Nothing Beats the World Juniors

I love this tournament. I always have. Canada games during the World Juniors are mandatory viewing for me, regardless of the time zone.

This time, the tournament is in Canada. In fact, I'll be attending the gold medal game at the ACC. Here's hoping we're playing in that one.

Here's Canada's roster for the 2015 World Juniors:

Lawson Crouse F 2015 OHL Kingston Frontenacs
Frederik Gauthier F 2013 (21st) QMJHL Rimouski Oceanic
Jake Virtanen F 2014 (6th) WHL Calgary Hitmen
Brayden Point F 2014 (79th) WHL Moose Jaw Warriors

Go Canada, Go!

Jason from Sudbury

Yup, always look forward to this every year.

December 26, 2014 @ 2:13 PM

Steve

Yep, nothing like putting the pressure of a whole nation on a bunch of teenagers in a tournament that no country outside Canada really doesn't give a shit about.

December 26, 2014 @ 3:25 PM

dale

Steve - I agree no other country other than U,S. gives a crap about this tourney.
Canada may rule but haven't won a medal in 3 years or Gold in 5.
You jinxed this again much like last week about the Leafs - lose 3 game to crappy teams & win 1.

Go Finland go - my son's adopted country.

December 26, 2014 @ 3:41 PM

I love this tournament.

Can't wait for Canada vs. Slovakia tonight.

And I couldn't care less what other nations think about it.

December 26, 2014 @ 3:44 PM

m m

To be honest I stopped following hockey in the late 90s (I am +/- 2 years from Mike's age). I didn't even know the juniors are being held here this year, I always found the junior worlds full of energy. I would love to check out a game. Ticketmaster seems to not sell any playoff games. Is there another place to get tickets to the semis or the final?

December 27, 2014 @ 10:57 AM

Igor

8-0? U mean u watched the whole game? ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

U must have drunk the TSN Koolaid.

December 27, 2014 @ 11:15 AM

Ben Vidal

I agree with Steve and Dale. I dont care much for hockey, but this tournament is horrible. Id rather watch any sport in the Pan Am games. TSN's coverage is obnoxious. In a week the good news is no one will even care about and most people will blink and not realize it happened.

December 27, 2014 @ 12:11 PM

Idea: if you don't enjoy this tournament, don't watch.

I happen to love it, and will be watching every game Canada plays. I'm fairly certain I'm not alone.

December 27, 2014 @ 12:35 PM

dale

Nothing can beat the World Juniors?

How about a Stanley Cup or World Series win?

December 27, 2014 @ 5:54 PM

@dale

This is my favourite tournament of all.

That's not to say I wouldn't be over the moon with a Leafs Stanley Cup win.

December 27, 2014 @ 6:32 PM

Irv

I think the reason people feel the tournament is "over the top" is because sometimes Canadians carry themselves in that fashion.

Honestly, I find it embarrassing when I see Canadians gloating "we are the best" after we beat some 3rd world nation in hockey. Yeah, we won 8 - 0, how is that impressive? That's like me getting a fight with a 7 year old kid and winning.

If this country is going to impress me in sports, I'll be impressed when we even qualify for the World Cup.

December 28, 2014 @ 12:07 AM

@Irv

No real hockey fan takes any great pride in destroying Slovakia or Germany.

December 28, 2014 @ 12:10 AM

Ben Vidal

If no real hockey fan takes delight in an 8-0 win then how is it really an exciting tourney? For that matter that isnt really hockey you are watching, but a practise.

December 28, 2014 @ 10:13 AM

Ben Vidal

December 28, 2014 @ 10:13 AM

Ben Vidal

December 28, 2014 @ 10:13 AM

@Ben Vidal

Really?

The next two games are against formidable opponents and then it's playoffs.

Most of Canada will be watching.

December 28, 2014 @ 11:35 AM

Irv

Oh those smug types are hockey fans. Don't kid yourself. Same with the fans who smash windows (like in Vancouver). It's a real part of sports. Let's face it Mike, the "goon" side of the sport exists even if you wish it away. Just like Toronto has a "goon" side who supported the Fords. It's just an embarrassment to the other side.

I'd argue that liking junior hockey makes you more of a fan than watching the NHL.

Myself, I never liked team sports. On occasion I watched them. Weird because I like athletics. I run & weight lift on a near daily basis (cept Friday night). Yet no interest in playing team sports.

December 28, 2014 @ 12:59 PM

Ben Vidal

My apologies Mike for the triple post. I wrote from my phone and I must have hit post comment more than once.

My point is that this tourney will have die hards that watch it and probably as the playoff rounds go people will tune in by greater numbers growing with each potential win getting closer to the finals. However if Canada gets knocked out early watch those numbers dive. Your statement about most of Canada will be watching I don't believe to be true, especially if Canada shits the bed.

My group of friends are hockey fanatics. When it comes to the NHL they continually spew stats and information regarding teams. The other night not a single one of them tuned in or cared to tune in to the Juniors. I of course know this is my microcosm, but being at any pubs the last couple of days or even the gym, no one was even paying attention. At the gym there are guys that will watch Poker if it's on the TV's while they are running. You would expect them to be drawn to hockey like moths to a flame. This simply isn't the case

They can't even sell tickets to the event, and don't use the price as the factor of not selling out the arena's, because we know people pay good money to see the leafs shit the bed.

December 29, 2014 @ 2:43 PM

@Ben Vidal

I'm saying most of Canada will be watching if Canada's playing.

December 29, 2014 @ 3:16 PM

Irv

The average ratings for the tournament are less than for the Grey Cup final. It's a decent sized draw but nothing huge. 6. World junior hockey, Canada vs. Russia, Friday, TSN: 480,000

I have to wonder how long it will be before the Raptors pull in bigger ratings than the Leafs?

December 29, 2014 @ 5:43 PM

That Canada vs. Russia game was an exhibition game.

And I wouldn't expect it to top the Grey Cup, often the most watched program of the year in Canada.

December 29, 2014 @ 6:22 PM

And by all accounts it really is a ratings juggernaut. The 2011 final was watched by 6.2 million Canadians.

December 29, 2014 @ 6:25 PM