Corus Makes Cuts at Global TV

Corus recently bought Global TV owner Shaw Media for $2.65 billion in cash and shares. Yesterday, they made a few significant cuts.

Let's start with the cancellation of 16X9. 16X9 was an award-winning Canadian newsmagazine program. We're talking investigative news at a time when fewer and fewer news outlets are employing such people. Troy Reeb, Corus Entertainment’s SVP news, radio and station operations, issued a memo lauding 16X9.

Over its eight seasons, it broke ground editorially and visually – winning countless awards and international recognition. The program, and its team, has made lasting contributions to the field of investigative journalism, and we are committed to continuing to invest in this area.

Nothing demonstrates a commitment to investigative journalism like the cancellation of 16X9. I've never been an SVP of anything, but this seems like a rather large step in the exact opposite direction.

16X9_logo_pos_colour-1024x392

Meanwhile, on Global TV's The Morning Show, host Liza Fromer has been let go. Technically, her contract isn't being renewed, but the result is the same. You won't see Liza Fromer on Global TV any longer.

This move has upset my mother who still misses Dave Gerry on that show. She's been a fan of Fromer's since her Breakfast Television days.

Kris Reyes, it seems, has quit her job on Global TV.

Like so many people, we want to be more creative, we want to test out new methods and we want a chance to work on something that we can grow. Personally, I just want to tell more stories. All the while, finding new adventures and sticking together.

Kris and I want the exact same thing.

Anon and On and On and On

Unless Corus is about to unveil a show to replace 16x9, they're doing the opposite of their PR spin.

Because nothing speaks to a commitment of supporting 'investigative journalism' quite like axing an award winning program that is all about investigative journalism. *eyeroll*

June 29, 2016 @ 10:39 AM

Dave Coulton

Makes no logical sense in my opinion. Dollars and cents I guess.
Yes, mom was correct.....Lisa was great and unique ever since her days on BT. Also a local talent from KW. No mention if Jeff MacArthur - staying or leaving. He does an afternoon radio
show on Corus Toronto so still part of the family I suppose.

June 29, 2016 @ 12:33 PM

@Dave Coulton

Yes, Jeff MacArthur is still on The Morning Show.

June 29, 2016 @ 1:28 PM

Steve

Not really surprising considering Global is a third, possibly fourth-rate network in Canada (close call between Global and City).

I've read about CTV's and CBC's investigative programs breaking stories and such, but never read anything about 16x9 in any non-Shaw media. The little I saw of their morning show wasn't great compared to other offerings from US and Canadian cable networks.

June 29, 2016 @ 2:59 PM

Brad

Looking at the Global Toronto website, they have removed noon news anchor Rosey Edeh's profile, along with Liza.

June 29, 2016 @ 9:13 PM

Vic

Global was already operating more and more like a budget news station over the past 5 years and I didnt see how things could get any worse over there.

Well apparently Corus has apparently found a way by cutting 16:9 and soon they'll find a way to make the Global newscast appear even more budget then they already is.

Who would have thought that things would be going down a slippery slope from the heydays of Leslie Roberts and Anne-Marie Mediwake. Say what you want about Leslie, the two of them had great chemistry.

June 29, 2016 @ 10:27 PM

Barry

I'm surprise to hear Kris Reyes is leaving Global. The reasons she gives are vague. Wasn't she just moved to an anchor role this year? I wonder if there were some changes coming that hastened her departure.

It's a shame that Liza Fromer was let go. I always liked her in her BT days, probably because we're the same age (and both were big Spoons fans in high school). I hope she lands somewhere; I doubt her former employers -- CH and City -- have room for her though, so it could be tough.

There was a time when Global seemed to be growing into something big, but alas, the momentum couldn't be sustained and they've slowly deteriorated into a place that looks like it's just trying to keep the lights on. A common story in these days of a rapidly changing media landscape.

June 30, 2016 @ 12:14 PM

Hans

Barry - if memory serves isn't there also some hostility at City from the way she left in the first place? If it's so I can't imagine her going back there even if there was a spot. I doubt Liza would want to be there given the current state of affairs at City.

I recall a time where it seemed that Global was the station to tune into for TV shows and such, mostly US imports, NFL football and people would stick around for the news and such. How times have change and how it looks like Global is now being left int he dust.

