I'm Tired of Being Wrong

In 2000, I didn't think George Dubya Bush had a chance. I wasn't blogging yet, but if I was I'd be linking now to an arrogant post about how Americans aren't dumb enough to elect an idiot like Dubya. I did write this in 2003 and called him naive and stupid.

Fast forward to 2004 when I was certain John Kerry would win the Presidency. It seemed obvious to me. Once again, I was wrong.

Then, there was 2010. I'm still trying to live this entry down. I'd delete it, but it seems to bring such joy to my friends like Il Duce.

Rob Ford, they seem to like you in Ward 2, Etobicoke North. Please run there. Toronto's next mayor won't be a bike lane hating, Transit City killing social conservative who promises to "cut everything but police spending to tame the city budget. Libraries, parks, whatever."

We all know what happened next. Once again, I was wrong.

At this point, I should have learned my lesson, but I most certainly did not. Donald Trump so turned my stomach, I could only handle him in very small doses. I didn't need to worry about him actually winning the election because I was certain Hillary Clinton would prevail. All the analysis, most of the polls, and almost every pundit reinforced my belief that Americans would do the right thing.

Last night, I asked my oldest daughter if she was ready to witness history. At 7pm, I was still confident. In fact, I wondered aloud if they might call Florida in her favour by 9pm and shortly thereafter realize Trump had no path to victory. I smiled at my sleeping 7-month old daughter when I realized she didn't even have to live a full year without a woman president of the United States of America.

In reality, by 9pm I was reassuring my oldest daughter that everything would be okay. Once again, I was wrong. In fact, I think this is the wrongest I've ever been about an election.

Winston Churchill once said the best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter. I need to stop overestimating these people. I'm tired of being wrong.

Scott Eric

This article, written before Trump was even the Republican nominee, was spot on and prophetic:

November 9, 2016 @ 2:41 PM

Justin

I've quite enjoyed telling friends, family, and colleagues all day today that "I told you so."

As the race narrowed over the last few weeks, I knew he would win. I knew that the polls were biased and ineffective, that were was a LARGE "shy Trump voter" effect going on, that millions were going to vote for Trump that usually vote Democrat or don't vote at all, and that people have stopped putting stock into what the demonstrably dishonest and biased media says. This was our first post-MSM election. Despite their best efforts, media outlets had little effect on voter preference. Newspaper endorsements being relevant is now a defunct idea. And the masses see CNN for what it is - a network that now makes Fox News look honest and objective in comparison. How the tables have turned.

This was a victory for the people over special interests, middle America over corporate America, and Americanism over globalism. It was a victory for small government, for enhanced freedoms, for lower taxes, and for a more efficiently-run federal government. It was a repudiation of the dominance of the political/judicial/media/corporate elites over American governance. It was a great night for America that I'm happy I saw coming. Now let's see if he delivers.

November 9, 2016 @ 4:18 PM

I honestly thought

I honestly thought America was better than this .. much, much better.

November 9, 2016 @ 4:34 PM

Luigi

Donald Trump was able to do the same thing that Rob Ford did in 2010 here in Toronto. Basically, you had an electorate that was angry with politicians saying what they had to in order to get elected and then not doing anything for them once in power. Whether that's true or not is another issue. Bernie Sanders almost did the same thing on the other side but was derailed by Hillary Clinton.

Actually, the Democrats should be angry with their own leadership-that party was in the back pocket of the Clinton campaign since the moment President Obama won his second and final term, determined to get her into the Oval Office after him come hell or high water.

Congratulations to Mr. Trump on a hard-fought victory. I hope his bluster and rhetoric on the campaign trail doesn't follow him into the White House for everyone's sake and that the USA is in better shape in 2020 than it is now-that could only be good for us in Canada as well.

November 9, 2016 @ 4:59 PM

Matt

Congrats to President Trump!

Trump didnt need this. He wanted this. I hope he does a great job for the next 4 (8) years.

Dumbest comment I read today, someone thought Kadri would'nt be able to go to the states anymore! Lmao! Are people really this mis-informed?

