Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 156: Mike Richards

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 156In this 156th episode, Mike chats with TSN Radio 1050 morning show host Mike Richards about his years on The Fan 590, The Team, Calgary's FAN 960 and why he chose 1050 over 590. We also discuss TSN Radio ratings, going against Dean Blundell and his battle with rectal cancer. This episode is exactly 1:48:55.

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Become a Patron

2016-01-13_01-04-32

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Jason from Sudbury

Another good podcast. I don't want to give anything away just yet cause I'm not sure how many people have listened and I'm the first to post, but fuck cancer. He's really lucky they caught it in time.

January 13, 2016 @ 7:29 PM

@Jason from Sudbury

I was blown away by how candid Mike was... he told me things he's never, ever said in public.

January 13, 2016 @ 7:31 PM

Cool Nights

Great stories. Might be your best yet. I'm going to listen again.

January 13, 2016 @ 7:58 PM

Liz

This is an exceptional podcast, Mike. Wow. Just excellent.

I really loved the cadence of Mike's voice at one point - he sounded like Howard Stern in parts - when Stern's on a roll and really into what he's talking about. Much as Mike was when he sounded Stern-ish.

The cancer thing? Well, that's rugged and was rough to hear. Cancer can just go fuck itself. It takes away so much time. But, Mike's not looking backward - unless it's to help other people do the smart thing and get checked.

I listened to this when I should have been working. But, it was well worth it. Again, fucking awesome. I will have to listen to this one again, at some point.

January 13, 2016 @ 8:49 PM

Sam in Pickering

I've been listening since the beginning. It keeps getting better and better. This is an exceptional episode. Kudos!

January 13, 2016 @ 9:24 PM

andrew

Best podcast ever. So candid, especially drinking beer in morning. That's OK Richards since you probably up since 4AM.

Thanks both Mikes.

January 13, 2016 @ 10:16 PM

Argie

Great job Mike (um, both Mikes!)

Richards was very candid, funny and interesting. Everything you want in a interview.

January 14, 2016 @ 9:47 AM

@Argie

You nailed it. Give me candid, funny and interesting and I'll give you a thoroughly entertaining interview.

January 14, 2016 @ 9:53 AM

Jonathan Giggs

I pretty sure that Nelson Milman on your podcast said that Pat Marsden saved the FAN, not John Derringer.

January 14, 2016 @ 1:02 PM

Brian Gerstein

I looked it up, and it was 100% Pat Marsden who Nelson credited. Here is the direct quote from Bill Lankhof from the Sun from April 27th, 2006 after Pat's death:

Marsden spent eight years as morning host on the FAN 590 from 1996 to 2004.

"He was a brilliant broadcaster in his day and helped rebuild this station," Nelson Millman, program director at The FAN, Toronto's all-sports station, said recently.

January 14, 2016 @ 1:08 PM

@MikeRichardsTSN Actually, @nmillman told me Pat Marsden saved @fan590... my bad.

— Toronto Mike (@torontomike) January 13, 2016
January 14, 2016 @ 1:17 PM

Il Duce

Excellent show. You do a lot of interviews where the guests are good but don't say very much. Mike revealed a lot and was funny to boot.... God knows your show needs funny!

January 14, 2016 @ 1:42 PM

@Il Duce

Thanks for the lasagna, godfather.

January 14, 2016 @ 1:51 PM

Derek

A fellow CKBB alum!

January 14, 2016 @ 4:10 PM

GAry

Great podcast, Mike and Mike.

I gained a new perspective on Mike Richards. I really enjoyed this podcast.

January 15, 2016 @ 10:58 AM

@Gary

I only spent 3 hours with Mike, two recorded and another after we were done, but he seemed awfully authentic. He decided to be completely honest and I think the result speaks for itself.

In his words, he's a Good Time Charlie. He doesn't put on airs.

January 15, 2016 @ 11:02 AM

Dawn

Outstanding podcast Mike! Mike Richards was so candid and such an interesting gentleman. I wish him well through the end of his cancer journey. I have a close friend who is going through almost the exact same treatment about 3 months behind Mike and has a similar prognosis. To hear these cancer stories with successful endings is so encouraging. 20 years ago my father was told after diagnosis to enjoy his next few months as nothing could be done. The research and treatments have moved forward so much. Maybe a late 2016 podcast visit from Mike to hear how he is doing after reattachment surgery is possible?

January 16, 2016 @ 3:19 PM

Patrick

Switched to 1050 mornings recently, and this just cemented that I'm not going back anytime soon.

January 17, 2016 @ 12:41 AM

Al The Royal Pain

Great guest, great episode. Loved Mike when he was on the FAN in the mornings with Derringer et. al. Didn't he also stick around for Landry & Stellick? It's all a blur.

January 18, 2016 @ 12:04 PM

David in Courtice

Fantastic podcast,

Loved his honestly, kept us engaged and a great story teller. True pro and class!

I think Mike Richards might have a new fan.

To bad I have become so used to listening to podcast in the car with the sad state of radio.

January 18, 2016 @ 12:37 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Have been playing catchup this week, this one didn't disappoint Mike. Something about your basement and beer that seems to put your guests at ease. Awesome job.

January 21, 2016 @ 8:17 PM