My Week with a Ford Flex

I just spent a week driving a new Ford Flex, and it all started with this tweet that prompted me to seek out a Ford Flex test drive.

Ed wasn't kidding when he referred to it as a big box. That's exactly what it is, a very big box. But because it's a box, it's incredibly roomy.

20160509_185201

The Ford Flex seats seven comfortably which is precisely why I wanted to test drive it. I have a family of six but only have five seatbelts in my Mazda. This past week was the first time we all travelled somewhere together.

20160514_113930

20160514_113752

There was actually room to spare. It's an incredibly roomy crossover, but it didn't drive "big". It really felt like I was driving a car, and I was only reminded how big it was when it came time to park.

Some say the Flex is ugly. I cannot state clearly enough how little I care about a car's appearance. I need a safe car that seats at least six people, and I can't have it destroy my bank account. When it comes to cars, I'm all about substance over style.

The Ford Flex fits the bill. I'll be testing a few other cars over the summer. I'll let you know how those drives go.

20160512_110451

Elephant

Some people love the big box look.

I'm like you -- I really don't care what the car looks like. When I'm driving it, I'm inside it. What it "looks" like is for other people. Hell, if it's ugly, all the better -- it's less likely to get stolen.

May 19, 2016 @ 4:19 PM

Joe Clark

I would assume this is an unlabelled product placement (the high licence number [BX] is one of the dead giveaways), and would further note that the child in centre left position is clearly improperly restrained.

New frontiers in podcasting. Today on Toronto Mike.

May 19, 2016 @ 5:53 PM

2 things.

The car's not moving when the photo was taken and Ford never gave me a penny, they just lent me the car.

May 19, 2016 @ 6:13 PM

twins from bolton

Have you ever considered a van. Bought one 1 year after my sons were born & bought another after 1st 1 was time to get rid of it.
In early 2000's there were extended vans that could seat 8 people & still have a lot of room in the back.

They drive same a car & at the time very economical.
BTW Vans very rarely stolen.

May 19, 2016 @ 7:19 PM

Rick C in Oakville

I think Fast Ed is member of the GTAMC Mustang club?. That aside it's a totally cool people hauler, with a retro look. Most of the SUVs andCUVs are so rounded in the rear you lose precious space on the interior, and the Flex avoids this.
Plus it is made here in Oakville.

May 19, 2016 @ 8:03 PM

@twins from bolton

Yes, I'm considering a van.

May 19, 2016 @ 10:24 PM

Jason from Sudbury

Hmm. Personally I think I would take the Flex over a van. All depends on what you need though and what you can afford.

May 20, 2016 @ 8:37 AM

mrmojorisinca

Guys I work with swear by the mini van when it comes to space and comfort and fuel economy.
The Honda odyssey or Toyota Sienna are what they recommend..

May 20, 2016 @ 9:27 AM

Irv

Looked this vehicle up on the long term index site and it does "OK" over the long term. Here is the link http://longtermqualityindex.com/reports/Ford.html Ford is sort of the middle of the road in long term quality. That's important unless you want to trade in frequently.

Stay away from a 4x4 if you can too. They increase the cost of the vehicle & decrease the fuel mileage greatly (especially when you use 4x4). Toronto doesn't get much snow. I live in the mountains and commute frequently to Vancouver & Calgary. Most of the wiped out vehicles are 4 wheel drives or big trucks (usually with coastal drivers who don't chain up properly).

Look at the Toyota Highlander or Sienna. Seats 8 and you get Toyota quality. I own 2 Toyota's and they quality is so good they blow my mind. I have friends and family that got 400-500K on their Corolla's. I wish they'd bring back the old style Land Cruisers (that looked like a Jeep). I love Jeep but Jeep = Fiat and Fiat = piece of shit.

I admit, I like the look of Ford's current vehicle line up. They do style well, I just wish they would work a bit on long term quality. The Flex reminds me of a Range Rover. I don't think they're ugly, I think they have a style of their own.

May 21, 2016 @ 1:04 PM

Brandon

I almost misread this post's headline as "My Week With Farley Flex". :) (Wondered what he'd been doing in recent years...)

In all seriousness, I knew virtually nothing about this vehicle beyond its name so this post was interesting. Good luck on the vehicle hunt!

