Open Mike

Welcome to this week's Open Mike. I'm Mike and I'll be your master of ceremonies for the day.

Open Mike on Toronto Mike

James Edgar

So what would it mean if there really is an uprising in the states if Drump loses?

That's what i was thinking in the shower this morning .
Why?

Not entirely sure but i did see a story about 1% motorcycle clubs being big Trump fans and That's a bit of a concern.

Also i woke up at 3:00 am and my blood Glucose was way high and i had a lot of trouble sleeping afterwards so i'm kind of exhausted.

We are living in interesting times in a chinese curse sort of way I think.

October 28, 2016 @ 8:59 AM

@James Edgar

The New York Times currently gives Hillary Clinton a 91% of winning this election, so we'll soon find out. In my opinion, it will all come down to whether he concedes or not. Once the outcome is clear, the loser always makes a concession speech. If Trump does not do this, which would be unprecedented, there's no telling what his cult-like followers will do.

October 28, 2016 @ 9:03 AM

The Voice of Reason

In the US we have a Billionaire with very blunt statements that do not sit well with society. We also have a person who somehow has gained a net worth of over $200 Million while "serving" the American people.

This is not a good picture regardless of who wins if you live in Canada.

October 28, 2016 @ 9:12 AM

Daniel

If trump wins, its the beginning of the Apocalypse (tongue in cheek)

But he won't, so thank God for that. I really don't like Hilary but there's no other choice. Honestly all the republicans had to do was come up with a semi-reasonable option...and they didn't

October 28, 2016 @ 9:23 AM

The Voice of Reason

The real vote should be Mike Pence Vs Tim Kaine. Both Trump and Hillary are considered senior citizens. The stress of being POTUS will likely drive the winner to the grave prior to their first term being complete. If anyone watched the VP Debate. Pence clearly is Presidential material. Kaine, is literally a Hillary clone that is prone to corruption.

October 28, 2016 @ 9:35 AM

Cheryl

Well, how about those Coyotes. Finally they win a game. That's great. It's about time and now they are going to win lots. How about those Habs. They are undefeated. Well, one los, but it was an OT loss. The winning will keep up. My Indians are going to win tonight. Sure they will. They will win the World Series. Also tonight my Suns will win and also my Cavs will win and beat the Raptors. I know all this. In the curling tournament, Kean lost the first game. They are winning so far in the second game.

October 28, 2016 @ 9:39 AM

Ryan G

There's most certainly an art form to the awkward elevator conversation.

You know, you're waiting for the elevator at work in the morning, and then up comes a colleague who you kinda know, but not that well.. You feel you should at least acknowledge his/her presence but you don't wanna take a deep dive convo. Prior to May I've never worked at a place that had an elevator, so at my new office this is all new to me - I'm rusty.

The key, I think, is to introduce a topic that is of a manageable length. This is why people bring up the weather - it's the low hanging fruit. But I feel like I'm patronizing the other guy if I do that as it's just so cliche. This morning I had one of those situations, and I scrambled to find something to say - since I'm the new guy I'm trying to be affable and shit. It was weak, but slightly better than the weather: "Hey man..thanks for sending me over that file the other day". "Oh no problem", he says. Now the even weaker follow up, where I'm adding nothing new: "Ya that will be really helpful for this project - appreciate it." (of course it's fucking helpful..it's why i asked for the file)

By this time the elevator had arrived and we all piled in. I happen to know he's only going to 3, whereas I go to 4. So, I begin calculating the exact amount of small talk I gotta fill here. But then he asks if I have plans for the weekend. Ok that's reasonable. I say "not much..relaxing pretty much.. yourself?". That's when we went down the rabbit hole.

See, he made the mistake of introducing a topic that requires at least 5 or 6 follow up questions, and frankly, we just don't have the time for this. "Doing some major renovations at home." The elevator stops at 2, so I'm thinking..we're nearly there man. Hurry this story up brother..you got a lot of ground to cover. You got 20 seconds to wrap this all up in a nice bow.

But it didn't work out that way. We get to 3 and he's only about half way through. He's so into his story he nearly misses the fact this is his floor and a mild panic ensues. "ahh jeez my floor...anyway...to be continued..i'll fill you in later..."

As I alluded to earlier, I'm trying to be affable, so instead of saying it out loud to him, I just thought it: No thanks man. I'm good.

October 28, 2016 @ 9:40 AM

@The Voice of Reason

It's funny you'd say that. Of the four on the ticket, Pence is the one that scares me the most. He supports conversion therapy, for goodness sake. And his opinions on abortion rights and health care for women are archaic. The man is determined to de-fund Planned Parenthood.

Luckily for America this discussion is moot. I suspect everyone who tied their lot to Trump (including Pence) will suffer the consequences for decades to come.

On November 8, it won't be close.

October 28, 2016 @ 9:46 AM

James Edgar

@Mike yes the polls are pretty clear but there really is a "feeling" amongst his supporters that it will be rigged. And as Newt Gingrich was happy to point out at the RNC Feelings count for as much or more than facts with this crowd.

I'm not really expecting anything but the most vocal and adamant of his supporters are people that Trump wouldn't normally piss on if they were on fire so rationality is not there strong suit.

@ ryan Like me that guy is probably ridiculously socially awkward. probably sitting at his desk all morning kicking himself for not getting the "I'm trying to be affable" vibe.

October 28, 2016 @ 9:51 AM

@Mike

I presume you are aware of Clintons indiscretions? Hillary uses people to get what she wants and then throws them away. She has no soul, no heart, no honor, and no dignity.

This person should never see a position of power again in her entire life, let alone be a serious candidate for POTUS.

