The Maple Leafs Forever...

Typically, I'm all over the Leafs in the preseason. This year, it's a different story.

This year, I've been so consumed by the Blue Jays I haven't had the time or desire to watch the Leafs. I saw ten minutes of a preseason game against the Red Wings, was reminded of how awful we'll be, and decided to watch an episode of Shameless with my wife instead.

Tonight, however, I'll be watching my Leafs. It's opening night vs. the Habs and the Jays don't start up again until tomorrow. Here's another brilliant montage by Tim Thompson set to the sweet sounds of Lowest of the Low lead singer Ron Hawkins. If this doesn't get you in the mood, nothing will.

Jay

Yeah, I'm feeling the same way. I'm 100% laser-focused on the Jays right now, but I'll be watching the Leafs tonight. This year will be interesting just to see what Babcock can get out of this collection of misfits and rejects. If the Jays had Game 1 tonight, the Leafs would be beyond an afterthought. But tonight's it's the Leafs and tomorrow...oh, man. So psyched.

October 7, 2015 @ 8:46 AM

Al The Royal Pain

I had no idea tonight was opening night. That's how off the radar hockey is with me right now. After the Jays, my interest will turn to the Raptors. It's sad really how apathetic I've become towards the Leafs. I hope to catch the fever again, I just don't see it happening this season.

@Jay

I hope for the Leafs' sake, Babcock fails. The worse thing they can do is become a plucky little team that just makes it into the play-offs. That's been their MO for the last 20 years. Not quite good enough to win, not quite bad enough to get really good. They NEED to be bad for awhile...really bad. To me the Babcock signing was 2-3 years premature.

October 7, 2015 @ 9:46 AM

Argie

I'm not saying this team is going to make the playoffs but they're not going to finish at or near the bottom as most believe. Babcock wont let it happen - he's too intense and proud to put up with that.

October 7, 2015 @ 10:14 AM

Al The Royal Pain

@Argie

That's what I'm afraid of.

October 7, 2015 @ 10:45 AM

Keith

Last season it was Will Arnett going on about the importance of the Maple Leaf, and now this. Nice touch, but another montage of blowing the dust off old footage trying to get people to forget how atrocious this franchise has been for decade gets pretty tiring.

October 7, 2015 @ 10:54 AM

James Edgar

I had no idea this was opening night. And now that i know I'm just as Blah as i was before i knew.

i hope they succeed spectacularly and get that first pick in the draft but i agree with Argie I don't think Babcock will let them.

October 7, 2015 @ 10:55 AM

Drunk Johnny Fever

To date I have only 1 complete moron who will bet $ with me.
He says TML will win the cup this season, i say they don't.
$ 25.00 cash.....Oh how should I spend the $ ?? It is just too easy.

October 7, 2015 @ 11:23 AM

@Drunk Johnny Fever

Two possibilities:

1. Your friend doesn't like money and wants you to have it

2. Your friend is mentally challenged

October 7, 2015 @ 11:25 AM

Douglas

I know I won't be watching any Leafs hockey tonight. The Cubs-Pirates game looks far more interesting, as does the Flames-Canucks game, but I doubt I'll be able to stay awake to watch most of it. Maybe even Law and Order: Special Victims Unit or Criminal Minds (featuring the very attractive former Oshawa resident A. J. Cook). Oh, wait...what's still on the PVR?

October 7, 2015 @ 11:38 AM

@Douglas

I'll be flipping over to watch the wildcard game, too.

So I'll be Leafs vs. Habs and Pirates vs. Cubs.

October 7, 2015 @ 12:43 PM

Nick

Mike, I totally agree! For the first time in 50 years, I honestly don't give a crap about the Leafs. For the first time in 40 years, I don't know who the starting goalie is, the defencemen, the forwards, who got cut, who stayed, who the assistant coaches are and I could go on. Just don't care anymore. It started with the Game 7 in Boston and it just went downhill from there. I actually had the opportunity to go to the game tonight and turned it down. In fact at game time, my wife and I, will start our official training towards the GoodLife half marathon on May 1, 2016 with our running group. Guys, I would rather run with my wife than watch a Leafs game against the HABS live. Now my wife is great company but 2 years ago, I would have been at the game.

October 7, 2015 @ 12:46 PM

Nick

oh and by the way, I will be at the Jays game tomorrow afternoon. Already have the afternoon booked off!

October 7, 2015 @ 12:48 PM

Cheryl

You bet I will be listening to Habs at Leafs, but the Habs side, not the awful Leafs announcers and Carey Price will shut the Leafs down. Sure he will. Habs are winning the cup.

October 7, 2015 @ 2:25 PM

Mrmojorisinca

Babcock will influence the team to work hard..doesn't mean the talent level is there..they will still be last in the division. top 5 pick again I think..

October 7, 2015 @ 3:48 PM

RJ

Baseball and Modern Family tonight

October 7, 2015 @ 7:11 PM

andrew

PATHETIC 1st goal. I could have stopped it.

Gonna be a LONG season & only watch when nothing is else available after baseball.

I do like the fish aquarium or the fireplace showing on Rogers channel 3, just may be like watching the Leafs - Da Da Da.

October 7, 2015 @ 8:01 PM

Cheryl

How bout those Habs. I told you they would win. So Carey Price allowed one goal. Anyway, as I said, the Habs are winning the cup. It will be their year so you guys better start cheering for a good team like the Habs.

October 8, 2015 @ 9:57 AM