November 9, 2016 @ 5:29 PM

@Matt

But you understand why that person thought that about Kadri, right?

Trump called for a ban on all Muslims entering the United States after the Orlando shooting.

November 9, 2016 @ 5:33 PM

Matt

He did initially yes, but backed down off that to thoroughly vetting.

Looks at all the attacks that have happened in Europe. Anyone who questions that is labelled racist. Thats not right. You should be able to express concern, question things without expecting backlash.

We live in a time where post secondary institutions have safe zones for halloween!

Trump spoke to the disenfranchised. Those who lost jobs in automotive, manufacturing, coal etc. It was there chance to send a big fuck you to the government and they did.

People were fed up. The common theme I heard was uneducated white males are the ones supporting Trump. Anyone who dared support Trump risked vandalism to their cars, property etc. They were called racist, sexist, mysoginistic etc. Theres a reason the right is called the silent majority. People feel bullied by the left. So they stay silent, avoid polls and cast their vote when it counts.

November 9, 2016 @ 5:51 PM

Matt

Taken from facebook. A gentleman named Coop LoPresto

When all the non-racist, non-misogynist, non-homophobic, non-bigoted, everyday ordinary people get so sick of you calling them racists, misogynists, homophobes, and bigots that they go out and vote against your candidate, do you:

A. Reevaluate your personal conduct and strategy of convincing people to share your politics?

Or

B. Call them racists, misogynists, homophobes, and bigots and yell at them even more?

According to most of my timeline, you chose B. And that's exactly why your candidate lost.

November 9, 2016 @ 5:54 PM

dale (Bolton)

Heard on radio driving home today that the Clinton's may be moving into the White House after all. There was a pause & then "Hillary will be chief maid, Bill will be chauffeur & Chelsea will help in the kitchen wherever needed & yes they can bring their dog".

Surprised NO Shocked YES after the last month's situations with both.

Can Trump be worse than Dubya. I don't think so as DJT is intelligent & made comments to get to where is today. Hopefully his mindset will change & am sure it will. U.S. mad the right choice last night as Hillary was more corrupt than DJT.

November 9, 2016 @ 6:20 PM

GUNTer

I have always had a certain dislike for the US and felt many of them were racist/homophobic/etc. This was once highlighted greatly when I happened to be in Atlanta, Stone Mountain, for the 4th of July. They projected large images on the side of the mountain. At first it was really nice, music, scenery. Then it evolved into something else entirely - about the South rising again - about terrorism. They had images of Mosques and then a US soldier in the front shooting into the sky. The crowd went nuts for it. My husband and I were looking around like WTF!!!!
So now my thoughts are confirmed - the majority of Americans have hate inside them.
I am fucking shocked at this outcome. I am truly scared for my nephew and his little family living in Boston.
SHAME on the USofA.

November 9, 2016 @ 6:47 PM

Better than what....?

Hillary Clinton thought she could buy her way into the Presidency. Dems have no one to blame but themselves, Donald faced a party of 17 nominees, she face 1, an old man named Bernie the Communist & still she should of lost but those SUPERDELEGATES decided otherwise.

That should of told u something.

She was supposed to be crowned in 2008 but some nobody named Obama stole her thunder. Now a guy named Trump, again no political experience, takes it from her. She should do what John Tory does, run for Mayor.

Best line of the campaign was when Trump was talking ISIS. He said "don't know when, don't know where, don't know how, but we are going to get you". That is a leader.

Media vs Trump

Round 1 Trump
Round 2 will be ruthless than Rd 1. The media will be all over this guys decisions & actions. The war has just begun.

& funny how Trump had no celebrity endorsements, no concerts yet still managed a win. Screw u Springsteen, Bon Jovi, Jlo, Jay z( & u thought Trump was derogatory) Beyoncé.

November 9, 2016 @ 7:47 PM

@Better than what....?

You're forgetting Trump finished up strong with Ted Nugent by his side in Michigan.

November 9, 2016 @ 8:02 PM

Cambo

This was a disaster for Hillary from the start. She wasn't the right candidate and the Dems should have recognized this. She was fraught with scandals, and is generally disliked by the population.