October 28, 2016 @ 9:57 AM

@The Voice of Reason

Your bias is showing.

October 28, 2016 @ 10:00 AM

@Mike

I don't feel either is good for Canada. I feel Canada suffers less with Trump.

October 28, 2016 @ 10:04 AM

@The Voice of Reason

I suspect the next four years of Clinton will feel very similar to the last eight years with Obama. I also suspect the vast majority of Canadians are A-OK with this.

October 28, 2016 @ 10:07 AM

@Mike

The issue that should be discussed is the near $20 trillion in debt that the US has. Like it or not that issue will affect us. Trump has brought the topic up, but did not delve deep into the subject.
In Ontario we spend about $11.3 billion a year to service its debt — or more than it its entire welfare system costs. The ministry of community and social services runs on $11.1 billion a year.
These are the issues that need to be discussed on both sides of the border.

October 28, 2016 @ 10:16 AM

Ben V

The voice of reason has clearly been reading breibart news. When the entire financial community the world over states trump and his policies are bad news you have no leg to stand on saying you feel Canada would do better under Trump.

Trump isnt blunt he is a racist and mysogynist. Even after DNA exhoneration he declared the new york 5 guilty.

October 28, 2016 @ 10:25 AM

The Voice of Reason

Ben has clearly taken the bait hook, line and sinker that MSM has shoved down our throats for the past few years. Had Bernie Sanders won the democratic nomination, this conversation would not exist. The problem is that Hillary was the "chosen" one. Bernie, knew it, it has been proven and yet the Clinton supporters turn a blind eye no matter what gets exposed.

My question is how did the Clinton acquire $200 Million in the last 20 years? Bribes sound so much nicer when you call them speaking fees.

October 28, 2016 @ 10:33 AM

Save your energy for 2020 when it's Hillary Clinton vs. Paul Ryan or whomever.

This 2016 race is done.

October 28, 2016 @ 10:35 AM

@Mike

Sadly, you may be right. Like I said earlier, I do not think that Hillary can physically make 4 years. If the Democrats win expect Tim Kaine to take over at some point. In essence it will be another lame duck 4 year cycle.

October 28, 2016 @ 10:39 AM

Hillary seems healthy to me. Throughout this rigorous campaign she still seems to have energy. I'm not sure why you think she can't serve eight years in her condition.

October 28, 2016 @ 10:40 AM

Voice of Sanity

@theguywiththenamethatissurelyironic

I think this explains your delusion: http://www.rawstory.com/2016/08/a-neuroscientist-explains-what-may-be-wrong-with-trump-supporters-brains/

October 28, 2016 @ 10:45 AM

Sigh. This is precisely what I'd like to avoid on this site... citations from urls like thecommonsenseshow.com.

Regardless of your political persuasion, it's safe to say Donald Trump has run the worst major party campaign in modern American history.

October 28, 2016 @ 10:58 AM

The Voice of Reason

Mike, I will not reference any other information. The whole cycle in this election has been disastrous by all means. It would have been refreshing for both candidates to run on an actual platform. The final debate was as close as we were going to get.
I find it interesting that Clinton has refused to do any "Press Conferences".
Either way, if "Western Governments" do not start dealing with the real issues (ie Government debt), our children and grandchildren will likely have less productive lives as they clean up present day issues.

October 28, 2016 @ 11:04 AM

Ben V

Voice of Reason your response to my post made no sense. As you didn't address my point, but continue to prove my point about being a breibart follower, especially with the commonsenseshow link.

Your candidate may not be getting speaking fees, but the business saviour that is Trump has been bankrupt how many times? There is a laundry list of people he has effed on his way to building his brand. A brand that after this election will be worth less than a make america great ball cap.

@Toronto Mike: I don't think he's run the worst campaign, he's been preparing for what comes next. He'll continue to propel his bile to the right wing, uneducated conspiracy theorists that run rampant in the states. Either in the form of Trump TV or a direct sponsorship program with breibart news. I truly don't believe he ever really wanted to be president.

Anyone that thinks Pence is a fit candidate needs to get their head checked. Take a look at what he's done in his state along with what Toronto Mike Mentioned and you have a candidate that is one step away from being a troglodyte

October 28, 2016 @ 11:14 AM

@Ben V

I mean he's run the worst campaign if the end goal is winning the Electoral College. He's been feeding the base with no attempt to broaden his appeal. His base is not enough to win the presidency.

But you're right, if his endgame is an alt-right tea party-esque TV network, he's all set...

October 28, 2016 @ 11:16 AM

The Voice of Reason

Ben, no one is stating that Trump is going to be a great president, I am merely stating that for Canada's sake, he is the lesser of two evils. Calling Hillary a Torpid Sloth would be an insult to actual Torpid Sloths.

October 28, 2016 @ 11:20 AM

Ben V

How would a guy stoking the flames of a very dangerous nationalistic pride in the US, where he essentially wants to isolate the US from the rest of the world would benefit Canada?

October 28, 2016 @ 11:25 AM

Dr. Seymour Light

I spent a few days in Ohio this week, a traditional Republican and swing state. What were unbelievable were the radio and TV ads that are constant. Not how many ads or how much money was being spent, but on both sides, the message being conveyed. It was nothing but negative pounding on the character of each candidate.

Not once, did I hear an ad that communicated the strength and reason while you should vote for the candidate airing the ad. By my limited count Clinton had the most ads (based on polls Wednesday Trump was in the State Lead, which explains the media blast), but by far, Trump had the most billboards and lawn signs…

I give Trump marks for the funniest ad…He was talking about Clintons health and lack of stamina. He said “She has less stamina than Jeb Bush”…Camera cuts to a picture of Bush nodding off in a house chamber somewhere. Funny, because of course, Jeb is a Republican…..

