Mitchell Marner: Future Leaf?

The Toronto Maple Leafs hold the fourth overall pick in this year's NHL entry draft. Will they select London Knights center #93 Mitchell Marner?

Argie

I love how this kid plays - great hands, great hockey sense, etc. Unfortunately most if not all NHL coaches are going to want him to play "200 feet hockey."

Can you imagine this kid playing for Babcock? Babcock would have turned Gretzky into a 2-way player. Nowadays, very team wants a Toews/Getzlaf type center.

April 20, 2015 @ 1:23 PM

Jason from Sudbury

Dylan Strome would be another good pick up.

April 20, 2015 @ 1:48 PM

Mrmojorisinca

I read it either this guy here or Strom who plays with McDavid..
can you believe the luck Edmonton has..

April 20, 2015 @ 1:48 PM

McDavid is a slam dunk 1 and Eichel is a slam dunk 2.

3 will likely be Hanafin.

That leaves Marner or Strome at 4. I'm feeling Marner, but both will be good NHLers.

April 20, 2015 @ 3:13 PM

dale

As of now I think Strome is better physically (much bigger) & experience.

Marner is a mini me of Johnny Gaudreau from calgary.

April 20, 2015 @ 5:39 PM

Chris gallant

strome is best pick for leafs period lead league in points too. If strome there n we skip on him id be upset could be straw break camels back n stop cheering for leafs. It's strome no question ask

April 20, 2015 @ 6:20 PM

Chris gallant

April 20, 2015 @ 6:20 PM

Strome or Marner is the big question. There are excellent arguments for both. Yes, Strome is bigger, but Marner is a better skater. And Mark Hunter knows them both far better than you and I. I trust his judgement here.

April 20, 2015 @ 6:30 PM

andrew

As previous Laffs 1st round draft picks, they may pick a "sleeper" from Europe who was rated 20th or lower.

April 20, 2015 @ 6:57 PM

Speysidephil

Strome- 6' 3 " 186 lbs.
Marner- 5' 11" 164 lbs.

It's a no brainer , you need size in today's NHL.

April 20, 2015 @ 7:41 PM

@Speysidephil

McDavid going first is a no-brainer, Eichel going second is a no-brainer, but Strome over Marner is far from a no-brainer.

April 20, 2015 @ 7:52 PM

Speysidephil

@Mike

To each his own , but given their similar records I would take size.

April 20, 2015 @ 7:59 PM

@Speysidephil

Fair enough, but it's a brainer!

April 20, 2015 @ 8:00 PM

Mrmojorisinca

Strome is a c and the other guy rw I believe..we need a big center..I'd take the center.

April 21, 2015 @ 9:20 AM

@Mrmojorisinca

Some analysts have Marner as a winger, others have him as a center.

I'm sold on both Strome and Marner. And if we're lucky, maybe Noah Hanifin falls to fourth.

April 21, 2015 @ 9:29 AM

Mrmojorisinca

@TO MIKE, isn't Marner small? and Hanifin a defenceman?
I know the leafs need help in all areas but I think Big Strong Centers are hard to come by in Today NHL..so I'd take strome..but like you said Hunter knows them all better then you and I so I guess lets see what happens Draft day..looking forward to see what happens with the current CORE to be honest more then anything else..and then who will coach this new team..will it be a short term coach or a coach that will stick around for a build and hopefully run at the cup..

April 21, 2015 @ 2:20 PM

@Mrmojorisinca

The Leafs should not be drafting by position. We should be taking the best player available, regardless of position. We need help everywhere.

Marner's small in the way Kane is small. And yes, Hanifan is a defenseman, but I suspect he'll go 3rd overall.

April 21, 2015 @ 2:24 PM

Anonymous

@ TO MIKE

Point taken..best player available makes sense when you need the help everywhere :)
You Think Kessel will be a Leaf?

April 21, 2015 @ 2:34 PM

Yes, I think Kessel remains a Leaf. I think Phaneuf will be traded.

April 21, 2015 @ 2:43 PM

Mrmojorisinca

Same here..think Bozak and Lupal are gone as well though..

April 21, 2015 @ 2:43 PM

Lupul for sure, not certain about Bozak...

April 21, 2015 @ 2:45 PM

Mrmojorisinca

Bozak contract is fairly cheap but just for new blood reasons.

April 21, 2015 @ 2:53 PM

Mel Preston

It is funny how players I had never even heard of a few months ago, I feel like now should definitely be drafted or I'll be disappointed. I'm going to trust Hunter and Dubas on this as they are new blood in management and come with the reputation of knowing the OHL very well. But everything I've read tells me they can't go wrong with either Strome or Marner.

What I really liked hearing was Dubas on the radio saying "We'll get a very good player with the 4th pick. What we have to start doing a better job of is getting a very good player with the Nashville pick (mid 20's). That's where this team has struggled in the past. We are really focusing a lot of our time on that pick and making sure we don't miss on that one."

Really encouraging comments for a Leafs fan!

April 21, 2015 @ 5:38 PM