Cycling Achievements in 2014

I started 2014 thinking cycling was the key to good physical health. I biked to stay fit.

I'm finishing 2014 convinced cycling is the key to good mental health. I bike to gain perspective, collect my thoughts and solve problems. I bike to understand, to analyze and to dream. The physical benefit is just a bonus.

I just finished my final ride of 2014, a 25.01 km ride along the waterfront on a quiet and nippy New Year's Eve. Here's my tale of the tape for 2014, all personal bests.

• Total distance cycled: 4693.42 km
  • Number of rides: 260
  • Time spent riding: 226.54 hours
  • Longest ride: June 7 (123.95 km)
I bike T.O

Rick C in Oakville

Excellent achievement Mike, wish I had the will power to do it. Happy New Year.

January 1, 2015 @ 7:50 AM

CQ

That 100 Km ride is impressive. Some cyclists will also attempt either 100 Miles or 200 Km in a single day. (I might have achieved an unmeasured 100 Km some years of long ago.)

January 1, 2015 @ 2:37 PM

Army42

You are right on about exercise, Mike. My goal after retiring in '97 was to walk 3 miles (5 km) a day. I have not missed many days since. No real health issues. I do bike after walking, but just to hop downtown to do a quick errand or two. Oh, and also to the Legion! (Can one be charged for impaired driving on a bike? ) My aim is to die healthy. :)

January 1, 2015 @ 5:36 PM

Army42

January 1, 2015 @ 5:37 PM

Irv

@This Guest: My farthest in a day was 191 kms. Brampton to Fergus & back. I did it on a full mountain bike too (Trek 9000).

@TM. Yes, biking is more than exercise. It's freedom, a time to think, a time to reflect on the world & life. It's also a great way to feel your community. The same can be said for a bike with an engine. When the weight of my job gets to me, I go for a ride. It clears out my the monsters from my head.

PS. Try the Niagara on the Lake to Fort Erie ride. It's beautiful.

January 1, 2015 @ 7:28 PM

@CQ

I actually biked another 100+ km the day after that long ride.

@Irv

Since I haven't addressed my pinched nerve issue, I've been avoiding rides longer than 60 km. One day, when I get a better bike, I'll return to the long rides.

January 1, 2015 @ 7:58 PM

CQ

@Irv 19:28
When the weight of my no-job gets to me, shiitt, that's when I don't go for a ride nor a run.

January 1, 2015 @ 11:37 PM

Irv

@TM

You could do pieces of it versus the entire thing. The majority of the trail system is a paved path (though a bit is road on the north side of Niagara Falls. There is also lots of place to sit & rest yourself.

@CQ