October 28, 2016 @ 11:33 AM

The Voice of Reason

Ben you raise a good point. The issue is that many American companies rely on Canadian resources, such as Steel, Oil and mining related products. I know your argument will be that Clinton played a large part in selling a huge portion of Canadian Uranium to Russian interests a few years ago.
Well Ben, if Hillary gets to the next step, who knows what resources she will "sell" off to foreign interests for her personal gain. If Trump wins, we can count on more cross border trade that will benefit Canada due to our abundance of natural resources.
I would delve deeper, but I am sure you see the point. Google "The Clinton's and Haiti" let me know if you come up with one positive story on that topic. As a person who was on ground zero within a few weeks of the disaster and speaking of someone who has visited Haiti on humanitarian missions for the past several years, I can speak from first hand experience that the country is still in shambles. The Clinton's enriched themselves at Haiti's expense.

October 28, 2016 @ 11:34 AM

Sam in Pickering

@Toronto Mike

I saw on Twitter your Chris Ward episode has been cancelled. Sorry to hear. I know you would have done 80s MuchMusic right!

October 28, 2016 @ 11:34 AM

GUNTer

....and now for a quick change of topic.....
I'm not a big sports fan (cept for leafs) but I came across this very interesting documentary on baseball. Itt is about the phenomena of remembering the worse of sports and not the best. It includes the Bill Bucker story. A first baseman who missed one easy ball and it overshadowed his entire stellar career. Steve Bartman, how the fans of the Cubs essentially ruined this guy's life because he reached for a foul ball. This guy, over the years, has been offered hundreds of thousands of dollars and never accepted a penny and has never done an interview, yet his name lives on as a badguy.
Truly an interesting watch.

give it a whirl

October 28, 2016 @ 11:43 AM

Ben V

@ Voice of Reason: "If Trump wins, we can count on more cross border trade that will benefit Canada due to our abundance of natural resources." I'd love to understand what evidence you have that can backup that statement.

October 28, 2016 @ 11:50 AM

@Sam in Pickering

I might write about the Christopher Ward experience. The problem is I only dealt with the PR person promoting his new book. We were locked and loaded for today at 11am.

Then yesterday, she cancelled. It's the first time a confirmed scheduled guest had ever cancelled. I am disappointed, because I'm well prepared with great audio elements and questions.

But... I do have a guest today. Episode 201 will record this afternoon.

October 28, 2016 @ 11:51 AM

The Voice of Reason

Gunter, I saw that piece when it was first released. As a human, how can you not feel for Bartman. If the Cubs do win, I hope they ensure that he is part of the victory parade.
As well, if the Cubs win Theo Epstien will have punched his ticket to Cooperstown.

October 28, 2016 @ 11:56 AM

Rob J

Is it presumptuous of me to assume that when an obituary notes that the deceased's nickname was 'Smokey', that he died of lung cancer?

October 28, 2016 @ 12:01 PM

Justin

I can't wait to see the reaction of the MSM when Trump wins. Doomsday predictions of the upcoming destruction of the country will be hilarious. This election cycle has totally discredited the MSM as the vast majority of Americans can now see through their unhinged bias. Though much of the hate he gets is self-inflicted (especially with his idiotic comments about women), Donald Trump is the victim of the most strenuous smear-campaign in human history. Everything he says or does is twisted and manipulated. And that makes his supporters like him even more.

After 16 years of Bush and Obama, it's no wonder Americans hate Washington and want a change. Trump - the anti-politician - speaks to them. They're tired of the political, judicial, media, and corporate elites running everything while they feel they have no more voice. A Trump win, I believe, will start the process of handing government back to the people. The influence of the establishment will dramatically decrease under a Trump administration. The government will start working for the people again, as it should be. People of all income levels will have more disposable income with Trump's planned tax cuts and businesses will greatly benefit from large cuts to their inflated corporate tax. The United States will be more competitive again and the economy will be in much better shape under Trump. He will repeal the total disaster of Obamacare and finally deal with the problem of illegal immigration which has been too often ignored. Most importantly, he will run the government like a business for the people instead of running it in a self-serving fashion like the Clintons.

If you look at Trump's actual policies on his website, they aren't radical at all except for on immigration. The rest of his policies? Literally to the left of "moderate" Romney's campaign. But you wouldn't know that based on the way the MSM portrays him. It's a shame Trump has been so stupid making asinine comments all the time because if the focus was just on his platform he'd win in a landslide. Let's hope he still manages to eek out a victory.

October 28, 2016 @ 12:06 PM

Ben V

You can go back under your rock Justin. Your boy harper lost the election when you predicted he wouldn't.

October 28, 2016 @ 12:17 PM

@Justin

The sad injustice on Obamacare that seldom gets mentioned is the that the deductibles are insane. I have a friend in Ohio who had to purchase the insurance. The family deductible alone is over $8000.00 per year.
Could you imagine if OHIP even created a $500 deductible. The people in this province would revolt.

Ben, it is easy to see that you can be taken by mainstream media. My hope for you in your older years is that you do not end up a victim of some third world nation "tax" scam.

October 28, 2016 @ 12:29 PM

Daniel

I do actually agree with trump on 2 points

1) The government system shouldn't be a burden on society where everyone within the kabal protects and benefits others in the kabal to the detriment of society. However he's not going to fix that, you can't fix that unless you change the culture of society back to JFK's point of "what can I do for my country"

2) The Chinese government, through keeping their currency weak, flooding their business with free money, refusing to impose basic labour laws have been flooding global markets with cheap products. He wants to penalize them for that.

