Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 145: Mike Toth

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 145In this 145th episode, Mike chats with former TSN, Sportsnet, Fan 590 and Newstalk 1010 host Mike Toth about his career in sports media, his battle with depression, how the business has changed and what he's learned along the way. This episode is exactly 1:13:54.

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

dale

Awesome podcast.

November 26, 2015 @ 7:45 PM

Christian in Toronto

Mike -

Just finished listening to the Toth episode. Gotta say, it was fantastic and everything I thought it would be and more.

I really appreciated his honesty and insight and revealing his issues with depression during his time as a broadcaster. I hope he's able to land on his feet, somewhere, somehow, preferably in the Toronto area.

Also, thanks for asking my question to him re: "Why reporters/media outlets afraid to ask real questions, etc?". I found myself agreeing and nodding my head in agreement when he answered. If I'm not mistaken, I remember some on-air talents at the FAN throwing criticism his way(indirectly and not by name) for the questions that he asked of Phaneuf for "Stick gate". I thought Toth's questions were warranted and quite frankly, questions that Hockey fans of the Leafs wanted answered.

Great job, Mike and continued success with the podcasts.

Christian

November 26, 2015 @ 8:59 PM

Rick C in Oakville

I enjoyed Mike Toth on Newstalk, will give a listen tomorrow.

Busy week for you Mike!

November 26, 2015 @ 9:55 PM

Argie

Good interview. He really seems like a genuinely nice guy. Hope his job search is a short one.

November 27, 2015 @ 8:26 AM

Jason from Sudbury

Crap. I wish I had known he was coming on...
About 6 or 7 years ago Mike Toth was filling in for the Bobcat on Primetime, and as an April fools joke, Mike said Bobcat had left the fan to manage a soccer team in Europ, forgetting all the details now but it was hilarious.

November 27, 2015 @ 4:01 PM

MattK

I think it was to be the president of Liverpool since he used to have on the owner (George Gillette) on often. I remember people took it serious when it was obivously fake.

November 29, 2015 @ 10:37 AM

Lyle Lanley

All week these episodes have been top notch. This one was particularly great.

November 29, 2015 @ 10:41 AM

Anonymous

Great one

November 29, 2015 @ 5:22 PM

Anon&on

Toth seems like the prefect candidate to be a successful (sports) podcaster. After his bang-on analysis of the change in sports 'presenters', and the stickgate thing, maybe he could be the canadaland of sports.
Did Romanuk quit TSN?

November 29, 2015 @ 8:20 PM

@Anon&on

Romanuk's wife got a great gig in London, England and he quit to move there with her.

November 29, 2015 @ 8:26 PM

Anon&on

Wasn't he at The Team before the UK?
I'm guessing you've tried to get him in.

November 29, 2015 @ 9:29 PM

@Anon&on

You're right, I forgot about that. He quit TSN for The Team and then moved to England with his wife in 2005.

I chatted with him about coming on a year ago and he told me he was trying to lay low.

November 29, 2015 @ 9:38 PM

Al The Royal Pain

Loved this one. Toth was super-candid. I loved his "Super Dave" stories. I miss hearing him on the FAN.

December 1, 2015 @ 12:16 PM

Anthony

Great episode, thought it was compelling and entertaining. Tip of my hat to both participants.

I rarely post on here but one of the comments from Toth spurred me on to comment. Regarding his 2009 comments about women in sports, I remember listening to it live and it certainly didn't come across the way that Mike was trying to spin it. What I heard, and what TSM has written in 2009, it came off as someone a bit frustrated with his stock at the fan at the time and using his radio platform to vent.

Here's the direct quote.

'“This is going to sound harsh,” Toth said. “But be that as it may, here it comes: There are no female sportscasters that I can think of that have more knowledge than their male counterparts.”

“From a public relations standpoint, do you want Mike Toth to MC your golf tournament? … The females within the confines of Sportsnet’s newsroom get more of an opportunity to do that sort of thing.”

If he was giving a compliment to woman broadcasters, he wouldn't have started with the 'this is going to sound harsh' bit. He tried to spin it, but even Mike had to correct him to what he actually said versus what Toth said he said.

To me it, listening to it live, it was an aggressive attack. It was the 'get your name out there and have an opinion' attitude that Toth talked about earlier in the podcast. It makes sense that he mentioned that, because that was what he did here. He went over the line, and be upset over the Globe and Mail all you want, but I don't remember anyone who felt Mike was onside there. I understand the 'spin' he's putting on here, but that wasn't his purpose (again, why add the second comment about the golf course.)

I was a Toth fan when he was telling stories and engaging topics, I was not a Toth fan when he tried to be aggressive and get people's attention with an outlandish comment. Toth was a fantastic story teller who when he cut out the slap stick was very effective at expressing an engaging, articulate opinion without having to be sensationalistic. When he was sensationalistic (like the woman in sports topic), he struggled.

Hope to hear that engaging personality on the air again soon.

December 2, 2015 @ 7:07 PM