Winter Ride in Toronto #biketo

I strapped on my GoPro for yesterday's bike ride. I wanted to show people how safe my route is, even when the trails are covered in snow.

I'll ride every day unless one of the following is true:

1. It's colder than -20°C with the windchill
  2. Snow has been falling for a while and plows haven't got out yet

This winter, there have only been two or three days where one of the above was true. it's been a fantastic winter in Toronto for cycling.

When there is snow on the trails, I do precisely two things to reduce the chances of my ass hitting the pavement. I will:

1. Reduce my speed to ~22km/h
  2. Widen all turns - a sharp turn on ice or snow is a sure-fire way to fall

Some think it must be awfully chilly out there. The fact is, when I layer up appropriately, only two parts of my body will get even a little cold:

1. My toes
  2. My fingers

Here's yesterday's 20km ride along the Waterfront Trail in southwest Toronto and Mississauga.

Sam in Pickering

That lady at the very beginning of Part 4 wasn't going to budge, was she?

January 28, 2015 @ 4:01 PM

Rick C in Oakville

You call that snow Mike! Just busting your chops after going through the East Coast storm the last 2 days.
Is there such a thing as studded bike tires which may ensure you don't end up dependent on your family after a spill?

January 28, 2015 @ 4:15 PM

@Rick C in Oakville

Definitely. If I were commuting daily on busy streets, I'd invest in snow tires for the bike.

For now, if it's unsafe, I just skip the ride.

January 28, 2015 @ 4:17 PM

Dawn Keibals

I see you are one of those special bikers whom feels there is no need to stop at STOP signs on public roads.
Very responsible indeed.

January 28, 2015 @ 5:14 PM

@Dawn Keibals

Again?

I've been very clear on this, several times. I practice the Idaho stop. I treat every stop sign like a yield sign and every red light like a stop sign.

January 28, 2015 @ 5:18 PM

Glen

@Mike

Have you ever though of doing an audio commentary with your GoPro ? Maybe a stream of conscience as you ride along the Toronto trails and release it as a video podcast.

January 28, 2015 @ 6:00 PM

@Glen

Believe it or not, that's exactly what I did in these videos. I realize you can't actually hear my voice... I'll have to see if I can switch the mic to the headphone mic.

You'll see a truck that completely ignores me... and that woman at the beginning of the fourth video who wouldn't budge, no matter how many times I rang my bell at her. I find this is common in the winter when people are absolutely shocked to see they're still sharing the hybrid trail with cyclists.

January 28, 2015 @ 6:07 PM

Lyle Lanley

@Dawn Keibals

I saw these stop signs. Quiet side streets with no cars to be seen. What Mike did was completely safe.

Do you come to a complete stop in your car when you meet stop signs in situations like this?

January 28, 2015 @ 6:25 PM

CQ

Winter cycling, it's easily too much strain upon the 'plumbing system' for some of us.

January 29, 2015 @ 12:44 PM

Squealer

Two wheels good, four wheels better.

January 29, 2015 @ 1:05 PM

markosaar

That's it. Going for a ride tomorrow morning.

January 31, 2015 @ 2:28 PM