Hate-Watching The Newsroom

When it comes to scripted television, I watch very little. I caught The Simpsons Christmas episode on Sunday, but mainly to recapture some of the joy I experienced watching that show in the early 90s. I'll watch the odd episode of Seinfeld or Modern Family in syndication if I'm feeding the baby, but otherwise I'm really just waiting for the final episodes of Mad Men to air.

Oh... and I watch The Newsroom. Not the Ken Finkleman Newsroom but the Aaron Sorkin Newsroom. I started watching because I really liked Sports Night and The West Wing and I kept watching because it's wonderfully awful.

acn

Other than the great opening scene in the pilot and a couple of fantastic scenes in the penultimate episode that aired last weekend, it's scene after scene of cheesy convenience, cringe-worthy moments and holier than thou attitude from the sanctimonious ACN crew. One storyline this final scene actually concluded with the HR Manager revealing it was all just a joke. I found that fitting, because this entire series is a joke.

When I watch The Newsroom with my wife, I literally yell at the screen. I yell at the web guy when his top notch digital research consists of searching Twitter, I yell at Jim for being so pathetic and condescending and then I yell at everyone for loving Jim so much. But I do watch.

I can't wait to see how Sorkin ends this.

m m

Sorry, off-topic, but I loved Ken Finkelman's series, that was pure gold, at the time. I haven't watched the american one, but I kind of expected it to be overhyped, much like Homeland.

December 10, 2014 @ 2:49 PM

@m m

I loved Finkleman's Newsroom, too.

I actually don't think Sorkin's The Newsroom is overhyped, because there really isn't much hype.

December 10, 2014 @ 3:05 PM

The Voice

My wife loves it for the people and references to current events.

I can't stand Jim.

December 10, 2014 @ 3:09 PM

@The Voice

Jim is the worst. And they have him on this pedestal. Infuriating!

December 10, 2014 @ 3:10 PM

Mark H

As somebody with sympathies that lean left, the Newsroom should be right up my alley, but the whole show comes off condescending. And just when you don't think they can get more condescending, they go have the alpha male news producer lecture a college student on Rape.

I've watched it all, liked it at times, but ultimately think that Sorkin's hindsight view of how he would've done it just makes the show dross.

I'm anxiously awaiting the Sorkin series about the Toronto Maple Leafs where in 20/20 Hindsight THAT penalty isn't called and we all get the Montreal-Toronto Stanley Cup that would've saved hockey.

December 10, 2014 @ 3:25 PM

Al The Royal Pain

I haven't caught the current season yet. I'm waiting for it to end so I can watch it all at once.

I love the show! I never watched The West Wing or Sports Night, but I gave this a try on some people's recommendations. Yes it's melodramatic, but I eat it up. Interesting characters (for the most part) compelling subject matter and great dialogue.

Once it's over, i will definitely check out other Sorkin Material that I've missed. A few Good Men is still one of my favourite films and I started watching Studio 60, but it never quite got going, then it was gone. The Social Network and Moneyball were also pretty good.

December 10, 2014 @ 3:25 PM

@Al The Royal Pain

I watched Studio 60, as well.

I guess I tune into all things Sorkin...

December 10, 2014 @ 3:26 PM

@Mark H

Politically, I'm pretty aligned with the show, but like you said, it's more condescending than Wilner.

And that lecture with the rape victim was tough to watch. Essentially, that guy won't believe any woman who claims she was raped until the rapist is convicted in the court of law. Ugh.

December 10, 2014 @ 3:28 PM

this guest

have not seen this show even once.
very much enjoyed the dry, acerbic wit of Finkleman's show.

December 10, 2014 @ 5:00 PM

Alan

Coincidentally, Ken Levine who is one of the great TV writers comments on The Newsroom in his blog tonight. Interesting article. http://kenlevine.blogspot.ca/

December 10, 2014 @ 7:16 PM