Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 181: John "Spike" Gallagher

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 181In this 181st episode, Mike chats with John Gallagher about his years at Q107, CityTV and TSN, how he saved Mark Wahlberg's life, his time on Zoomer Radio and so much more. This episode is exactly 1:18:04.

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

20160628_194728

Become a Patron

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Rob J

It sounds fine!

June 28, 2016 @ 9:08 PM

Good.

A few hours before John Gallagher's visit, I turned on the MacBookPro to do a quick test. The little wheel spun and spun and never did get to the login screen. It simply wouldn't turn on.

So, I got an old windows laptop and set it up to record with Audacity. My awesome soundboard on the Mac doesn't seem to have a Windows equivalent. I ended up using the one tweeted at me here: https://twitter.com/stillwellgray/status/747863236985393152

I'm glad to hear it sounds fine after that frenzy. In the beginning, I noticed John was moving off mic, but I think he settled down.

This episode easily could have been 3 hours long, so we decided to make it a two-parter, with part two being recorded when his book comes out.

June 28, 2016 @ 9:15 PM

Rob J

One thing I take away from your convos is how genuinely nice and accommodating the guests seem to be. Really is a special thing you've got going!

June 28, 2016 @ 10:48 PM

Aaron

Holy fuck that was fun.

Full throttle assault. Poor Erin Davis!

June 28, 2016 @ 11:03 PM

GUNTer

this is I think the 2nd show I've listened to (could be the third) - I only listened because I love John so much!
this was awesome! I used to actually run into him once in a while back in the day at rock n' roll heaven. holy shit those were some fun times. I didn't actually hang with him - I was on the fringe sorta kinda. but my best pal at the time was a very beautiful girl - so she got us into some fun situations. wooooeeee.
the part where he openly discusses salary was fascinating to me. I had no idea of the kinda dough people like him were making - in the 80s!!! wow!
a few years back, when my dad was still alive I was at his place one day. he was a strictly classical station kinda guy - I hear john's voice and I was just blown away that he was on a classical station. imo wasn't a good fit - just weird.
glad to hear he has a book coming out. his stories are so wild and random!
seriously though this was some great listening. thanks john and thanks mike.

June 29, 2016 @ 1:07 PM

@GUNTer

Thanks!

It's time to listen to a third (or fourth) episode!

Pick one from here: http://www.torontomike.com/2014/11/cant_miss_toronto_miked_episodes.html

June 29, 2016 @ 1:27 PM

Downtown

Ran into JG a few times over the years - even played hockey with him at least twice (he's a solid, vocal goalie). One of the rare entertainment people who seems virtually the same privately as publicly. A pretty great dude, without any b.s. or arrogance. Also rivals George Hamilton for overall perma-tan.

June 29, 2016 @ 2:30 PM

Cecil (Not Fielder)

That's some manic energy you had to harness there. I thought you did a great job.

Excellent episode.

June 29, 2016 @ 2:32 PM

Al The Royal Pain

This was one of my favourites! Loved John's manic energy and stories. Looking forward to his future appearance.

June 29, 2016 @ 5:00 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Always enjoyed Gallaghers sports casts on City, lots of natural energy he has.

June 30, 2016 @ 6:46 AM

The Voice of Reason

@Mike

Mike, this is likely the best podcast so far. Keep up the great work.

June 30, 2016 @ 3:08 PM

Blind Dave

I'm halfway through and yes, it's a great ep. He did move off mic a few times and it was hard to hear, especially as I was on a treadmill. The stories are honest and sincere, and while I usually don't care for very open, overly-energetic, talkative people, there is something about Spike I have always liked. I think it's the honesty and you know exactly what you get from him.

I will buy the book and I will look forward to part two.

July 1, 2016 @ 2:10 PM

Earlier today I tried to amplify John during those times he went off-mic. I've uploaded a new mp3 over the old one. If the episode is 1:18:04 long, you're hearing the amplified audio version.

July 1, 2016 @ 2:12 PM

Javed Jafri

I listen to many of your podcasts and did to this one and it was interesting as usual. I have some John Gallagher on my site on a broadcast called "David Pritchard Q 107 Psychedelic Sunday Part Two". This is the second part of a rare appearance by David Pritchard on Q 107. Always wondered if anyone had more information about MR Pritchard's brief Q tenure. Can you ask about this Mike when you have the part two with J.G,

July 2, 2016 @ 12:49 AM

Anon&on

You gotta get Frank. Spike sent me down the Frank wormhole. Look at the cast of his movie! I'm definitely watching this movie! Maybe do a remote if you're worried, but this is a must do. The clip of Spike on Frank (where he came from just before TO Mike'd) is available for viewing. Great backdrop!

July 2, 2016 @ 9:24 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Finally got a chance to listen to the end, quite the stunning personal story about Gallaghers father at the end. You pull the real conversations out of your guests Mike, 2 thumbs up!

July 3, 2016 @ 10:49 PM

Alan

Not the best sounding ep in the series, but I sure didn't have to turn it off. The content was awesome.

July 5, 2016 @ 3:13 PM

Anonymous

That was sure one of a hell of a fun ride.. lets do it again for Gallagher part demux!!

Great job Mike & thanks for sharing John.. one of my top 10 faves for sure.. maybe even 5.. I'll have to listen again at some point.

September 2, 2016 @ 11:11 PM