got lost in the "convo". Next thing you know, it's over and I can't believe it was almost two hours.

You guys had great chemistry.

November 10, 2016 @ 7:12 PM

Jason from Sudbury

Yeah, didn't feel like 2 hours. Sophia sounds like she's pretty cool and down to earth. You guys could've probably kept going.

November 10, 2016 @ 11:23 PM

Boomer

Mike. I love her....that is all.

Boomer

November 11, 2016 @ 8:26 AM

Patrick

Over an hour and a half of discussion and it feels like you barely touched the surface with her. I hope you can get Sophia and pick up where you left off. It was quite the fun and real talk you two were having.

Also, call me crazy Mike but given the chemistry you two had (or at least that's how it came across over the podcast) I think should you ever need/want a co-host you may found one in Sophia.

November 11, 2016 @ 11:37 AM

@Patrick

Funny you say that...

As she was leaving, she said she'd love to come back. She's at Old Mill, Elvis is in North Oshawa, so logistically she has a huge advantage. And, I really, really like her.

Sorry Elvis... :)

November 11, 2016 @ 11:48 AM

andrew

Great chemistry you 2 together.
Again 1 of your best. 4 sure on wall of fame.
IN Fun -You spent almost 2 hrs with Sophia, I would love to spend 1/2 hr with her.

November 11, 2016 @ 1:45 PM

HipHopera

I think she's incredibly beautiful. And smart. And sweet.

Great episode! I'm jealous!

November 11, 2016 @ 4:00 PM

markosaar

That was awesome! Great company to my ironing!

On childhood TV: First, it was Muffy the Mouse. Apparently I LOVED the Big Friendly Giant according to my parents, but I do not have a single memory of it oddly. I'm 34 for context. My grandfather did "special effects" on Mr. Dressup ... i.e. moving the owl's eyes.

Re: biking, sorry Mike, but you're pretty much the only person I know that uses Mapmyride. The reason I consider it the worst of the bunch is that they don't make it easy to export/sync your data to other services. (Strava is most popular, but there are a bunch, and they all allow easy export of data.)

For winter biking, Sophia would want to get another bike ... don't want to subject a road bike to the salt on the road. But a random tip to anyone that wants to bike through winter, especially on the lake shore Martin Goodman trail: I swear by Schwalbe Marathon Winter tires. I commuted on them on that trail two winters and never slipped once across 20 metre long sheets of ice. (They have metal studs.)

The problem is they're much larger... even on my hybrid I had to take the rack off for them to clear it.

One last note about that trail ... there are segments that are dark. I hated it in fall/winter until I got a much better light. Can't believe the number of completely pitch black cyclists on it I'm trusting not to collide with me.

November 12, 2016 @ 12:39 PM

Brandon

Fantastic natural rhythm and back-and-forth chemistry. I wasn't too familiar with Sophia but enjoyed learning some about her experiences.

re: Taking a vacation only to be replaced upon returning around the CityTV time. The Star did an article on this a few years ago which I thought interesting. It's a real risk in the industry - what if management thinks the replacement "clicks" better? This paragraph had me thinking about the Sophia situation:

He's seen hosts dumped in favour of their replacements when they returned rested and ready to work after vacation. "It's all about survival ... I know the audience is fickle and management is fickle and are always looking for that perfect chemistry."

November 13, 2016 @ 4:22 PM

Pete

I'm judging the awesomeness of your conversations based on the length of the podcasts! Anything over 1.5 hours are winners for me

November 15, 2016 @ 11:46 AM

Liz

Wow, I really loved this one, Mike.

As a few others have said, you and she have marvellous chemistry. I could have listened for a whole lot longer, that's for sure.

What a nice person! Well-spoken, and wicked smart.

Definitely have Sophia back!

November 19, 2016 @ 3:38 PM

Liz

Desmond Cole would be a really great guest, too.

This guy is exceptionally well-spoken - and, is up to some pretty cool shit.

November 19, 2016 @ 3:40 PM