However his emotional, rather then rational, knee-jerk reactions to events is not something that you can have in a President. Its dangerous. and I'm not talking about nukes, I'm talking about trade embargos, tax amendments, immigration decisions. These things needs to be thought out, not recklessly decided because you're mad

October 28, 2016 @ 1:12 PM

Anonymous

I'm sick of people justifying their support for Trump in terms of their dislike for the Clintons, for what they perceive will happen to the U.S. Judiciary, etc. You're supporting Trump. Full stop. That means you either believe he's being seriously misrepresented (fine, although I don't understand how this is really a viable claim) OR you're willing to accept his racism, his misogyny, his bullying, his lying. I don't see how you even get to his or the GOP policies without first addressing that.

If you apply the same criteria for Hilary Clinton and still come up empty (although if you follow the liar, criminal, etc line I still don't see how this leads back to Trump), why not look at one of the other 3 Presidential candidates?

October 28, 2016 @ 1:28 PM

The Voice of Reason

Mike, It took a while but I compiled a small list of Hillary related issues. She has scorned her own reputation, The thought of her being the leader of the free world is asinine in many ways.

Admitted Lies

• Chelsea was jogging around the Trade Center on Sept. 11, 2001. (She was in bed watching it on TV.)
• Hillary was named after Sir Edmund Hillary. (She admitted she was wrong. He climbed Mt. Everest five years after her birth.)
• She was under sniper fire in Bosnia. (A girl presented her with flowers at the foot of the ramp.)
• She learned in The Wall Street Journal how to make a killing in the futures market. (It didn't cover the market back then.)

Whoppers She Won't Confess To

• She didn't know about the FALN pardons.
• She didn't know that her brothers were being paid to get pardons that Clinton granted.
• Taking the White House gifts was a clerical error.
• She didn't know that her staff would fire the travel office staff after she told them to do so.
• She didn't know that the Peter Paul fundraiser in Hollywood in 2000 cost $700,000 more than she reported it had.
• She opposed NAFTA at the time.
• She was instrumental in the Irish peace process.
• She urged Bill to intervene in Rwanda.
• She played a role in the '90s economic recovery.
• The billing records showed up on their own.
• She thought Bill was innocent when the Monica scandal broke.
• She was always a Yankees fan.
• She had nothing to do with the New Square Hasidic pardons (after they voted for her 1,400-12 and she attended a meeting at the White House about the pardons).
• She negotiated for the release of refugees in Macedonia (who were released the day before she got there).

October 28, 2016 @ 1:33 PM

@The Voice of Reason

In my opinion, and all I have is my opinion, the choice Americans have is crystal clear. I am shocked when the New York Times reports the numbers suggest Trump has a 10% chance of winning. That number sounds frighteningly high to me considering how black and white it appears to my eyes.

That is all. We'll discuss the results on November 8th.

October 28, 2016 @ 1:38 PM

@Mike
November 8th it is. Until then Go Cubs.

Sorry Cheryl if you are cheering for Cleveland.

October 28, 2016 @ 1:42 PM

Sid_V

When looking for innocuous elevator small talk, I usually strike up a conversation about whether TFC or the Argos are more popular. Works every time.

October 28, 2016 @ 1:43 PM

The only people cheering for Cleveland are those who live in Ohio and Cheryl.

October 28, 2016 @ 1:45 PM

McNulty

Hey Voice of Reason.....
Could you add a lie that you "compiled a list"?

Good job claiming someone else's work is your own.

October 28, 2016 @ 1:45 PM

@Mucnulty

The key thing is that the information is out there.

But as Mike stated, lets discuss in 10 days. Hopefully the Americans don't make the same mistake that Canadians made. A last name should not be a legacy to leadership.

October 28, 2016 @ 1:55 PM

James Edgar

Mike i started the politics today and for that i'm kind of sorry :( Ok really sorry.

" This is why I don't write about politics. It's like me trying to reason with a religious person. There's no point, you just end up feeling deflated." couldn't have said it better myself.

Rossi was 2nd in FP2 so maybe a good result is possible again this week !
Go Cubs.

October 28, 2016 @ 1:55 PM

McNulty

Whatever, VoR.

You condemned someone else for lies and then lied about who complied the list. You're the definition of a hypocrite.

I imagine any opinion you have is probably stolen from someone else anyway.

October 28, 2016 @ 2:10 PM

If you're going to copy and paste a list from somewhere, please cite the source. Liars who say it took some time to compile when they did not compile will have their pants set on fire.

October 28, 2016 @ 2:14 PM

@mcnulty

No insults. When I dug up that piece it did take time to locate it. The democrats have done a great job of minimizing the truth and facts. Not saying Trump is a saint, but if Hillary would have a press conference and discuss the tough questions, it could go either way. If she has rebuttals to every alleged lie that comes from the heart, people will see that and she could win 90% of the vote. If she has something to hide and people see that, the swing could easily go the other way.

Her silence says it all.

Go Cubs.

October 28, 2016 @ 2:15 PM

@Mike

It appears the FBI has "reopened" the Email scandal. This is likely the worst possible news that could happen to the Clinton Campaign.

October 28, 2016 @ 2:30 PM

mrmojorisinca

It may be the worse possible thing to happen but I don't think it will change the outcome.
Someone already said it, but its hard to get past all the things trump is..

October 28, 2016 @ 2:56 PM

Rob J

Wilner may think it's early, but McNulty FTW!