May 23, 2016 @ 6:34 AM

Collingwood Dave

I have to agree with Irv on his Jeep assesment. My girfriend has Jeep Liberty and is piece of shit, she has never used the 4 wheel drive option. Break job $400.00 , exhaust leak, $300.00, wheel bearings, $500.00 all in the last year. Unless you are off-roading in a muddy field 4 wheel drive is a waste of money. I have a 2012 Chevy Cruze, so far 1 break job $200.00 and of course oil changes. All you need is front wheel drive, snow tires and you are good to go. By the way do they even make vehicles with wind down widows anymore, I really miss spitting out the window when they are frozen in winter....

May 23, 2016 @ 10:49 AM

@Brandon

I recently saw Farley Flex judging a talent show on Lake Shore and 7th Street.

May 23, 2016 @ 7:53 PM

Irv

@Collingwood Dave

I was a die hard Jeep fan. Owned a CJ, a YJ and a Cherokee. Quality wise, they were always so so back in the day. Then Fiat came along and bought the brand. Fiat is one of the lowest ranked product lines for quality. And that was the end of that love affair Then I found Toyota. I became a fan. One Toyota has 275K on it. The other is pushing 460K. I wish they made a fully electric car like the Tesla. I'd buy one in a minute.

The whole 4x4 thing is the most oversold scam that exists in cars. The concept you need a 4 wheel drive engaged at highway speeds is insanity. 4 wheel drive is designed for that guy who traverses a desert or living in the mountains in a place where getting 1000 cm of snow is just a "normal year". In the Selkirks it snows 40 to 60 feet a year on average source: http://www.revelstokemountainresort.com/resort/mountain-statistics

I have manual windows in both my vehicles. It's one less thing to break.

May 23, 2016 @ 10:53 PM

I too have manual windows in my car.

May 23, 2016 @ 11:04 PM

Jason from Sudbury

Manual windows? What is that? And while we're at it, what's a cassette? What's an 8 track? What's a landline phone?

lol I'm just being a dick. Seriously though, I'm not sure if there are any newer cars with manual windows. My buddy has a basic 2013 Ford cargo van for work and it came with power windows and locks.

May 24, 2016 @ 12:41 AM

Irv

@Jason

I think the Nissan Micra base model comes with manual windows but otherwise I don't think it's an option anymore. One reason even basic model cars cost so much.

And older tech sometimes makes sense. A traditional landline phone makes sense for those in remote towns especially in remote places in Alberta know for natural disasters. I get real old school with a 2 meter HAM radio system in one vehicle. I travel places where cell phone service is non existent and you can dial out through a repeater if you break down.

If you want to see cool, check out Tesla. You use a phone app for everything and the car opens the door as you approach, turns on the music & climate control preparing for you. No AM radio included.

May 24, 2016 @ 8:08 AM

Irv

One more thing...

They no longer make standard transmissions on many cars, Toyota included. I can deal with the power windows, but an automatic? In snow? eww.

May 24, 2016 @ 8:09 AM

Jody Thornton

Looking at subcompacts, I was thinking about a recent model Nissan Micra (the automatic model). Do they make for a decent ride? I realize that you get what you pay for. I tried a 2011 Hyundai Accent, and was left in the cold.

My 2004 Sunfire really rides well, and is reasonably comfy. I would have purchased another second-hand Cavalier or Sunfire, but they seem to be getting on now.

I really liked Toyotas from last decade. My neighbours back in Stoney Creek had a 2000 Camry. He had me drive it once to pick up some stuff. That thing drove like silk; it felt like the ride of a Cadillac (I'm not kidding - must have been a good suspension). Let's put it this way; when you drove over the old Burlington Skyway (Toronto Bound), you could hardly feel the girder bumps. It was that smooth.

May 24, 2016 @ 9:03 AM

Jody Thornton

May 24, 2016 @ 9:05 AM

Mike from Lowville

The Flex is like sitting in your living room. Once you drive one, you won't want to drive anything else. Unless it's a MKT.

May 27, 2016 @ 7:57 AM

Jody Thornton

Well just a quick follow up. I went to Alta Nissan on Yonge in Richmond Hill, and I test drove an SV model of the Micra. Oh My Gawd that is such a cute car. It is a tad a of a roady ride. I expected it to be a bit noisy, but the ride was WAY BETTER than I ever expected. I would say the ride parallels a 2009 Ford Focus hatchback. Much MUCH better than a Hyundai Accnt. I was very pleased.

It's roomy as all hell get out and feels much bigger. In that way it reminded me of a Plymouth Horizon (say what you want about them; they were roomy cars). I think one of these is in my future.

June 6, 2016 @ 8:44 PM