Lots of Options Beyond iTunes for Podcasts

Podcasts went mainstream in 2014. We can thank Serial for that. But even as podcasts take off in popularity, I sense confusion from people as to how they should manage their podcasts.

Firstly, iTunes is not your only option. It's a fine option, particularly for the desktop / laptop, but there are many excellent alternatives.

I have an Android phone. I've noticed several very good podcast apps that only cost a few dollars, but there's also an excellent free app I've been using lately. It's called Podcast Addict and you can download it from Google Play here.

Once Podcast Addict is installed on your Android device, simply click the + button at the top to add a new podcast. You're presented with several options for adding a new podcast, as shown below.

Screenshot_2014-12-21-19-38-24

You could add the RSS feed for my podcast, which is https://www.torontomike.com/torontomiked.xml, but it's probably easier to search for "Toronto Mike'd".

Screenshot_2014-12-21-19-40-43

It's that simple. You're now subscribed to Toronto Mike'd (or any other podcast you're interesting in) and it's easy to manage which episodes you download and listen to.

Screenshot_2014-12-21-19-41-17

Jason Patterson

This is quite true, I've been saying all year 2014 is the year of the podcast.

December 24, 2014 @ 9:57 AM

@Jason Patterson

Where the hell have you been?

It's a Christmas miracle!

December 24, 2014 @ 9:58 AM

Jason Patterson

Merry Christmas, Toronto Toronto Mike!

I've been busy in other activities.

I'm on the search for the Marsden thing on "that station" from a few days ago. I think it was with Scot Turner? Seems "that station" is in the dark ages, with no "listen again" feature. Hmm.

December 24, 2014 @ 10:02 AM

@Jason Patterson

If you can wait a week or so, David Marsden is guesting on my podcast and I'll ask him anything you want.

And you can listen to it over and over and over again on-demand.

December 24, 2014 @ 10:06 AM

Jason Patterson

Thank You, but I can ask myself, I only wondered if there was a way to hear the special show he was on. I'll look out for your Marsden show. I don't have many questions left, it's all well documented.

December 24, 2014 @ 12:09 PM

@Jason Patterson

Some is not documented at all.

For example, we're told his show is leaving The Rock, but he's going to do a farewell show. Suddenly, that farewell show is cancelled.

What happened? I'm going to find out.

December 24, 2014 @ 1:41 PM

Irv

It was implied on SOWNY that he was offered a last show & refused it. It's in a thread at SOWNY. I think "Ziggy" mentions it.

@TM

The rise of the podcast isn't about the podcast so much. It's about "on demand" which is the direction our society is headed (like Netflix is about on demand more than the 9 bucks you pay). Same reason people watch Youtube instead of MuchMusic (and why video channels will never return in the classic sense).

Podcasting is like all technology. It's all about timing. It was a feasible idea 10 years ago. But our society is rapidly moving toward on-demand portable entertainment. This is a macro thing more than a micro thing.

On the downside if you happen to be in radio..well you have a problem.

December 24, 2014 @ 3:39 PM

I'd like to find out from Marsden himself why he refused it.

December 24, 2014 @ 3:51 PM

Irv

@TM

Yeah, SOWNY is a negative place. And it's still my fault lol

December 24, 2014 @ 5:58 PM

Jason Patterson

Guess they pulled the Mp3. Thanks yet again Corus boys.

December 24, 2014 @ 7:48 PM

markosaar

Thanks for the tip re: Podcast Addict. I use Doggcatcher on Android, and it works great for me. But people keep asking me for advice about "these podcast things", and then are hesitant to invest a few bucks in an app.

December 29, 2014 @ 8:29 AM