October 28, 2016 @ 3:26 PM

Sid_V

The ongoing attempts by the Trump camp to project their own candidate's flaws onto Hillary would be hilarious if they weren't so ham-handed.

"Hillary is a liar" - coming from a textbook pathological liar who cannot separate truth from fiction
"Hillary is nasty" - unlike who, "fair-minded, likeable Donald"?
"Hillary is entitled" - from a trust-fund millionaire who hasn't paid taxes in two decades
"hillary is corrupt" - from someone who illegally took money from his own, illegal charity to pay personal expenses, court fines, and for huge canvas paintings of himself

Etc. Etc. Etc. I can't believe anyone is falling for it.

October 28, 2016 @ 4:16 PM

@Sid_V

Leaders have to enrich their country first, not themselves.

Hillary is not a leader.

October 28, 2016 @ 4:23 PM

Dr. Seymour Light

I am an AL guy...Go Indians....Looks like it is going to be a great series....

October 28, 2016 @ 4:52 PM

steve w

Once the Blue Jays season ended, so did my interest in MLB.

I have zero interest in the world series, the cubs or the team from the ugliest city in america,

Let's sit back and see what shaw-pie-row and his fart catcher, atkins, have in mind to make our Blue Jays a better team for next season.

As for the American election, America gets what it deserves, neither clinton or trump are worthy of the office, but one of them will land there, and then that's when the show really starts......

I have no use for politicians.

Actually I do, I would substitute lab rats with politicians; or send politicians to Mars; or test new drugs on politicians; or use politicians as crash test dummies; or send THEM off to fight the wars they so quickly support!

Politics is nothing but a shitshow.
And it's a shitshow because of the type/kind of people who participate in politics. No decent individual with any level of fortitude or integrity would subject herself/himself to the filth and scum of today's politics.

I've been successfully self employed for 27 years - and I'm no better off today with Trudeau, part 2, as PM than I was with Harper, Martin/Chretien, Campbell or Mulroney as PM.

Same to be said provincially I'm no better off under the red party than I was when either of the blue or orange party was in power.

Today's politician quickly finds the ways & means to enrich themselves while in office - and to them, it beats working for a living, especially when they only need 6 years to qualify for that golden pension.

And it's all on the back's pf the middle class.

We're over governed,
I pay too much in income tax. 4 levels of government continue to waste public dollars, and they all fall well short of providing efficient and/or timely services to it's constituent's because at each level, they continue to spend more money than they take in.

And local infrastructure continues to fall apart - pick your community, town or city!

...end of rant......

October 28, 2016 @ 6:34 PM

Sid_V

@Voice of Reason,

Hillary is far from my first choice as leader of the USA. Of all the potential candidates, pretty much the only one she looks good against is Trump.

October 28, 2016 @ 6:58 PM

Sid_V

An interesting note - Hillary is criticized for enriching herself, but it is OK for Trump to freeload without paying taxes for two decades? Maybe legal by the letter of the law, but certainly not Leadership.

October 28, 2016 @ 7:00 PM

Gord

Hey Mike...good interview with Humble and Fred...but whats with Humbles attitude...comes off a bit of a snob. Also, he brags about not drinking since whatever yet he smokes up every night. Probably why he sounds so tired by the second hours. Also, any more news about Bullard on 1010. They should have extended Bullard show to 4pm and gotten rid of Jim Richards.

October 28, 2016 @ 8:04 PM

Gord

October 28, 2016 @ 8:05 PM

@Gord

Humble would tell you his pot is healthier for him than drinking every night.

I can tell you Bullard was fired and won't be back on 1010. That's really all I'm willing to put in public at this time.

October 28, 2016 @ 9:49 PM

Brandon

Mike, sorry to hear your Christopher Ward "get" got cancelled. :( Saw you mention that on Twitter also. Was looking forward to it. Maybe if you persist it'll happen - maybe as the book promo tour (presumably) winds down and he can do it not specifically when the book is newly out.

Did you have the sense it was just a scheduling conflict or maybe a "bigger" mainstream place could only do that time or something? Did you get "bumped" for somebody else?

October 29, 2016 @ 12:06 AM

Cheryl

Well, how about those Indians. Great win. They lead 2 to 1. Yes, it was only 1 to 0, but a win is a win and that's great. Indians are winning the World Series. Of course they are. They will do it. Corey Kluber pitches tonight so a win for him and then a win tomorrow and it's all over. How about those Cavs. That was a great win as well. I told you they would win. Cavs are 2 and 0 to start the season and they are going to win tonight as well back home. My Suns lost though. That's no good. They sure blew it in overtime. My Nets won though. That's great. Kean also won last night. It's about time. I thought they would win more, but they're 1 and 3 in this spiel. I got my flu shot yesterday so I am protected from the flu. I won't be getting the flu. My renter is a real bitch. I told her if the cheque is ripped up, she doesn't have to stop payment and then she says as long as she can trust that I will do that. Anyway, she could have and should have waited until the end of December and then said she didn't want it anymore. Now I have to find a new renter for my spot and that will be tough. Oh, Habs over Leafs tonight.

October 29, 2016 @ 5:44 AM

The Voice of Reason

Cheryl, just one question. Can you explain the allegiances to all of your sports teams?

October 29, 2016 @ 9:25 AM

@Brandon

Here's my Christopher Ward story....

99% of the time, I arrange visits with the person I'm conversing with. Ron MacLean, Strombo, Maestro Fresh-Wes, I always spoke with them directly and when we scheduled their visit they came through.

With Christopher Ward, I only ever dealt with a PR person from the publishers of his new book. I guess she's responsible for his media blitz and she booked his time to visit my home. That was supposed to be yesterday morning.

