Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 96: Mike Wilner

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 96In this 96th episode, Mike chats with Blue Jays broadcaster Mike Wilner about his career in radio, the Cito controversy, whether he's condescending and arrogant to BlueJaysTalk callers and when and why he'll block you on Twitter. This episode is exactly 1:11:24.

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd at http://www.torontomike.com/podcast/.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Toronto Fact

He was once a beast and is now a beaut.

Great episode.

November 14, 2014 @ 7:16 PM

Anon&on

That last 2 minutes was gold. Hilarious. I remember those Landry bits, and the early morning calls.

Wilner is rational. I think that's what people can't handle about him. He just seems completely rational about everything all the time.

November 14, 2014 @ 9:28 PM

Declan

Loved every minute of this one. It's right up there with Maddog.

Great job, both of you.

November 14, 2014 @ 9:33 PM

Al Reda

Cito controversy exposed!

November 14, 2014 @ 10:25 PM

Great early feedback on Twitter for this episode:

@Wilnerness590 @torontomike - Really great listen, guys. Very proud to call Mike a devoted co-worker. He's excellent.

— Greg Brady (@bradyfan590) November 15, 2014

@torontomike Good podcast with Mike Wilner. I learned a lot.

— Mark Hebscher (@Hebsyman) November 14, 2014

@torontomike enjoyed the Wilner podcast - still think he is disrespectful to fans - he can still have an intelligent convo and not be a jerk

— Baseball Truths (@baseballtruths1) November 15, 2014

@torontomike Great job on the podcast. The tough questions were asked fairly and @wilderness590 answered honestly.

— Wayne Wilen (@chillynorth) November 14, 2014

.@wilnerness590 @torontomike fantastic interview.. Learned a LOT about mr. wilner.. had I known, i would have asked a question..

— Jason Swaby (@jswaby) November 15, 2014

Cito Controversy Exposed!!! @Wilnerness590 @torontomike Toronto Mike'd Podcast http://t.co/L1kh7lDjJp

— Logan 5 (@HunterOnTheRun) November 15, 2014

@torontomike @Wilnerness590 Excellent interview, guys.

— Canadiac (@Canadiac) November 15, 2014

@Wilnerness590 @torontomike Loved the interview. Do find that sometimes my most innocuous Tweets are met with default rude response.

— Patrick Munholland (@spud64) November 15, 2014

@torontomike good job. I enjoyed it.

— Mike Gamble (@MikeGamble) November 15, 2014

@torontomike just finished the interview. Nice work. I have a different opinion of the guy now for the better

— Keith Wilen (@kewi75) November 14, 2014

@Wilnerness590 @torontomike - Real Good

— Steve Leggett (@steveleggett) November 15, 2014

Just finished recording the 96th @torontomike podcast, and I'm leaving all battered and bruised. He showed no mercy! #HadAGreatTime

— Mike Wilner (@Wilnerness590) November 14, 2014
November 15, 2014 @ 9:59 AM

Andrew

Hey @TorontoMike,

Really enjoyed listening late last night before sleepy time. I see Mike daily during the summer so it was nice to hear a lot of what he was doing before the Fan590.

Looking forward to the "Very Special 100th Episode" coming soon ;)

Cheers,
Andrew

November 15, 2014 @ 11:05 AM

@Andrew

I'm sure the best of will include a story about Airplane 2.

November 15, 2014 @ 11:47 AM

Lorne

I'm sorry, but I didn't find the podcast so positive. Mike Wilner came across as defiant. And he does not seem to understand the value of empathy. Most importantly, it appears as if he feels entitled to be "judge and jury". This is why I have stopped listening to his show, and I'm glad that I did. And Toronto Mike, I didn't find you sufficiently challenging.

November 15, 2014 @ 1:35 PM

Al Reda

Yeah Mike, pummel the man until he squeals!

November 15, 2014 @ 1:49 PM

Lorne

I'm seeing double! Four Lornes!

November 15, 2014 @ 4:54 PM

I should clarify! The disappointed Lorne is a different Lorne from the chef / regular Lorne.

November 15, 2014 @ 5:02 PM

Justin

That was an entertaining podcast. I am no fan of Wilner's style and have flat out stopped listening to his show the last few years but I always love hearing how radio/tv guys get started in the industry until they move up to their current position. Pretty miraculous that Wilner asked to join the campus radio station on a whim and it turned into a successful career.

November 16, 2014 @ 4:54 PM

Al The Royal Pain

Well done Mike. Great podcast.

November 17, 2014 @ 3:10 PM

Brother Ryan

One of the best ones yet. Wilner is not such a bad guy afterall. Good listen. Thanks!

November 18, 2014 @ 1:54 PM

Jason from Sudbury

I listened to this last week, just haven't commented yet.
I'm not much into baseball so it's rare I catch Wilner's shows and I couldn't tell you how he is with callers, whether he comes across as an arrogant asshole, or whatever else people are saying. But to me, listening to the podcast, he sounded angry at some points. Was still cool to hear how he got into radio though.

Really looking forward to Strombo, hopefully #99.

November 19, 2014 @ 10:54 AM