Had the Dems elected Sanders as the candidate, I think the outcome would have been very very different.

November 9, 2016 @ 8:42 PM

andrew

Watching CNN & large protests against Trump in 7 major cities - NY, LA, Phil. going on now.
Peaceful so far as only 9PM.
CNN blew it with respondents on panel tonightwho were abusive & loud to each other - Hillary vs. Trump people. Anderson Cooper twice said "we have to go to commercial".
Just like UFC.
A shape of things to come?

November 9, 2016 @ 9:05 PM

Rob J

The 2004 'Swiftboating' of John Kerry, torqued by the cretin Matt Drudge, was a disgrace.

November 9, 2016 @ 11:00 PM

James Edgar

@Mike I'm tired of being wrong too. I went to bed thinking that there's no way he wins.

Well I'm going to refrain from predicting in the future and save myself that stress.

In the end i probably would have bitten my tongue and voted HRC but she was the wrong candidate for a lot of reasons and her campaign was far too focus on continuing Obama's legacy. While a lot of that would have been good, possibly great there are a lot of people who feel like they been left behind thanks to Globalisation. Their lack of education and being replaced by technology is at least as much to blame I think but ...

Trump tapped into that perfectly as did Sanders to some extent . The democrats insistence on running Clinton was a major mistake. I don't really think Sanders would have been the right choice either but better than Hillery.

I saw yesterday that only a little over 50% of eligible voters actually voted which probably cost her as well. Hard to believe that Americans could be so apathetic about such a contentious election
but not all that hard considering how our election turnouts usually are .

November 10, 2016 @ 9:44 AM

@James Edgar

If everyone votes, Hillary wins easily. The non-white vote did not come out the way it did for Obama in '08 and '12. She just wasn't well liked across the country and many stayed home on November 8.

Like you, I'm retiring from the election prediction game except for purely fun pool purposes. The polls can't be trusted, my inner feelings can't be trusted, there really is no crystal ball and anything, apparently, can happen when people are in the voting booth.

November 10, 2016 @ 9:51 AM

mrmojorisinca

I just bought lunch for someone who i bet that Hillary would win, Beer was to be included if the house was won..so he had beer to celebrate, I had beer to down my disbelief

November 10, 2016 @ 1:39 PM

Justin

Of all the election-related think-pieces I've read over the last 2 days, this one from a CBS news correspondent is by far the best one.

He hits the nail on the head as to a) what the media got wrong and b) why the media in America is so hated and distrusted.

"Journalists love mocking Trump supporters. We insult their appearances. We dismiss them as racists and sexists. We emote on Twitter about how this or that comment or policy makes us feel one way or the other, and yet we reject their feelings as invalid.

It’s a profound failure of empathy in the service of endless posturing. There’s been some sympathy from the press, sure: the dispatches from “heroin country” that read like reports from colonial administrators checking in on the natives. But much of that starts from the assumption that Trump voters are backward, and that it’s our duty to catalogue and ultimately reverse that backwardness. What can we do to get these people to stop worshiping their false god and accept our gospel?"

I must admit, I stuck to CNN the whole night not because I admired their network, but because I wanted to see the look on Jake Tapper Van Jones' smug faces when Trump won. I was never much of a CNN viewer before this election, but now I really hate CNN. The Washington Post and NY Times have also sacrificed journalistic standards for a lynch-mob treatment of Trump. On MSM twitter the arrogance and smugness has been unbearable. I may be an abashed Conservative, but I respect others' right to hold a differing opinion and don't mind engaging in friendly debate. The MSM, on the other hand, acted the whole time like they were the fancy, distinguished, educated people who knew best and Trump supports were merely a bunch of Archie Bunker-like fools. It disgusted me. For the first time in my life, I felt stigmatized and marginalized. I don't have a racist or sexist bone in my body, but JOURNALISTS were painting me that way. It was gross. Now that is over I'll never watch CNN or read the NY Times again.

