Auston Matthews Makes History

Auston Matthews made his regular season NHL debut last night in Ottawa and scored four goals.

It's the first time in the history of the NHL that a player scored four goals in his first game.

auston

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how you make an entrance.

Al The Royal Pain

Not that I think this will be anywhere near the same outcome...but I remember another notable first game by a Toronto Blue Jay named J,P. Arencebia. Hit a 2-run home run on the first pitch of his first at-bat, then a double, then a single and then another home-run... He almost hit for the cycle in his first game. Fifth player to ever hit two HRs in his debut, first modern era player to have four hits in his debut.

Again, I don't think this will end up the same way, but I know Toronto Sports fans (the image in this post is so very predictable), let's not anoint this kid yet...he's just a kid and this city eats its young if they're not equipped to handle the pressure. It's a promising start, let's just not ruin it by overreacting. I know that's impossible in this city.

October 13, 2016 @ 9:52 AM

Rob

The crazy thing was the goals all looked effortless. Not one of them was some fortunate bounce or banging in a loose puck.

It is funny in the past the hype train among fans has been out of proportion in this city. We typically planned parade routes when a mediocre product was on the ice and put unfair expectations on players. With Shanahan the city learned to lower their expectation and with open arms accepted a slow rebuild. So while there was hype surrounding Matthews, I felt fans have kept there expectations reasonable. After tonight's game it feels like the city was rewarded for the first time in a long time. He exceeded most peoples expectations. It is only one game and I'm sure there will be struggles for Matthews ahead, but I don't think we realised how good this kid can become until last night.

October 13, 2016 @ 9:58 AM

Al The Royal Pain

I love reading the comments in that post! Hopes were so high about him.

Again, completely different scenario to AM, who has been touted for a long time, whereas J.P. kind of came out of nowhere. But it should serve as a cautionary tale.

October 13, 2016 @ 10:07 AM

mrmojorisinca

Babs had it right..all the kids played real well last night..
if the vets can step up and play good then we have a team that can entertain us to say the least :)
but hold off on any parades..lets see what the next two years yields us..

October 13, 2016 @ 10:12 AM

In that JPA thread, Cheryl mentions how much she hates baseball.

My how times have changed...

October 13, 2016 @ 10:16 AM

Alan

I've been watching the Leafs since the 60's and last night was definitely one of the greatest individual performances by a Leaf I've seen in a long time. I know it's only one game, but I do think there is hope for the future in Leaf land. And hey the other youngsters weren't looking too shabby either.

October 13, 2016 @ 10:23 AM

Rob

The thing with JP is that he was never a highly regarded prospect.

It was known in the minors he would be below average defensive catcher with a decent bat and some power. I think most fans the followed the farm system figured his ceiling was a .260 hitter with 20 home runs. Which given what we were used to at that point fans would gladly accept below average defending for a respectable batter.

Because he wasn't a highly regarded prospect casual fans didn't know who he was when he made that memorable debut. The expectations from the fan base were far beyond anything that JP was expected to be from experts. Unfortunately, the pressure seemed to have got him and his batting didn't reach anywhere near what he did in the minors with exception to his power. If he was even close to an average batter he would at the very least be a serviceable back up you put in when you need a hit or in the DH slot in a favourable match up.

I think the Jays fan base now is much more educated in regards to the farm system. I don't think that will happen again anytime in the near future where people put such unrealistic expectation on such a mediocre prospect. Even with Sanchez/Stroman whom have the potential be aces, the fans seem to be extremely patient with them and reasonable when they have a misstep. This could only be because we're winning and people tend to focus on the negative when losing...but I do feel Jays fans are much smarter these days.

October 13, 2016 @ 10:41 AM

James Edgar

Wow. I didn't watch and probably won't for a while but I admit I'm intrigued. That raelly makes me think they are finally going in the right direction.

October 13, 2016 @ 12:09 PM

elvis

This is one of the worst scenarios I can imagine. I'm very very nervous about his future now.

October 13, 2016 @ 3:44 PM

Auston Matthews was drafted first overall. Every hockey analyst considered him the best 18 year old in the world.

Let's not compare him to JPA...

Auston Matthews appears to be exactly what we were told he'd be. We just need him to remain healthy.

October 13, 2016 @ 3:46 PM

Jason from Sudbury

Yeah, Matthews scored 4 goals, but yet the Laffs still managed to lose. lol

Go Habs go!!

October 13, 2016 @ 6:10 PM

dale

Auston has ice in his veins. He is a VERY mature 19 year old with his pressers. If you listen it's never ever about him as it's the TEAM & happy to be part of it. That's what makes him a professional.
After yesterday's 4 goal record breaking performance in NHL he commented as the Leafs lost in O/T "I should have played better defensively & the O/T goal was my fault".

Marner was the next best player on Leafs last night.

October 13, 2016 @ 6:45 PM

elvis

@Jason from Sudbury - I know you wouldn't understand this because of your team affiliation, but anything other than 0-82 this year for the Leafs is a bad thing. If we lose 5-4 every game, I'll 100% ok with that. For the first time, many Leaf fans feel the same way.

October 14, 2016 @ 9:15 AM