Sad Santas Everywhere

This inflatable Santa Claus trend seems to have spiked over the past few years. It's not just inflatable Santas people are putting on their front lawns, it's giant inflatable snowmen and reindeer, too.

When fully inflated at night, it's a great sight for kids of all ages. They're typically illuminated and colourful and quite the spectacle. But when I go for my daily lunchtime bike ride, it's just plain sad.

I'd guess at least 90% of the inflatable Santas I ride past are completely deflated, making them sad piles of festive plastic. If I didn't know better, I'd think the jolly old elf was shot dead in his tracks. On one street in my neighbourhood, two out of every three houses have a sad deflated Santa on their lawn when I ride past. Here's a pic I took on Friday.

20141219_125822

At night they're blown up and ready for action, but during the day it's just sad.

Speysidephil

@mike

Very strange but I noticed this also this week out in the country. More and more houses are using them. Why do they deflate?? I haven't seen one that stays inflated during the day.

December 21, 2014 @ 10:48 AM

@Speysidephil

I'm hoping someone who owns one of these inflatable characters will chime in and tell us how exactly they work and why they're always deflated during the day.

December 21, 2014 @ 11:00 AM

GUNTer

my sis has numerous ones (probably 10+) - she lives on a farm in lakefield. I find them kinda tacky but she loves it. I believe they deflate because they are all hooked up with the Christmas lights. so when you turn off the Christmas lights the fan blowing up santa turns off and he takes a fall.

December 21, 2014 @ 12:10 PM

Lorne

They aren't airtight. When they're plugged in and turned on, there's an air compressor blowing wind through them, "inflating" them.

They aren't so much balloons as they are shaped sheets. Think about taping a bed sheet around a box fan. Turn on the fan, you get a big inflated thing. Turn off the fan, you have a sheet laying on top of a fan.

People turn these things off during the day to save electricity.

I don't know if they sell any true inflatables, that are airtight balloons and would stay inflated without constant power (like an inflatable camping mattress)

December 21, 2014 @ 1:17 PM

I get it. People most likely shut these off with their lights to save energy, resulting in dead Santas everywhere.

December 21, 2014 @ 1:25 PM

Speysidephil

@Cheryl

You See Cheryl, dead Santa's everywhere. He is Real.

December 21, 2014 @ 2:11 PM

Irv

An inflatable Santa wouldn't work. Colder nights would cause the air to contract & the santa to deflate a bit (hot air expands).

December 21, 2014 @ 2:12 PM

dale

@ Cheryl

Santa is a magical person & does come to life when you beleive.

My 1st grandson born in Ottawa last week believes in Santa & there will be gifts under the tree for him.

Wifey left this morning for 5-6 hr drive & coming back tomorrow night as I couldn't go to work commitments Monday. I talked to Everett on the phone when my wife called saying she made the trip & Grandpa was emotional, hearing a breath of life & slight whimpering. Grandma said he probably needed a diaper change.

We both will be going New Years day for an extra long weekend.

December 21, 2014 @ 2:24 PM

this guest

from inflated to
flat

like Billy the Kid
at a sheepherder's
convention

"Can't somebody stop him?"
"We've turned the power off til tonight."

December 21, 2014 @ 3:07 PM

this guest

on second thought
that should be
Sheepherders' convention

on third thought
it perhaps shouldn't be

December 21, 2014 @ 3:09 PM

Lorne

@Irv: good point about the change in air temp. Didn't think of that.

December 21, 2014 @ 9:40 PM