Sorry, I Can't Get Riled Up Over Wade's Anthem Shots

Prior to game 3 in the Raptors ~ Heat series, Dwyane Wade was caught shooting during the singing of O Canada. Here's the video evidence.

I get the feeling I'm supposed to get all riled up about this, yet I feel nothing. Was it disrespectful? Probably. Should Wade apologize and promise not to do it again? Probably. But I sure don't feel angry about it.

Maybe that's because I don't really believe we should be singing anthems before games. Maybe that's because I don't believe Wade was trying to slight this country. Maybe that's because there are enough upsetting things in the world, and this one just doesn't make the cut.

I just want to see the Raps come out and win tonight so we have a chance to clinch at home in game five. That's what has me all riled up.

Ryan G

I largely agree but ya, he should just apologize and move on.

Anthems before games might be a bit antiquated but it's steeped in tradition, and does help stir up the drama, particularly for so called international matches.

Reminds me of when I was a kid, having to say the lord's prayer in elementary school (which goes to show how powerful the church was way back then). One might argue that the playing of the national anthem is a merely a form of state propaganda that creates a blind loyalty to the government, but there's only 1 anthem per country, whereas brain washing kids with 1 religious prayer in a nation with multiple beliefs seems unfair. Of course, i'm guessing the prayer was instituted into the school system when the entire country was nothin' but christian crackers for the most part. I've been agnostic atheist for the last 30 years of my life, yet I can still recite the bloody lord's prayer. mission accomplished god!

May 9, 2016 @ 4:14 PM

@Ryan G

Here's a nice little write up about why we sing the national anthem before games in Canada. http://mentalfloss.com/article/22150/why-do-we-sing-national-anthem-sporting-events

It's an American thing, and we just followed suit.

Btw, I'm pretty sure Catholic schools still say The Lord's Prayer before school. My heathen children are all in the public system, so I'm not 100% certain about this, but I'd be surprised if they did away with it.

May 9, 2016 @ 4:18 PM

Ryan G

@TO Mike -

This also reminds me of the conundrum i find myself in at in-law family dinners. They're pretty darn catholic and they, bow their heads, make a bit of a deal out of saying grace, then the wacky hand gestures,etc. Of course i'm respectful of other people's beliefs, but when this happens at dinner i just sort of zone out for the thirty seconds or so and stare out the window. I shouldn't insult them (or myself for that matter) by pretending i'm participating.

On a somewhat related note, I went to the Jays game Sunday and boy what a bunch of stiffs in that crowd. A number of times throughout the game I was clapping and chirping at pivotal points (not just when we got a hit or a strikeout), and legions of people around me remained dead quiet, and a few even looked back at me in disdain. You wouldn't see that at Fenway or Yankee stadium that's fo sho. Wake the hell up Toronto fans.

May 9, 2016 @ 4:28 PM

@Ryan G

That sounds like the dome crowds from 1995 - July 2015.

But those crowds last August, September and October.... those were fun crowds!

May 9, 2016 @ 4:35 PM

Wally

I completely agree.

I will say tho if a player of his caliber (let's say Steve Nash in his prime) did the same thing, we wouldn't hear the end of it from individuals down south.

I would like to see them get rid of the pre-game anthem but I know it will NEVER happen. Traditionalists of are a very frustrating group to work with and even if they are the minority, they will certainly be the loudest and opposed to change.

If MLB gets a team in Mexico City, does that mean every game will play 3 anthems? If the NFL gets a team in Europe, will we hear the English national anthem?

May 9, 2016 @ 6:50 PM

bill

I'd like to hear requiems or military parade music with no audience noise allowed whatsover during games. Just that ball bouncing and a live orchestra. Maybe emperor type music too. Something Napoleon would have listened to. Is this too extreme?

May 9, 2016 @ 9:38 PM

Argie

I agree anthems shouldn't be played at every sporting event (except under certain circumstances) but Wade must be either incredibly stupid or he's a major a-hole. How can he not notice that an anthem is being played and every other player on the court is standing in a line? Has this ever happened before - to anyone?

May 10, 2016 @ 9:03 AM

Alison in Ottawa

I'm not riled up about it either but he should have been savvy enough to give a legitimate apology not just a half assed attempt that has become the nrom these days "IF I offended anyone I'm sorry everyone knows I'm not a disrespectful person". That was not a real apology and the non-apology ticked me off more than the initial incident... if he had just said, I'm sorry, I got caught up in my warm up and I regret my actions this would already be a non-issue for everyone...done and done......

May 10, 2016 @ 11:42 AM

Douglas

Good one from Tim Dolighan. You might have seen it in the Toronto Sun.

May 10, 2016 @ 2:01 PM

Elephant

@Ryan G

Actually, you probably would find the same thing at new Yankee Stadium. Over the years since the new stadium opened it's become a bit of a tomb. The Disney-esque version of the original park doesn't quite have the same atmosphere. Rogers Centre might actually have more life in it.

May 10, 2016 @ 2:45 PM

Buster Pusey

As an athlete, I get fired up hearing the national anthem before a game. If you don't believe the anthem should be played at sporting events, don't sing. Many people do, so keep it. Anyone who doesn't think the anthem should be played probably hates small children and identifies with nazi ideologies.

May 10, 2016 @ 3:19 PM

Ryan G

@Elephant. I did not know that.

It just seemed to me like fans in boston and new york are always making noise when they should be..even if it's the first inning. Likely has something to do with how educated the fan base is, plus the sheer history and legacy of those clubs...then again the Leafs have a huge history and those fans seem to need a similar prodding to get going..but that might have something to do with the corporate types being all polite and all.

i worked with the jays for a few years so i know the game entertainment folks have struggled with enhancing the game experience to get people louder which helps the team..but at the end of the day, no amount of gimmicks will work unless the team wins..

May 10, 2016 @ 3:47 PM

Douglas

As long as people are not being truly inappropriate, one way to get the noise level up would be to get the security staff to not respond to the whingers who go to the game, spend their time watching their iPhones and then complain about the real baseball fan cheering or razzing as necessary to the field. If you want a quiet baseball experience, watch it from home! I wasn't able to get to a Jays game post-trade deadline last year, but I've been to too many Jays games where it was quieter in the Dome than at Pilot Field North AmeriCare Park Dunn Tire Park Coca-Cola Field in Buffalo.

May 11, 2016 @ 11:15 AM

fourteen

That Sun cartoon is stoopid. Juvenile.

May 11, 2016 @ 11:31 AM