Easier Isn't Always Better

I discovered this video by Dr. Mike Evans via Twitter. He wants us to make our day harder, and it's music to my ears. Here's the video... I'll share more of my thoughts after the jump.

I really like this video because it jives with most of what I already practice. Before going anywhere, I ask myself if I can walk or bike it. If I can, that's exactly what I do. It's non-negotiable.

I also use a push mower, manual snow shovel and stairs whenever possible. It's a decision I've made to make some things harder because easier isn't always better. All of these examples show up in the video.

I haven't gone to the extreme, I still own a car and drive it when necessary, but I've made a concerted effort to "tweak my week". Let's make our day harder.

Argie

@Mike
I hear you but how about indoor plumbing, or electricity or using your tablet, phone, laptop, etc? Do you stay away from those things too?

April 21, 2015 @ 11:23 AM

@Argie

I don't get your point.

This isn't about being a luddite or conserving energy. Of course I don't stay away from indoor plumbing, electricity or my laptop / phone.

I don't think you watched the video.

April 21, 2015 @ 11:27 AM

Argie

You're right, I didn't watch the video.

April 21, 2015 @ 12:11 PM

@Argie

You should. It's a light and breezy 4-minutes.

April 21, 2015 @ 1:18 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Before viewing the video I had the same thoughts as Argie, but it really is a PSA like Participaction, to get us to be more physically healthy. Now if I could only find the extra time!!

April 22, 2015 @ 5:07 AM

Lynne

Love the idea! The real estate ads come with walkability scores now. Looking at early retirement and a possible move in the next couple of years, we are aiming for a score higher than 85. It would be great to walk for most errands in our old age, a park and waterfront would be helpful too. It would be even greater to permanently lose the car and rent a car by the hour if we need one. In the meantime, we are probably the last bungalow-owning couple in the GTA who still do our dishes by hand. It is good togetherness time after supper. (We had to decide between a small table in our kitchen or a dishwasher. The table won.)

April 22, 2015 @ 8:03 AM

@Lynne

We do our dishes by hand.

April 22, 2015 @ 8:36 AM

Lynne

@Mike
I don't feel so alone now ;-)

April 23, 2015 @ 2:06 PM