On Thursday afternoon, she wrote me to say they can't fit in the visit. They had the hour for the chat, just no time to physically visit southwest Toronto. This ticked me off because the PR person knew exactly where i recorded, so this is on her, not Christopher, who will soon fly home to LA.

I tweeted my disappointment, and received an email from Christopher. He offered to do the interview via Skype. I have a rule about only doing these things in person, but since I've already done the research and loaded the audio elements, I think I'll try it out on Monday. If it sucks, I won't do it again.

Technically speaking, there is a minor issue when I play audio clips. The person on the other end of the Skype call does not hear what I play. So when I play the City Limits theme, for example, he'll hear dead air.

tl;dr

As an experiment, I'm going to try to record episode 202 with Christopher Ward via Skype because he claims to have no time to visit me during his whirlwind Toronto visit.

October 29, 2016 @ 9:26 AM

Rob J

What is the most useless conversation you could overhear? I nominate "old guys talking about soup".

October 29, 2016 @ 12:16 PM

Brandon

@ Toronto Mike

Interesting. Just logistics, then. There must be a way to get audio down-the-line with Skype along with microphone content, podcasters like Frogpants (The Morning Stream, Filmsack) and TWIT.tv (tech shows) use Skype to do just that for their guests, but I'm not an expert in that area and it might require some fiddling and a software-based or hardware-based mixer adjustment that might not be worth it just for this one episode.

One very low-tech way to do this and still have Christopher react to the audio is just playing it over a phone or device with a speaker, held up to the mic you're using - then later, in post-production, drop in the proper quality and eliminate the part you recorded "live". You'll have to have clean ins/outs though - and I also know you've mentioned on episodes before that you try to do a minimum of post-production/mixing/editing.

Alternative way to do this is you just whistling the music cues or something in place of actual audio. :)

Sorry about the "double comments" and I know you cleaned up one. I see the same thing happened up there to Gord. Site gave a "Gateway Error Timeout" and when I reloaded the page entirely (displaying, not posting mode) after waiting 5-10 seconds it showed my comment was lost and never made it. I posted it again then. Probably I should've waited a few more seconds to see if the first post materialized. It's happened to a few people before I know.

October 29, 2016 @ 12:57 PM

@Brandon

Right now I play the audio on a soundboard on the laptop and it goes through the mixer and therefore the headphones. If I set it to be heard via Skype, it's no longer going through the mixer and not part of the recording. Since this is a one-off, I'm not going to spend too much time on it, I'm just happy I can record the guest via Skype.

It's my goal to record "live to tape" without any post-production. We'll see how #202 turns out.

And yes, the server hosting this site has been struggling a bit, causing some time-outs and the double comments. I'll see if a reboot fixes it.

October 29, 2016 @ 1:14 PM

Jason from Sudbury

Ouch. You guys basically lost me with all the political talk.
@Mike: Hope the Christopher Ward podcast works out, too bad his pr person fucked up.
Besides Christopher Ward and Ash from USS, have you had to deal with any other pr people?

Go Habs go!!

October 29, 2016 @ 1:16 PM

@Jason from Sudbury

I've had to deal with PR for three guests thus far:

Ash from USS
Christopher Ward
Jennifer Valentyne

Ash worked out, although I was only given 30 minutes with him and as you know I prefer much longer episodes.

Christopher didn't work out, but we'll see how the Skype convo goes. Not ideal, but I feel like experimenting here.

The Corus PR person I dealt with regarding Jennifer Valentyne was such a nightmare, I withdrew the invitation. One day, I'll write about this...

October 29, 2016 @ 2:11 PM

Just got my flu vaccine.

October 29, 2016 @ 2:19 PM

Rick C in Oakville

On the heels of Mikes posting of getting the flu vaccine, and shifting to local politics. I see the City of Toronto employees are enjoying their Viagara, and suffering such pain from working for the city, that reimbursements for Fentanyl prescriptions are through the roof.
$250 million ( let me rephrase this), a quarter of a $Billion for their over all drug coverage over 5 years is a lot of coin. Thats a lot of parks, splash pads and infrastructure repair.

October 29, 2016 @ 2:39 PM

The Voice of Reason

Rick, with the skyrocketing (pun intended) costs of male erection pills , we could ultimately see a softening that Detroit has experienced in recent years.

October 29, 2016 @ 2:47 PM

Cheryl

I want to love all these sports teams. I like the way they play. It's great being different. I like it. Anyway, how about those Indians. I said all along they are going to win it all. They are doing just that. One more win and it's over so they will win tonight. Anyway, Corey Kluber wasn't as sharp last night, but that's okay. He still got the win and Jason Kipnis and Carlos Santana got home runs. How about those Cavs as well. They're 3 and 0 because they are picking up from where they left off. They're having another great season. If Nets or Suns don't win it, Cavs will repeat. How about those Habs. Glad to get rid of Subban. He was a good player, but didn't like all his other stuff so Webber is awesome. Habs have not and will not lose a game in regulation. My Coyotes lost though. That's not a good thing. Anyway, football today. No Ravens. My Cardinals play though. Also it's about time the Browns win a game. The Jets are in my pool, but Browns need to win as well.

October 30, 2016 @ 5:47 AM

Nick

Mike, I think you need to have Cheryl as a guest on Toronto Mike'd. It would be a fascinating episode!

October 30, 2016 @ 8:56 AM

anon

Funny how after 8 years of consecutive increases to our hydro rates, all of a sudden they are frozen for Nov. 1, 2016. Thought the OEB was an independent body outside all influence from political parties. Guess it seems Premier Reddenbacher dipped her slimy popcorned-greased hands into this decision. Cant prove it, just a hunch, but emails were probably deleted...... just like the Liberals.

