GMC Yukon XL Test Drive

I took a couple of weeks off to spend time with the family, first camping and then renting a cottage in Muskoka. There are five of us, two tents, a cooler, several sleeping bags, a BBQ and, well, everything else. To borrow a line from Martin Brody, we're going to need a bigger car.

GM Canada came through with a bigger car. Except it's not just big, it's absolutely humongous. The GMC Yukon XL has seats for nine and a mind-boggling amount of space in the trunk. Here's the little guy for scale.

20150817_184032

Everything fit!

20150816_203416

I had come from a Mazda Protege, so it took me a little time to adapt to my new size, but in no time I forgot I was driving a small bus. It was a quiet, smooth ride to Sandbanks, and its 5.3L V8 EcoTec3 engine was a welcome change.

20150816_180714

What a great week!

Argie

Dammit Mike! You proudly drive this gas-guzzler while single-handedly contributing to global warming??? Think of our children's future!

August 26, 2015 @ 2:12 PM

Hector

Does anyone really need a vehicle that size?

August 26, 2015 @ 2:52 PM

@Hector

Large families or smaller families with mega cargo.

August 26, 2015 @ 3:37 PM

Rick C in Oakville

These and Escalades are the standard vehicle used by the soccer moms out here in Oakville. We never subscribed, our 1999 Honda CRV worked for us.
Since I drive a Prius, how was the gas mileage between this and the Explorer?

August 27, 2015 @ 10:29 AM

@Rick C in Oakville

Let's see... this has a 100 litre tank, whereas the Explorer has a 70 litre tank.

I drove 472 km to Sandbanks and back with the Yukon, all on a single tank of gas. I think I had almost a quarter of a tank left when I got home.

I drove 516 km to White Birches Cottages and back with the Explorer, and was probably half way home when I stopped for gas.

According to the specs, the Explorer is better on gas than the Yukon, but the Yukon has more cargo space and more power.

August 27, 2015 @ 11:58 AM

Roshan

Jeez your kids have become so big!

August 29, 2015 @ 10:32 PM