Serial Podcast Review

Serial Podcast ReviewI just finished episode 9 of Serial, which means I'm up to date. There are three episodes remaining, and they'll be released over the next few Thursdays.

I'm a big fan of podcasts, but only subscribe to a handful. I even produce my own podcast and have been working with podcasts since 2006. So when I write about Serial, I'm writing as a podcast expert.

Season 1 of Serial is an investigation into the 1999 murder of Hae Min Lee in Baltimore. It's very well produced and very interesting. Essentially, it's a long episode of This American Life chopped into 12 parts, and that's a good thing.

I'm finding this series inspiring. At the heart of a compelling podcast is a good story. This is a very good story, and absolutely true. At this point, I feel like I know Adnan Musud Syed personally and am completely invested in his fate.

If you're a fan of podcasts, it's likely you've already sampled Serial. If not, you may want to dive in and hear what all the fuss is about. You can subscribe to Serial here.

Claire

It's certainly captivating stuff. I wonder how much of that has to do with the once a week release. Nothing drives up interest like a bit of anticipation! It's like water-cooler TV all over again. With shows that are released all at once eg House of Cards, if you can't watch in the first few days you have to be so careful with spoilers etc, especially on social media.

December 2, 2014 @ 8:19 PM

mike d

will definitely check it out, sounds like a great podcast. What are some of your other favourites?

December 2, 2014 @ 8:34 PM

@mike d

Lately, I've been preferring Canadian podcasts.

These include:
Taggart and Torrens
Canadaland
Humble and Fred
Toronto Mike'd (a man's gotta review his craft!)

But I'm also listening to a few US podcasts, including:

This American Life
Pitch
Pop Culture Happy Hour
Serial (obviously)

December 2, 2014 @ 8:49 PM

elvis

I've subscribed.

December 3, 2014 @ 8:59 AM

Al The Royal Pain

It's great and one of the things I like about it is that as listeners, we're not that far behind the story. We're almost hearing it as it happens. You say that there are only 3 episodes left (I didn't know that). What if it isn't resolved? After all, in this past week, Adnan has been in the news and he's appealing his conviction. This story could go on past the Serial season.

I also love how the journalist hasn't made up her mind either way about Adnan's guilt. In one episode she sounds like she's sure he's innocent and then in the next she's not so sure anymore.

Great podcast! Almost as good as Toronto Miked. ;)

December 3, 2014 @ 11:24 AM

Steve

Does this website theme you're using not have a mobile version? C'mon!

December 4, 2014 @ 8:34 AM

@Steve

It's not a "theme", that's why. It's hand written HTML by yours truly, written before mobile versions were a thing.

And as soon as I find a chunk of time I'm going to re-write it all for 2015. I promise.

December 4, 2014 @ 9:08 AM

Al The Royal Pain

@Mike

Rewrite it if you must...or you can check out a site like Squarespace where all the heavy lifting is done for you. I use it for the band site and it's pretty awesome. I know you're probably used to having more control than a typical WYSIWYG editor can provide, but today's WYSIWYGs aren't nearly as limiting as they used to be.

December 4, 2014 @ 9:31 AM

Al The Royal Pain

Well that didn't take long. Nice job on the redesign Mike.

December 4, 2014 @ 9:09 PM

Dawn

Can't wait for every Thursday morning to listen to the newest episode. Really enjoy the podcast. It is like going back to the days of radio where there were episodic stories that the family would gather around the radio to listen too. I realize it is real life but it is similar to the origins of soap operas.
I enjoy reading crime novels and this feels like Sarah is reading a novel to me I just wish I could turn the page sooner than once a week.

December 5, 2014 @ 10:45 AM

markosaar

Well, it's great.

Sidenote, been playing it over Chromecast while cleaning our apartment, and my fiancee has finally taken an interest in podcasts.

December 6, 2014 @ 4:27 PM