& seems appropriate that the guy Weiner is going to bring down Crooked Hillary's bid. Classified info on his wife's server too? Liberals are such two-faced douche bags, the only thing they got going for them is the overwhelming liberal-media bias. Like Marshal said, u control the medium, u control the message.

October 30, 2016 @ 1:24 PM

@Nick

I honestly don't know if I could meet her compensation demands.

October 30, 2016 @ 2:00 PM

andrew

@Mike

Compensation for Cheryl a 6 pack of Great Lakes Brewery, a free meal from your other sponsor & get her a Habs tshirt.
If you could pull this off with Cheryl it would be the most listened to podcast of yours all time.
She is precious.

October 30, 2016 @ 4:20 PM

@andrew

Let me fix that for you. It would be the most listened to podcast of all time amongst contributors to the Open Mikes.

October 30, 2016 @ 4:22 PM

Cheryl

You know one thing I hate is being pressured. Things are not good right now and I don't want to have to worry about getting somewhere to do this podcast thing especially if I don't get paid for it. I just found out from work that they are upgrading the software and so I have to sign this form to be able to work and I can't get the form open. Also because of my parking renter pulling out on December 1, I can't deposit my December cheque. I hate to take all this out on you, but this podcast thing is more pressure and I will not do it. I will not so don't fricken bug me. Anyway, my Indians lost last night. It was a horrible game. My Suns lost as well. My Suns haven't won a game. Great that my Cavs are winning. My Nets aren't winning either. Anyway, not a good way to start the week.

October 31, 2016 @ 5:31 AM

@Mike

Crushing to learn that Cheryl refuses to be a guest on your podcast. Maybe you could entice her by allowing her to plug her rental for 30 seconds of air time?.

October 31, 2016 @ 7:55 AM

@Cheryl

You do not need to appear on my podcast. You're completely off the hook.

The podcast thing is a lot of pressure and life is tough enough without that.

I hope you were able to open that form and sign it for work.

October 31, 2016 @ 9:45 AM

Ben V

Voice of Reason: Perhaps you can put together a list of reasons for Cheryl to come on. This time don't spend as much time putting together a list as you did on your last effort in this thread. If there is a list already out there, just remember to reference the source.

October 31, 2016 @ 11:25 AM

collingwood dave

I would love to hear Cheryl on your pod cast, with all of her favorite teams. But I have to admit the Habs are looking good this year....

October 31, 2016 @ 12:45 PM

Rob J

@TM
Was your co-host Elvis in attendance at BMO last night?

October 31, 2016 @ 3:10 PM

@Rob J

He was. He's very happy.

October 31, 2016 @ 4:24 PM

Larry

Trump will win. Hillary is toast.

October 31, 2016 @ 4:24 PM

twins from bolton

Halloween is a time for kids. Mine are 24 yrs old with their own life.
For 33 years we have always given out treats regardless of if or not we had kids.
We used to get over 200 kids years ago here & now maybe 50 with many neighbors lights off.

1 kid maybe 9 or 10 came to my door & I gave them 2 treats, not in their bag but in their hand & I said why "because by parents want to see what everyone gives me & then they took a pic. of my on their Ipod". I immediately said this is is BS & went to parents waiting at end of my driveway, invasion of privacy & they said we just want to make sure if anything goes wrong. They were4 doing this with everyone, not just not me. WTF.
Talk about Helicopter Moms. This kid must be a charm at school?

October 31, 2016 @ 8:23 PM

GUNTer

@twins
OMG this is unbelievable story!!!! I think trick or treating is just too dangerous for those kids - their parents should keep them home in a bubble. WOW! the mind boggles.

this year I had about the same number as last 35-40. 15 years ago I used to get 100-120. no spectacular costumes (I did have a Hillary/Donald combo that was pretty good). a lot of the kids didn't even say 'trick or treat'! it bums me out because Halloween is the only holiday I enjoy and acknowledge.

October 31, 2016 @ 10:32 PM

We had about 30 kids tonight, or so I'm told. I was out with my 2 year old snowman. He had a blast.

October 31, 2016 @ 11:15 PM

Cheryl

No means no. I will not be on the podcast. It would mean getting somewhere and who knows where. Answer is a firm no, I will not. As for the form, it got emailed back to me and was readable, but they wanted to know all this technical stuff so the manager said don't worry, we will get a help desk person to contact you in a few days and said the software isn't changing right away, but it will change in the near future. Who knows if it will work or not, but the form says to go to this speed test site and connect to Chicago. There is no Chicago link on that site. Anyway, bad sports night last night. My Suns and Nets both lost. They have to pull it together at some point. My Coyotes and Cavs will win tonight. My Indians need to win, but I'm nervous. I don't want a game 7 so go Indians. Please put this thing away.

November 1, 2016 @ 7:58 AM

@Cheryl

You're right. No means no.

It's my podcast and I'm saying you don't have to come on. Ignore the others.

November 1, 2016 @ 8:40 AM

Argie

I think Cheryl is just playing hard to get. I could be wrong though...

November 1, 2016 @ 8:55 AM

Jason from Sudbury

@Mike and Cheryl:
So right now isn't a good time for Cheryl with everything she has going on, but what about later on down the road? Hell, Mike you could even make arangements to get her over to your place? Its just a thought. Because seriously I think lots of people would listen, I think most people want to know more about Cheryl after all these years of seeing her contributions out here.

November 1, 2016 @ 9:58 AM

I would just like to make it ultra clear to Cheryl that she never, ever has to appear on my podcast.