June 30, 2016 @ 1:33 PM

Barry

@ Hans

Admittedly, I know nothing about the circumstances of her departure from City. I remember it being announced that she was leaving, and I remember it seeming sudden, but I don't think I ever heard why. I think I ended up assuming that they pushed her out to get the Dina Pugliese in.

June 30, 2016 @ 1:42 PM

Soan

Barry, you are onto something. Remember BT when she left?...She wasn’t pushed out. She left. She didn’t want to co-host, she wanted her own show and so it continued at Global.

Liza Fromer only has chemistry with herself and that’s why she’s gone. She can’t handle co-hosting. She wants to be THE Host and that’s it. I worked as a guest host with her numerous times and times haven’t changed.

As a host, she only smiles and is engaged when she is talking. When someone else talks she looks down, turns cold and disengages. Sitting next to Liza is like sitting next to ice-except ice is useful on a hot day. Liza will throw her head back and laugh wildly when she is talking about cleaning the lint from her dryer but when a co-host says something funny--the whole table is laughing-- except Liza.

When the camera lights are off during commercial breaks Liza looks down and has nothing to say. It is all too fake for this day and age.

I hope someone gives Liza her TMS mug as a parting gift. I’m glad I won’t have to see her drink like a camel the next time her co-host has something meaningful to say. Anyone with on-camera training will know this large persistent gesticulation is intended to distract from what her co-host is saying. It’s narcissistic and petulant.

Liza iced-out so many people. People who supported her and kept her informed. This “lack of chemistry” that Global staffers throw around about Liza is really a lack of respect for her co-hosts and colleagues. People devoted a lot to the show and she let them down.

Five co-hosts were removed not to mention the producers and interns who had to deal with difficult times. Liza is the type of host who needs the support of a team to prop her up and prep her and she iced everyone talented out so that the show devolved into what it is today.

She is the maker of her own demise.

June 30, 2016 @ 4:38 PM

Tron

This is a total kick in the gut. I am a big fan of Liza ever since her BT days I thought she was a standout. She a great interviewer who can do the normal morning fluff, but she also step up and do a good intense interview with strong follow up question on the right occasion. I like her personality as she is likeable, but she also has a bit of edge to her that is unique for the timespot. I really wish LIza the best.

Global Morning show was my go to place since it started, it got even better when they added Carolyn (who BTW is my favorite news anchor) in the daytime Carolyn showed more personality and mixed really well with Liza when they had an opportunity to work off each other. I didn't find any other show even close. I wonder if having 2 attractive blondes on the same show had something to do with it, I hope not as whatever their look is they brought something unique to the table

With Canada AM going under I thought this was the perfect opportunity to pick up some of their old audience over the summer before the new show start. Without Liza it seems like they are going back to square one. I think somebody on twitter said it best, what a world we live in when Ben Mulrooney has a show and somebody as talented as Liza doesn't.

Does these mergers every work for the talent or the audience. It always ends up with people closing their job and other job being streamlined. Personally I always thought Corus sucked in media, look how stagnant their local AM radio side is and people stay there forever, yet they take over the TV side and cut a talented woman and an investigative news program, it really makes you wonder. BTW where this Global news network they were pushing last year? Did I miss any news on that?

July 1, 2016 @ 7:03 PM

susan

It's about time management took an honest look at the Global Morning Show. B-O-R-I-N-G

I think Liza is smart but her annoying voice & laugh drove me up the wall and I couldn't watch because of it.

July 5, 2016 @ 3:45 PM

a_lovely_mess

I'll confirm what Soan was saying.

My friend worked on BT in the background and she said that when Liza started she very embarrassingly threw herself at Frankish in hopes of furthering her career. She had done the same previously when she hooked up with Bill Carroll at Q107 (she was 19 and he was in his 30's going with her to Ryerson parties, it totally creeped everyone out, but when he couldn't get her a permanent job at the station, she dropped him like a hot potato.)

When Frankish rebuffed her, in 4 months she met and married her now ex-husband.

She's a real piece of work.

I'm guessing she's going to go after a spot at Canada AM.

If that doesn't work, she'll go the Mommy Club, like Erica Ehm and Rebecca Eckler and try to cash in on her fame and shill for cash.

