Why Raptors Fans are Showing Restraint

The Toronto Raptors have won 14 of their last 15 games. They're doing it as a team, they're doing it on the road, they're doing it with defense and they're doing it without DeMarre Carroll. But make no mistake, this team is doing it.

Why Raptors Fans are Showing Restraint

The Raps are only 2 games behind the Cavs in the Eastern Conference, and as exciting as it's been, we fans are showing great restraint. This team will be judged by one thing and one thing only, and that's success in the playoffs.

The Raptors have never won a best-of-seven playoff round. Never. This team was built to change that, but proof is in the pudding. Winning one round is essential, but it's going to take at least two to satisfy fans.

It all starts in mid-April. Until then, continue to show restraint.

Wally

Totally agree with maintaining restraint.

Tho what I find interesting is that this team is winning games through defense. In past years the Raptors success came from simply outscoring teams and winning games 120 - 118. This year there have been a lot more 92 - 86 type games. Also looking back at the makeup of the team, we had guys who specialized in offense and not defense (Lou Williams, Vasquez).

I am cautiously optimistic. About the playoffs.

Also if the playoffs started today is would be Raptors vs Bulls and we never beat the Bulls.

February 9, 2016 @ 9:25 AM

Al The Royal Pain

As long as the team we face doesn't have Paul Pierce on it....I hate that guy...I wish he was a Raptor.

February 9, 2016 @ 9:37 AM

Mel Preston

Completely agree, Mike.

If Raps had won that series last year against Washington, I think the mood would be totally different and their would be more excitement about their play this season.

But we've seen this movie before of a terrific regular season and then flaming out in the playoffs. So fans are being cautious rather than going all in now.

I am enjoying their games. But won't get too excited until they can get out of the first round.

February 9, 2016 @ 9:48 AM

Brian Gerstein

I still have nightmares about that debacle being swept by the Wizards. My heart thought we would win, but my head knew how poorly we played the 2nd half of the year with a team not made for playoff success plus Lowry was a broken man.

This season Lowry, even averaging about 38 minutes a game, which you would think is too high, has not broken down, due to the incredible work he put in over the off-season. If his minutes were too high, then Casey would limit them.

I am like most just waiting for the playoffs to get underway as we have a 5 game lead over Boston, who are not going to overtake us, with Boston and Miami 6 1/2 games back. The minimum was a 1st round win, but I have now altered that, and my new minimum is the Conference Finals, or at worst a very competitive 2nd round where we come close, as we have managed to avoid Cleveland till then.

DeMarre Carroll's status going ahead is the big question mark. If he can't be relied on to be the shut-down defender at the 4 that we need, then Masai must make a move by the trade deadline and we have the draft assets to do it.

Mike, the Raptors are like a volcano ready to explode once they get past the first round. In fact, I predict that they will have an easy second round regardless of who they play, as the pressure to win the first round will be far greater for them, and once by, will show their true mettle.

My wife commented how sedate the All-Star game hype has been, and I have to agree with her. I attribute this to the state of the Raptors franchise as well, and the mood, which is very much a wait-and-see attitude, and it has translated over to this weekend's festivities.

February 9, 2016 @ 10:10 AM

Samuel Minnella

They won a playoff series in 2001 against New York. Why say they have never won a playoff series?

February 16, 2016 @ 2:20 PM

Brian Gerstein

Samuel, back then they had a best of 5 playoff series, which the Raptors won in 5 games, then lost to Philadelphia in 7 games when Vince rimmed out his three point shot at the buzzer. Raptors have Never won a 7-game series.

March 11, 2016 @ 10:02 AM

@Samuel

What @Brian Gerstein said.

I wrote "The Raptors have never won a best-of-seven playoff round" and it's still true.

March 11, 2016 @ 10:03 AM