November 10, 2016 @ 2:42 PM

The Voice of Reason

@Mike

Hillary did not win as she could not be trusted. At the end of the day Americans voted for change. With the debt extension the US is realistically $23 Trillion in debt. Hillary's lies finally caught her. Had she come out and actually had a press conference about her issues this past summer, she may have stood a chance as people forgive over time.
The average voter did vote for Hillary. The voter that took the time to research her and not trust mainstream media, could not vote for her.

November 10, 2016 @ 4:05 PM

Rob J

@Justin

Mrs. Clinton garnered more votes than Trump.

November 10, 2016 @ 6:48 PM

Luigi

@Rob J
Good for her-unfortunately, that means absolutely nothing and everybody knows it.

November 10, 2016 @ 8:41 PM

Argie

Well put Justin.

There were 3 main reasons why Trump won. They are as follows :
1. Most Americans were tired of the Dems ruling the past 8 years (specifically Obama as their President. ). Tired of the political correctness BS, the changing of the definition of marriage, his handling/creation of the Muslim brotherhood (see Arab spring) and many other eff ups on his part. Voters wanted a change and the new guy was change. Hillary was just going to be same old same old.
2. Hillary Clinton was an awful candidate. No excitement, no energy and no leadership. She was like the job candidate who feels they can coast through the interview because they know the job is there's to lose. Sorry Hillary voters need to believe you want the job.
3. Trump is a celebrity. The media turned Obama into one in time for the election of 2008 and that's the one thing these guys have in common. I don't know who will be the next president after Trump but you can bet it will be a big name - an actor, music artist, former athlete or someone just famous because they are.

November 10, 2016 @ 8:56 PM

Wayner

Not a Clinton fan by any means...but is there any actual evidence of her "crookedness" that is documented? Or is it all speculation?

also Trump and the Clinton's seem to have been very cozy in the past. What happened?

November 11, 2016 @ 10:46 AM

Why Trump won

-25% of the American population voted Democrat.
-25% of the American population were conned & don't have an issue voting for a mean-spirited, fact-free, ill-informed, vindictive boor.
-50% of the American population didn't vote & don't give a shit.

America, i thought you were better than this .. much better.

November 11, 2016 @ 1:08 PM

Jimmy K

Funny how things said in the past always seem to bite u in the ass later.

On Jimmy Kimmel's Mean Tweets on Oct. 24 Obama read a tweet from a guy named @realDonaldTrump stating that President Obama will go down perhaps as one of the worst Presidents in the history of the United States.

Obama "Well @realDonaldTrump, at least I will go down as President."

November 12, 2016 @ 4:07 PM

Matt Doucette

Mike, you made a very good point in your latest podcast with Sophia J. Trump is like the High School senior that promises more dances, better cafeteria food, and less homework...all things that can't really be done. Mike Pence is the guy that basically made segregation legal in Indiana. That's scary.

November 13, 2016 @ 10:49 AM

Matt Doucette

November 13, 2016 @ 10:49 AM

Javed Jafri

Donald Sutherland today:

Donald Sutherland was supposed to be on the Today Show to plug a new DirecTV and AT&T U-verse series called "Ice." The hosts at The Today Show were all bubbly and celebratory about Sutherland's long career and whatever about the show (don't ask me to keep up with every on-demand media option it was overload to get Netflix at our house.)

But the interview took a really fast turn which left the hosts unable to interrupt. He turned a conversation about Helen Mirren into a conversation about misogyny and racism. Good on Donald Sutherland:

DONALD SUTHERLAND: I could do a thousand movies with Helen Mirren but that's the only one I've done. And it was -- if it is a quarter as good as it was a joy to play, then it will be absolutely wonderful. Helen Mirren -- Helen Mirren came up to me on the set and stood in front of me and said, in the middle of a shooting. you know? And I love her. and she said 'you are the most privileged person on Earth.' I said you're joking. I mean I've been very fortunate and I've had a wonderful life but -- she said, 'No, you are the most privileged person on Earth'. I said how can you say that? She said, 'You are a white male.'

TODAY HOST: ...and your reply to that was?

SUTHERLAND: There is no reply. I was ashamed. I was stunned. and I have gotten more ashamed. it's interesting to realize that you are seen as an integral part of a group that many of whom are misogynist, bigots, racists, and it's appalling.

