Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 159: Rob Johnston

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 159In this 159th episode, Mike chats with Rob Johnston, a man who worked at CFNY 102.1 from 1989 to 2015. This episode is exactly 1:26:50.

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Become a Patron

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Andrew

Been looking forward to this one... known Rob since the late 80's. Can't wait to hear it on my drive to the airport tonight!

Cheers,
Andrew

February 17, 2016 @ 3:09 PM

Andrew

Fantastic!

I honestly could have listened for a few more hours. Robbie J and I go way back to '89 when I got a gig working for Live Earl Jive in the music department. We then moved into promotions working with Jamie 'McBoombox' and Captain Phil. My last official gig for CFNY or The Edge at that point was the '94 CASBY's which was held at the Shoreline Studios on Lakeshore. We both went to Ryerson RTA, with Rob being a year a head of me. We have stayed in touch over the years and I've called on him in the past for his opinion on things and to just get caught up.

I found out about Mike's blog from the news about Marty. I got a bunch of emails and texts asking me if the news was true.. I had no idea. After reading Mike's positing I emailed Rob and he confirmed the news to me. I was unfortunately working and out of town for the memorial, but Rob was kind enough to let me know how it went.

I loved the stories - I kept smiling when he was talking about his relationship with the talent. He was bang on! Behind the scenes people have totally different relationships with talent than the viewing public. We see them at their best and we sometimes see them at their worst. I always say when people ask me what Pierre McGuire was like I always say he's great. They couldn't believe me - I said you don't know him like I do. I can say the same for a whole lot of TV people... it's what Rob talked about and it was great.

We chatted after his departing and he was happy about the time he had and I'm really happy for him with his MBA.

Thanks for having Rob on Mike - I think this was my favourite episode you've done out of all of them. I'm glad he gave your studio his approval!

Cheers,
Andrew

February 17, 2016 @ 9:42 PM

Jason from Sudbury

Downloaded this last night and looking forward to listening this morning. There's so much I'm curious about.

February 18, 2016 @ 8:27 AM

Liz

Given Andrew's feedback on the interview, I'm going to give this one a listen.

February 18, 2016 @ 11:50 AM

Douglas

I will definitely be listening to this one. Before I do, there is really only one question:
Was any studio production by Rob Johnston?

February 18, 2016 @ 10:38 PM

Jason from Sudbury

Great podcast! Was cool to hear some of the behind the scene stuff.

February 19, 2016 @ 8:02 AM

Anonymous

Finally have a minute to post this here.
I listened yesterday. Some comments and questions...

Rob what you said about eras makes a lot of sense. Cause for me the Edge was at its best from the late 90's till like 07 and 08, and that's when I'm guessing Ross Winters became PD? Not sure but anyway its rare I listen to the Edge today, to be honest some of the bands and artists they play I've never even heard of, while the other stuff is all top 40. Just like I wish Q107 would go back to the pure rock/hard rock format that they had going on in the 90's.
I did hear you say that Toronto Radio is good right now though, so I'm wondering, is this from a listener's point of view? An advertizer? Or even from the creative side? I don't know. But basically the reason why I'm asking is because to me it does feel like the Edge changed their playlist quite a bit, also what I've noticed is that they'll play a song and then replay it less than 2 hours later. As for Q107, I had some hope for them when they switched to Toronto's rock or whatever it is now, and for a while they were playing some newer stuff, but it seems they've gone back to mostly classic rock, and they play the same shit all the time. To me the only 2 decent stations in the Toronto area are HTZ FM and Y108, and HTZ has gone downhill over the years if you ask me.
Honestly I don't understand how the Edge and Q are surviving.

February 19, 2016 @ 10:03 AM

Jason from Sudbury

Oops. Anonymous above was me. My bad.

February 19, 2016 @ 10:14 AM

Rick C in Oakville

I have been sampling the Edge mostly on Sunday afternoons when I have a crap load of paperwork to get through, and have enjoyed their type of Indie Playlist recently. Still miss Spirit of Radio Sundays with Scot Turner, Q 107 which was my 70's station is just unlistenable now with their mix of music. Enjoyed Robs back room perspectives in this episode Mike.

February 21, 2016 @ 4:52 PM

markosaar

Loved this episode. Mid-90s was my Edge era, so the stories resounded especially.

February 25, 2016 @ 12:00 PM