Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 184: Avery Haines

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 184In this 184th episode, Mike chats with Avery Haines about her sister's musical career, her controversial episode at CTV NewsNet, her years at CityTV and sharing her story of love following the shooting in Orlando. This episode is exactly 1:26:54.

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Avery Haines and Me

Become a Patron

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

chris

Fluidity? What does that mean.
Great podcast overall.
The closet door is now open & I have no problem with that at all.

July 22, 2016 @ 10:05 PM

Karen

Great chat!

July 22, 2016 @ 11:00 PM

Not Ann!

I thought Avery was a girl's name, too. :)

It's official. Avery is both a great interviewer and interviewee.

July 23, 2016 @ 8:17 AM

Faunie

Great interview Mike. I have always enjoyed and respected her interviews on CITY.
She appears to be an all around beautiful person.

July 23, 2016 @ 11:47 AM

Douglas

I had not seen Avery Haines for I don't know how long. Until I saw the photo above, it never occurred to me that she might be Emily Haines' sister. Emily Haines being mostly blonde for years now likely kept me from making the association, despite the same last name. Then the photo above. CLICK! (no pun intended, although it fits)

There was some interviewing necessary, but most of the "show" was just a nice conversation. If Emily got the singing voice in the family, Avery got a lovely speaking voice.

July 23, 2016 @ 3:18 PM

Jillian

But not a word about Gord Martineau...did she ask you not to go there?

July 23, 2016 @ 7:02 PM

@Jillian

No, Avery didn't ask me to avoid any subject matter.

July 23, 2016 @ 7:36 PM

Anon&on

Wow! Fabulous!
It's been so long since I've had cable (or a TV) that I had no idea who Avery Haines was (sounded familiar but maybe because of her sister, plus I was never a CTV news fan), so I had zero expectation/familiarity going into this episode, including the controversy. Superb!
The RNCinCLE talk was fantastic, really appreciated hearing that perspective, so fresh and relevant.

Avery has the perfect radio/audio voice. It's like the epitome of the CBC sound. I wonder why she isn't on the CBC? That's the only thing I'm left wondering from this episode. Reminds me of Jill Dempsey, I think of her voice as the signature sound of the CBC.

A Brit comedy sketch that has stuck in my brain since the 80's (either Smith & Jones or Not The Nine O'clock News) had two suits in a boardroom listening to an exec talk about a position opening in the company, and how they should expand their horizons to include female, handicapped, wheelchair etc applicants. The exec leaves and the suits look at each shrugging 'his relatives always get the good positions'.
Great convo Thanks!

July 23, 2016 @ 8:24 PM

Aaron

I love this ep. Nice job.

July 24, 2016 @ 9:36 AM

Handsome Rob

Great conversation. Loved how Avery left you hanging out there while you tiptoed around the whole relationship questioning. Think she enjoyed that part.

A suggestion: you need to compress the shit out of your podcasts. I had the volume in the car up to max and it was just loud enough? Consider that I went straight from this episode to H&Fs chachie episode, almost blew my speakers. Turned there's down 2/3rds. I've noticed yours seem to be all over the place volume wise? Maybe there's no way to tell before uploading, I don't know. Just putting it out there.

July 25, 2016 @ 7:31 PM

@Handsome Rob

Figuring out what my compression settings should be is definitely high on my to-do list. I promise I'll figure this out.

July 25, 2016 @ 7:33 PM

New plan. After I compress the file with Audacity, I'll amplify it. I'm doing it now with this episode and I'll do it with episode 185, recording tomorrow.

Handsome Rob, please listen to tomorrow's episode and tell me if it's better.

July 25, 2016 @ 8:10 PM

Handsome Rob

@TM
For sure and I'll let you know.
Just wanted to mention it as you were talking about it a podcast or two before. Gallagers was similar but I think some of that was him getting off the mic.

July 25, 2016 @ 9:23 PM

James Edgar

Great talk Mike.

I didn't think i'd listen to it all but then suddenly the lowest of the low were playing.

Thanks