Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 137: Kelly Cutrara

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 137In this 137th episode, Mike chats with radio host Kelly Cutrara about her years at 102.1 the Edge, Mix 99.9, CFRB, CBC Radio 2, Fresh FM and what she's up to now. This episode is exactly 1:14:41.

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

2015-10-07_02-59-55

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd at http://www.torontomike.com/podcast/.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Inspector Frosty

Why isn't she wearing a niqab? Just kidding. She's gorgeous. (I'm so shallow)

October 7, 2015 @ 4:32 PM

Liz

LOVE Kelly - leaving in the am on a jet plane - celebrating my birthday in another country. It's been a year. Glad I saw this - going to download the pod on my iPad. Yay!

October 7, 2015 @ 9:51 PM

Jody Thornton

I've been looking forward to this podcast for awhile, so I'll give it a listen tomorrow. I had a chance to meet Kelly at Humble and Fred's studio in Etobicoke in March 2012. I listened a lot to her back when she was on evening at Newstalk 1010, and on the noon weekday program.

October 7, 2015 @ 11:19 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Also had the pleasure of meeting Kelly at one of the H&F events in their current studios.
Had listened when she was on 95.3, great voice, and hope she finds a place to land.

October 8, 2015 @ 6:10 AM

Mississauga Pete

She has a good bike rack!

October 8, 2015 @ 4:44 PM

Anon&on

Excellent guest, good play off each other. Maybe a regular-esque co-host? I'd like to hear more about what she's thinking now that we have her resume down. I'll look forward to her Arts Toronto podcast.

Anyone who enjoyed Serial, you will probably enjoy the podcast Criminal. Not the same, but Criminal has picked up a nice chunk of the Serial crowd. Well produced shortish episodes about 'People who have done wrong, been wronged, or gotten caught somewhere in the middle'. You can't not be hooked by the fantastic voice of Phoebe Judge.

And if you need more from the Serial story, there are a bunch of podcasts picking up on that story, but try the podcast Undisclosed. 3 lawyers break down every aspect of the case from a legal perspective. Sounds dry, but it isn't. Great insight, and a bunch of stuff that wasn't covered or was edited down in Serial. There are 12 full +hour episodes so far with a bunch of extra info episodes in between.

October 8, 2015 @ 9:01 PM

S.A.L.

Great chat!! Though I thought she might have been a bit disingenuous at times… ;-)

I missed her when she left the H&F show.. but was happy she had a new gig.

Here's hoping something worthy comes her way soon!

Oh & she needn't worry about the edit… we wouldn't tell a soul. :-)

October 11, 2015 @ 3:57 PM

@S.A.L.

Requested edits were made... both of them. :)

October 11, 2015 @ 6:09 PM

Kim

Hi Mike
I listen to your podcasts and hear you often refer to people's mental health issues as having "demons". It happened in this podcast as well.

I wanted to email you to ask if you can be more mindful in how you speak about mental health. Saying that someone has demons in reference to a mental health issue goes back to a time when it was believed that people with mental health issues were possessed by demons. Also, it's important to be specific in naming mental health issues to break stigma. If someone is depressed, say they are depressed. If someone is suicidal or died by suicide, specifically say that. If someone has an addiction issue, then say they have an addiction issue.

Just something I've noticed and would like you to keep in mind for future podcasts.

October 12, 2015 @ 6:19 PM

@Kim

I would never refer to mental health issues as "demons".

With regards to Martin Streek, "demons" is the term his friends have used with me for his battles with drugs. His addictions are the "demons", not his clinical depression (if he in fact suffered from that, I honestly don't know).

October 12, 2015 @ 6:25 PM

@Kim

These chats with friends of Martin are together in episode 82. I do hope you'll listen for better context. http://www.torontomike.com/2014/07/toronto_miked_podcast_episode_82.html

I have family members who suffer from mental illnesses. I take it all very, very seriously.

October 12, 2015 @ 6:29 PM