July 5, 2016 @ 6:28 PM

Colton_Cash

Bill Carroll was a regular feature on Liza's show for a year, where they had rather unengaging conversations about the day's hot news topic. Ugh, it's going to creep me out big-time thinking of him as her ex-boyfriend(?) now. Yet he clearly was pissed off at her before she got the gig on TMS, as pointed out here:

I find it hard to believe Liza was ever actually hitting on Frankish, perhaps the BT staff just interpreted it incorrectly because I always saw it was more like a "father figure" vibe with the young upstart woman trying to learn the ropes from a seasoned old pro. She's always been VERY flirtatious, if anyone still remembers the infamous kiss that she shared with Dave Gerry on the air and which stupidly then got shown over and over again in promos for the show. That flirtiness can be mistaken for her trying to come on to someone when it's probably intended as playful.

Personally I've grown to like her more over the run of TMS, for actually being more upfront about her vices (she admits to smoking - something she kept denying on BT until her own mom outted her on live TV, to smoking pot, cursing like a sailor, letting her kids watch inappropriate TV shows, etc). She always seemed a bit fake on BT, and on TMS she probably stopped giving a shit what people thought of her and just let it out to hang. I prefer on-air people who have flaws than fake people who pretend to be perfect and wholesome.

July 7, 2016 @ 12:39 AM

Colton_Cash

...correction, she chatted with John Oakley, not Bill Carroll (who used to do the 6pm news chats with Leslie Roberts). Apologies.

July 7, 2016 @ 12:53 AM

Aacruise

I believe Soan's observation. I got surprised when the hosts were replaced with all white anchors except for the Asian video of the day commentator. Liza seemed clueless sometimes of how her demeanor is seen on TV. MacArthur and Fromer are actually the same personality. Nothing magical about their being the face of TMS. Just fake people.

July 11, 2016 @ 9:08 AM

anonymous

Mcarthur is so damn boring! TV or radio. Neither cool, despite his leather-jacket youtubes, nor funny.

July 11, 2016 @ 2:31 PM

Paisley Collins

Surprised not to see Liza Frommer on Morning Show today. What a mistake on Global's part. Her replacement isn't as quick or dynamic and the co-host chemistry is completely lost. Am finding something else going forward. Disappointed ex-viewer.

July 20, 2016 @ 11:55 AM

Quamrul Islam

Not seeing Liza on TMS for last few days I was wondering what n when something changed! Only today found that professional intricacies n competition played a part!!!. Likings n disliking are part of everyday life but I guess MTS is the loser when it lost Liza. I watch her since BT days n can tell some talents demand n deserve handing differently. MTS is no more on my list. I wish Liza more successful future on another program

July 22, 2016 @ 12:47 AM

Quamrul Islam

July 22, 2016 @ 12:47 AM

Ignatz Zayatz

With Liza gone from TMS, who am I going to pull to when I wake up? Dina seems so fake and tom-boyish and no one on CP24 does it for me. Carolyn, maybe; so long as they don't show the side profile of her face shot. Nose is too pointy, eyes too beady. The Weather Network it is, I guess.

PS. Jeff McArthur is stiff and as interesting like cardboard. No inflection, no dynamics in his voice. If you were in a room with him and there was a fire, you'd never know it from him. And please get rid of the little Vietnamese guy - his nerdish look and delivery are pathetic. The man has no command of his voice. He does not represent the LGBTQ community well.

July 25, 2016 @ 8:52 AM

jl macphee

I agree with Paisley Collins, I think Global made a mistake getting rid of Liza. I also think that Liza and Jeff had great chemistry. That was the reason I loved to watch.

July 25, 2016 @ 8:33 PM

Josephine

Liza Fromer was a breath of fresh air. I looked forward to seeing her every morning on TMS. Her interview skills were excellent and her natural and original approach to all subjects made her a delight to watch. She made the morning show and I will no longer watch it because she is gone. Good luck in your future endeavours, Liza. You have thousands of loyal fans across the city.

July 25, 2016 @ 9:46 PM

hobendorfer

I agree with jl macphee. Liza and Jeff had great chemistry. I've lost interest in the show completely. I also wonder why the Vietnamese guy is there with his absurd fashion or lack of.

July 25, 2016 @ 9:59 PM

Ron

The Morning Show is not the same without Liza. I remember her from her days on BT. Former has found her own style of being a news/tv host. I found her to be open and honest about herself on TMS. To be completely honest, Liza was the biggest reason I watched The Morning Show.

July 26, 2016 @ 8:15 AM

Anonymous

Maybe I'm missing something but I thought Liza brought some interest to the show and showed good interaction with the other host. Disappointed I will miss her on the show and won't watch anymore

July 29, 2016 @ 11:18 AM

Thomas Jarvis

Liza has nice legs...loved her mini-skirts....I'm sad....LOL...