He was then asked about his grandchidren:

Yes he is Canadian

SUTHERLAND: How do I give them a hopeful view. Now how can I give them a hopeful view? I have a wife. I have a daughter. I have a daughter-in-law and a granddaughter. What do I say to them? What do I say to them? Their women's rights are gone. The environment is gone. Minimum pay has gone. What do I say to them? How do I -- I can only say one thing. I am a Canadian. And that's what I am.

Also let's everybody "normalize now:

CNN Host: 'Breitbart Is Not A ​Normal Media Outlet​

November 14, 2016 @ 8:29 PM

Javed Jafri

Clinton is winning the popular vote. Right now only 92 % of the vote has been counted from last week's election. Most of the remaining vote not yet counted will be from California, Washington state and NY and Clinton's lead will probably rise. She already has a greater Lead than JFK did in 1960 and she may over-take Nixon's lead from 1968. When all is said and done. Her national lead may not be that far from the polling.

of course I realize that she lost the electoral college.

BTW Trump just namer Steve Bannon to a high position in his new administration. He was running the alt-right web site called Breitbart. White nationalists are thrilled.

Let the "normalizing" of Trump begin. No there's no misogony or racism, he did not mean what he said and Steve Bannon actually did not sanction anything at Breitbart. There's no alt right. Yes ok I hope they are right but why did he say those things ?

Here's some Breitbart headlines:

'The solution to online 'harassment' is simple: Women should log off
'Bill Kristol: Republican spoiler, renegade Jew'
'Trannies whine about hilarious Bruce Jenner billboard'
'Suck it up buttercups: Dangerous Faggot Tour returns to colleges in September
'Hoist it high and proud: The Confederate flag proclaims a glorious heritage'
' "Would you rather your child had feminism or cancer?" '
'Gay rights have made us dumber, it's time to get back in the closet'

November 14, 2016 @ 9:04 PM

OK

@Javed

Ok we get it, u & the world don't like what happened Nov. 8. U think its the end of the world, think again. It would of been with Clinton winning. She had a beeline aimed at Putin via Syria. Defcom is now at 5, the lowest & safest when in June it was silently raised to Level 3. All this because of Trump's win?

U have 4 yrs to get your act together. Suggest u start now.

November 16, 2016 @ 8:12 PM

Javed Jafri

This from Huffpo about Trump's pick for Attorney General, you can add that to other stellar picks such as Steve Bannon:

Civil rights groups are condemning President-elect Donald Trump’s selection of Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.) as United States Attorney General.

At issue are Sessions’ history of racist comments and hard-line anti-immigration stance. The Senate rejected then-President Ronald Reagan’s nomination of Sessions as a federal judge in 1986 after colleagues testified about racially offensive comments Sessions made as a U.S. Attorney in Alabama.

Attorneys who worked with Sessions alleged in the 1986 hearings that Sessions once referred to a black attorney as “boy,” suggested a white attorney was a traitor to his race for representing black clients, called the American Civil Liberties Union and National Association for the Advancement of Colored People “un-American” for trying to “force civil rights down the throats of people who were trying to put problems behind them,” and said that his only problem with the Ku Klux Klan was the extremist group’s marijuana use.

Also the Trump VP pick was booed at a NY Broadway show. Good for that NY audience. That's the kind of message the Trumpters will need the next four years:

Tonight, VP-Elect Mike Pence attended #HamiltonBway. After the show, @BrandonVDixon delivered the following statement on behalf of the show.

Here is the text of the statement:

Vice President Elect Pence, welcome.

Thank you for joining us at Hamilton - An American Musical.

We are the diverse America who are alarmed and anxious that your new administration will not protect us, our planet, our children, our parents, or defend us and uphold our inalienable rights.

We hope this show has inspired you to uphold our American values, and work on behalf of ALL of us.

Thank you.

November 19, 2016 @ 12:45 AM

Javed Jafri

Here is the text of the statement:

Vice President Elect Pence, welcome.

Thank you for joining us at Hamilton - An American Musical.

Thank you.