I'm a Bike Courier!

My wife recently started a children's clothing company called Mint + Chip. She does lots of custom orders, and sells various kids stuff that she makes at home. I'm no expert, but I'm told it's well made quality clothing and she enjoys hammering away on the various sewing machines.

She sells her goods via her Facebook page, and if someone lives within a reasonable distance from our home, it's free delivery. It's free delivery because I'm the unpaid bike courier.

Every day at lunch I'm told what package needs to be delivered to what address, and I plan my route accordingly. I love it. On days when there are no deliveries, I'm actually disappointed.

Just working on bibs over here. #bibsfordays

A photo posted by Mint + Chip (@mintandchipboutique) on

No pressure, but if you'd like to ensure I have more free deliveries to make, spread the word about Mint + Chip.

Bike

Sid_V

Is Waterloo region considered a reasonable distance? A delivery or two out here would certainly help increase your monthly mileage.

November 6, 2016 @ 9:23 AM

@Sid_V

Haha! The problem is time... I'd have to quit my fulltime job to make that delivery.

November 6, 2016 @ 9:41 AM

Rob J

What's the origin of her business's name? #nosy

November 6, 2016 @ 3:46 PM

@Rob J

She bought this fabric that kind types of ice cream flavours on it and one was mint and chip. And since it's her favourite flavour of ice cream, she thought it would make a good name for her biz.

November 6, 2016 @ 5:13 PM

Brandon

It's great to be able to get some exercise AND accomplish some work/a mission at once. Are you a "winter rider" when it starts getting snowy and icy? Just curious how the winter season might alter things.

I happened to see this the other day in the 24 Hrs freebie. Perhaps you know most of it. I'm not a serious enough biker - just here and there mostly on trails/sidestreets - that I ever thought of eye protection - but this section of the story sure makes me reconsider that:

"Cranwell told us a story about riding near the lake recently, when he wasn’t wearing eye protection. “Then I get a gnat in the eye,” he recalls. “And my eye swells up, and it’s streaming tears, and I’m trying to see out of my one eye the rest of my way home, and it took a couple days for it to clear up.” To help against blowing snow, dust or pesky gnats, make sure to pick up proper cycling eyewear (although some riders also opt for ski goggles on severe weather days)."

Ugh. :-/

November 6, 2016 @ 5:36 PM

@Brandon

Yes, I bike all year round. Snow doesn't stop me. The only time I'll skip a ride is if it's under -20 or if it's actively snowing hard and the ploughs haven't got out yet.

Here's something I once wrote about cycling Toronto's winters. http://www.torontomike.com/2015/11/how_to_bike_torontos_winters.html

November 6, 2016 @ 6:25 PM

@Brandon

Oh yeah, I meant to comment on the gnats.

They're midges, and I know them well! Here's something I wrote about them: http://www.torontomike.com/2015/05/midges_by_lake_ontario_in_toronto.html

I find them much worse in the spring and they really only bug me for a few weeks.... but without a doubt, when they're bad, you'll get them in your eyes, up your nose and in your mouth. Then, one day in late May, they're gone.

November 7, 2016 @ 2:27 PM