August 1, 2016 @ 12:34 PM

Donna MacDonald

Soan could not have said it better. He's spot on. Could not stand Liza. She very much wanted all the attention. Totally self-centred. Yes Soan, I, too, knew why she drank her coffee all the time - a distraction technique - so obvious. Her laugh, too, was so phoney. I'm glad this irritating woman is gone. A real shame about Kris Reyes and Rosey Edeh. Two very professional ladies. They will get picked up very quickly. Once again, just have to say - good riddance to the insufferable Liza F.

August 4, 2016 @ 8:39 AM

Rebecca

Not a fan of the show now that Liza is gone. I cannot stand Jeff ... I'd rather watch paint dry than watch him on TV. He is boring and the show has really gone down hill since the format change.
Lost a viewer over this one.

August 5, 2016 @ 10:59 AM

ren

Looks like time to get rid of some TOP people making these decisions. 16x9 SERIOUS. Only show I seen that was outstanding. What kind of antidepressants are you guys on. Just quit your jobs and get your minds healthy, then maybe think about a possible career change.

August 5, 2016 @ 12:08 PM

Thomas McGrath

I have watched Liza Fromer for years. It appears someone has made a big mistake. There are others on the show who should have been replaced.

I am not sure weather or not I will continue to watch the program. While Caroline is attractive, she is no Liza.

August 5, 2016 @ 2:30 PM

Bill

I was drawn to Global mornings. Thought Jeff was a good addition and miss Rosey. I am amazed that morning shows with huge staffs keep competing each day. Maybe Liza will join a show like the view or Social where women compete to talk about things they know nothing about just to keep the jaws flapping

August 8, 2016 @ 9:15 AM

Liza Fromer is visiting me this Friday and will appear on my podcast, Toronto Mike'd. That episode will be here: http://www.torontomike.com/podcast/

August 8, 2016 @ 9:16 AM

Anonymous

So happy Liza Fromer is gone. She was so fake I couldn't help but wince everytime she she flicked her head to look at someone beside her. Her forced laugh, forced smile; sad really. I love Carolyn MacKenzie. She appears to be a caring person, and has a good rapport with Jeff and Liam. She's a professional.

August 8, 2016 @ 9:36 AM

Marg Mayhew

Glad she's gone. Soooo annoying!

August 8, 2016 @ 6:20 PM

Karen Bunner

I watch the show however was wondering what happened to Liza and now know. In the past few months I did not find the show as interesting and thought there was less "connectedness" between Jeff and Liza. Found her to be "forced" at times and some mornings did not seem put together. Like Carolyn and Jeff.

August 9, 2016 @ 12:25 PM

Patti lindstrom

Someone said Liza and Jeff were the same person....I thought so too. Boring boring boring. That fake laugh of them both drove me nuts. Only watched it when someone I really wanted to see. C min Canada we can do better.

August 9, 2016 @ 12:42 PM

bwh

I am so happy that she is gone; Around our house she has long been referred to as Liza Frumpy. Liza never managed to hide her sour expression and comes across as humourless and chronically disengaged. Good day.

August 11, 2016 @ 11:49 AM

Janice

Where is Rosey Edeh? I liked her! She seems to have just disappeared with no mention of what happened.

August 13, 2016 @ 3:28 PM

Colton_Cash

Rosey was also laid off at the same time as Liza for the usual cost-cutting reasons. Carolyn obviously replaced her as the noon anchor.

August 13, 2016 @ 9:41 PM

Terry

It's sad that our Canadian news sources are being torn apart by their big corporate owners. Growing up I remember our local stations feeling more like part of the city not just pandering to pop culture. When newscasters were with a station as far back as you could remember. When it wasn't all flashy graphics and glossy sets.

That was Canadian news and it may have been campy or less sophisticated but it was ours and you felt informed not like todays celeb gossip lead newscasts. I want to know about real local & national issues.

It is one reason I cut the cable and happy I did.

August 14, 2016 @ 6:58 PM

James

Time for Liza Fromer to go she was getting worse and worse everyday. Nobody could work with her. I also think everytime someone with brains or prettier than her was on the show it drove her into a frenzy as she couldn't have it. Liza time to realize your getting older and heavier please try and wear cloths that fit in your next gig instead of trying to continue to think your still 30. You can clearly see you struggle in tight cloths now. Also keep your shoes pointed down as all the black cigarette stains show and it looks nasty bad on air. My guess. Is her only out will be to shag up with someone with money and then you might see her do tiny segments here and there on TV....who cares!