November 1, 2016 @ 10:04 AM

Sandra

Curious if Dean Blundell ever spoke about Derek Welsman's conduct on previous podcasts that has now caused this...

How irresponsible can people be??

November 1, 2016 @ 10:07 AM

@Sandra

I did ask Derek about this in episode 166. The trial talk starts at 1:18.

It was stupid, no doubt. By all other accounts, however, he's a genuinely nice person. My experiences with him over the years, and there have been several, have all been golden.

Sometimes good people do stupid things.

November 1, 2016 @ 10:12 AM

Jason from Sudbury

@Mike: I know that Cheryl does not have to and is not obligated to appear on the podcast, I was simply throwing out a suggestion.

November 1, 2016 @ 11:45 AM

@Jason from Sudbury

Oh I know... I can explain this better via email. Let's just say I have to be very clear because.... well... email me! :)

November 1, 2016 @ 11:54 AM

Sid_V

Humble and Fred talked about Derek and the overturned trial recently. They also reiterated that Derek is a great guy and a solid radio producer.

Blundell has "refused comment" on the whole thing, even though it was his show and he was a full participant (if not the instigator of the whole deal). Seems about right for him.

November 2, 2016 @ 8:45 AM

@Sid_V

I think there's some confusion as to what the actual problem was with Derek's comments.

When picked for the jury, Derek swore under oath he was not homophobic. The comments Derek made on 102.1 that day were deemed homophobic in nature, therefore it was fair to assert the openly gay accused did not get a fair trial.

Derek and I talked about this in episode 166. He shouldn't have engaged in that chat and he knows it.

And yes, he seems to be an otherwise fantastic human being.

November 2, 2016 @ 8:56 AM

Cheryl

I am all stressed out. Nobody has contacted me yet about the upgrade and then next week we will have to use something called Webclock. Thing is I get no support at all, getting told some support person will contact me, nothing happens. We get no notice, nothing. Anyway, my Coyotes and Cavs won. That's the good news. I can count on my Cavs at 4 and 0. Anyway, my Indians lost. It's horrible. They were going to win it all. Now there is going to be a game 7. I really want them to win, but I don't know.

November 2, 2016 @ 8:59 AM

Sid_V

@TM, your clarification is appreciated. (I did not listen to #166, since there are still a number of others I need to get through first). The media and talk radio coverage does not make it clear what the actual issue was that caused the conviction to be thrown out.

However, the courts may also be missing or disregarding that the role that radio personalities "play" on the radio do not necessarily reflect the same values that they hold in private life. At the very least, they will be exaggeration for the sake of good radio. Deciding that a guy is biased and unable to make an informed, objective decision in a serious trial, because of a short radio bit, is somewhat ridiculous.

November 2, 2016 @ 10:21 AM

@Sid_V

I hear ya, but if you do determine his comments to be homophobic in nature, and the trail was held under the assumption none of the 12 jurors were homophobic, you can see the legal dilemma here.

November 2, 2016 @ 10:23 AM

Jason from Sudbury

I'm thinking that Blundell has not commented since he is now on a different station.

November 2, 2016 @ 2:25 PM

And really, this wasn't about Blundell. I'm not the man's biggest fan, but he wasn't on the jury. His homophobia (or perceived homophobia) doesn't affect the fairness of the man's trial. It was Derek's comments that resulted in the successful appeal.

If I were Blundell, I'd have no comment as well.

November 2, 2016 @ 2:28 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Hey Mike, surprised no mention of Gord Downie's Secret Path project.
Really a Canadian travesty , could never imagine my kids ever taken from me and being sent to one of these institutions.
Macleans has been re- releasing stories from their 1967 edition covering this calling it the Runaway Project.
Couldn't believe the numbers that tried to escape, and lost or nearly lost their lives.

November 2, 2016 @ 5:44 PM

@Rick C in Oakville

Oversight on my part. Just been a little busy lately. I promise to get to this.

November 2, 2016 @ 6:45 PM

You're a cruel

re: Toronto Mike @torontomike
And everyone knows 4-1 is a much more precarious lead in baseball. 4-1 is a done deal in the 7th game of a hockey series.

LOL\GRRR .. You're a cruel, cruel man TorontoMike :)

November 2, 2016 @ 9:42 PM

@You're a cruel

Too soon?

If we don't laugh, we cry.

November 2, 2016 @ 9:48 PM

You're a cruel

If only Frattin had scored on that breakaway .. *sigh* ..

November 2, 2016 @ 9:55 PM

@You're a cruel

Ask my wife how high I leapt when Kadri made it 4-1. I was so very, very happy.

November 2, 2016 @ 10:04 PM

Rob J

Quick reminder to Leaf fans What the Cubs did tonight literally has zero influence on your team`s chances of doing likewise.

November 3, 2016 @ 1:35 AM

Cheryl

Well, my Indians didn't win. That was not good at all. They lead three games to one and then blow it which is not good. Anyway, my Habs won though. I can count on them. They never lose. Carey Price is so good. Also Shea Webber very good and Alex Radulov very good. Habs are winning the cup. It's about time. Also my Nets won for a change, their second win though and my Suns also won their first finally. It's about time. My Cavs will win tonight. I will have a friend come over tomorrow and someone from the help desk will call me and install the software and then we can figure it out, but we have to learn it all by next week. It sucks, it really does.

November 3, 2016 @ 7:54 AM

Rob J

The 'Talking Simpsons' boys did a great job disecting the venerable 'Mr Plow' episode this week. Thanks again, TM, for alerting your podcast listeners to this amazing deep-dive.

November 3, 2016 @ 8:53 PM