August 17, 2016 @ 11:00 PM

bill

get rid of Liam, worst person on the show. his humour is dry and noone ever understands

August 19, 2016 @ 12:28 PM

Charles M

I thought at first they said she was on holidays and had guest hosts appearing to fill in ?

Anyways, I think the show peaked when they had Liza, Kris, Rosey and Leslie.

I thought it started going downhill when Jeff joined :(

August 23, 2016 @ 8:46 AM

Charles M

* Opps, I meant to say Antony, not Leslie.

August 23, 2016 @ 8:49 AM

Marly Harris

Thank God she is gone. So unprofessional ...... She always looked uncomfortable and self-conscious, either sitting on the edge of her seat with her chest stuck out and jerking her head around or splayed back in the chair.....always tugging and adjusting her too tight clothes. And the check down to the cleavage just to make sure of what? Hot mess defined. Her whole being was a distraction. Don't know who Soan is but he pretty much nailed her to T with some inside baseball.

August 26, 2016 @ 12:03 PM

Colton_Cash

"And the check down to the cleavage just to make sure of what?" I believe she actually put her microphone down in her cleavage, this was joked about during a segment where the TMS cast was supposed to "drop the mike" and I vaguely recall that Liza couldn't participate because she would have to reach down into her cleavage to get at it... or something like that.

I know, sounds strange but she was probably checking her mic all those times.

September 6, 2016 @ 3:39 PM

wayne

Hello where did Lisa fromer go

September 6, 2016 @ 7:20 PM

@wayne

Here's an update on Liza Fromer. It's everything you wanted to know about Liza Fromer (but were afraid to ask).

September 7, 2016 @ 10:37 AM

vandz

Too bad you let go of Liza Fromer . She's the reason I watched TMS.. been a fan since her BT and same for Kris Reyes. Jeff? he is stiff as a board... you lost an audience.

September 8, 2016 @ 1:11 PM

YT

Where to begin? LF struck me as incredibly fake and disingenuous...a megalomaniac, if you will. As for that laugh??? When she laughed, my two cats would leave the room - that sums it up. Good riddance to old rubbish...

September 9, 2016 @ 8:05 AM

Joanne

I am now watching again because she has left! I considered her so controlling, egotistical and rude, I had to stop watching the show in spite of good guests and co-hosts.

September 9, 2016 @ 12:54 PM

Lynn

Well I for one, am extremely glad that Lisa Fromer gone. She was the reason I stopped watching the news. She came across as not a very nice person.

September 16, 2016 @ 12:22 PM

Anonymous

I've waited awhile to comment, but I've tried watching the new morning show, but they should change the name to the Jeff show with the clothes horse telling everyone how well off she is, starting on Wednesdays you hear that's she taking Friday off to go to her cottage and then starting on Monday we here about her weekend at the cottage.
Jeff talks over her, not that it matters much she just smiles at the camera, thanks to this change I now get starting doing what I need to do a half hour earlier

October 11, 2016 @ 10:40 AM

Jonny Watts

did kris reyes get laid off or did she decide to leave

October 27, 2016 @ 11:27 PM

Brian

I just recently started watching Global Morning Show which you prefer from some of the others unfortunately I can't watch it any longer you guys never cover traffic east of the Don Valley what is the big deal

November 1, 2016 @ 8:38 AM

Anonymous

I gave your NEW plan a chance! Now switching to anyone else!

November 18, 2016 @ 8:43 AM

oreyes

i never watch the show. all of them i find it annoying, no substance to what they are saying even that new girl she looks like a man not a woman

December 13, 2016 @ 5:21 PM

Robert Begley

Bring back Chris, rosy get rid of Jeff and Liam they are like watching paint dry

January 2, 2017 @ 4:15 PM

Geni

this new format sucks!!! go back to the drawing board.... new girl a mess .... moving to CP24

January 10, 2017 @ 11:17 AM

Doug

Didn't Jeff start out with a fake deeper voice on TMS.
I'm guessing it was his radio voice...

February 24, 2017 @ 3:20 PM

Buster

The morning show is sooooo boring. The hosts have personalities as dry as toast. Can't watch it.

September 12, 2017 @ 6:57 AM