Hi Vince

Hi VinceHi, Vince!

Remember me?

I loved you, man. I was in attendance when you scored 51 against the Suns, I gushed on this blog often when you were Air Carter, and I even busted a television when you missed the buzzer-beating three in game seven against the 76ers.

You're in town with the Grizzlies set to play my Raptors tonight. I hear we've got a tribute in store for you, and the pro-Vince spin doctors are out in full force. I'm old enough to remember what really happened. I remember everything.

Heading into the 2004 season, I hoped for a rebound. I literally gave you 41 reasons to kick ass, but by November 23 it was clear you were dogging it.

Apparently, Vince Carter needs more than 41 reasons to kick ass this season. A player who is averaging 24.1 points for his career is only averaging 14.5 points per game thus far this year. Carter scored just four points on 2-for-9 shooting and didn't play in the fourth quarter while his team mates overcame a 20-point deficit in the second half to beat the San Antonio Spurs 96-91 Sunday. He's not contributing and others are picking up the slack.

Now comes word the "Half-man, half-amazing" doesn't want to dunk anymore. He'll leave the dunking to others and opt for a layup instead. He's as whiny about the pressure to dunk as he is about the league's decision to strip him of his iPod during warmups. It's been a tough week for the $12 million man.

I've been rather vocal in my support of Vince Carter. I want him to play like he can and be a superstar once more for my Raptors. Sadly, it's becoming abundantly clear that he's doing everything in his power to reduce his trade value. He's averaging 14.5 ppg, refusing to dunk and sitting for most fourth quarters. When we finally do trade this major disappointment, we'll likely get little of value in return. Then, without a doubt, Carter will kick it up a notch and shoot the lights out for his new team. I'll bet he even dunks for them.

What a shame.

When Rob Babcock finally pulled the trigger on that brutal trade, I was relieved. Afterall, you quit on us long ago. At least we suspected as much. in December, you confirmed our suspicions.

Since being traded by my Toronto Raptors to the New Jersey Nets, Vince Carter is averaging 22.5 points per game. He's playing hard, taking it to the hoop and putting up points. Those are three things he didn't do before the trade.

TNT broadcast an interview with Carter yesterday in which he was asked if he pushed himself as hard as he should have in Toronto. Below was his response.

"In years past, no. I was fortunate to have the talent ... you get spoiled when you're able to do a lot of things. You see that you don't have to work at it. Now, with the all the injuries, I have to work harder. I'm a little hungrier. Getting a fresh start has made me want to attack the basket."

What an ass. He's essentially admitting he didn't try his best with Toronto. This explains why he looks like a different player in New Jersey. I used to defend Vince Carter when others wanted to get rid of him. Now, I wish him nothing but the worst. Eff him.

So welcome back, enjoy your tribute video, and enjoy our local media all too happy to help you reinvent history. But this fan remembers what really happened. This fan knows better.

Mike Gamble

I feel the "hate" for former Toronto sports players is one of the black eyes that Toronto sports fans wear.

I get us Toronto sports fans are passionate but is the hate really necessary?
We just look like an ex-lover who is jealous that the other person has moved on while we live in the past.

We boo'd Vince Carter, we boo'd Chris Bosh, we boo'd Alex Rios, we boo'd Vernon Wells.

Did I hate Vince when he essentially quit and was traded? Yes.
I boo'd Carter when I was at the ACC when he returned with the Nets in the playoffs in 2007.

Did it help? Obviously not.

I personally feel if one of these teams had won a championship, or made it to a finals, the hate would not be as strong towards these players.

What is the point?

Let's celebrate who we have now and let's celebrate what others have done in the past to grow the sports in Toronto.

(I also know most won't agree with me, feel free to boo me)

November 19, 2014 @ 8:57 AM

@Mike Gamble

Should we have a tribute to him before tonight's game?

November 19, 2014 @ 9:00 AM

McNulty

I don't hate Vince. I was angry then but I'm over it now. He was a great player here and brought the Raptors to the playoffs.

He didn't disparage the city the way Tracy did and he has since apologized and raves about the city.

I'll give him a pass on this one. It was a long time ago and perhaps he's changed his ways.

But I'll never understand the "no dunking" thing. That was bizarre.

November 19, 2014 @ 9:20 AM

@McNulty

I'm not suggesting we hate the man or even boo him.

I'm disappointed we're honouring him with a tribute video while he's still playing for the opposition.

Could you imagine the Habs honouring Patrick Roy while he was playing for the Avs?

November 19, 2014 @ 9:22 AM

h

This tribute puzzles me. Anyone who quits a team should not get a tribute. Maybe....just maybe after he retires. Even then, I am not sure he deserves it.

November 19, 2014 @ 9:26 AM

Mike Gamble

@TorontoMike

No he should not have a tribute while still playing.
Once he retires, yes.

November 19, 2014 @ 9:55 AM

elvis

It's too bad the sports media gets starstruck by an old veteran who continues to use them for good press.

November 19, 2014 @ 9:56 AM

Al The Royal Pain

I agree with DeRozan and the commenters here, the Raptors should wait until Vince retires before honouring him. I know it's the 20 anniversary and so they're bringing all the old raptors back, but there will be other big anniversaries. Bring him back for the 25th, after he retires.

As for what happened during his departure, I'm willing to blame Vince for 50% of what happened. The other 50% lies squarely on the Raptors' organization. It was a mess and a bit of a joke (and that was what we saw from the outside). Imagine what it was like to work for those clowns.

I don't take what Vince did too personally, because I believe it was mostly directed at the Raptors organization and not at the fans. The guy was so young and talented. The scrutiny he was under here would have been a lot for anyone to handle much less a 20 something year-old American in a strange country.

As an aside: Say what you want...this market is one of the few in North America with 4 daily newspapers two sports-only television networks and an all-sports radio station (now two). Plus a nationwide inferiority complex.

I believe our athletes are just badgered to death here (for any sport) so I don't blame them when they opt to go to quieter markets. I probably would too.

November 19, 2014 @ 10:09 AM

Justin

Time heals. People forget. They forget how despicable Carter was.

The man quit on his team, purposely didn't try in games, drove down his trade value, and even stopped dunking. Has there ever been a comparable situation with an athlete wanting to leave town in any sport? Carter couldn't have handled it worse. I don't know if he regrets it now, but at the time he was a very small and immature man-boy. It was a disgusting display of human behavior.

Forgive Vince Carter? No way. HONOUR Vince Carter? Complete madness.

November 19, 2014 @ 11:12 AM

Argie

I agree with Gamble Raptor fans are like a rejected lover - we get all bitter and never forget. Its petty and lame. Time to forgive and move on.

Carter no doubt screwed up here - and he paid the price. He could have been a guaranteed hall-of-famer - but instead will only be known as very good player, who had the potential to be great. Its not the first time we've seen talent wasted.

November 19, 2014 @ 1:09 PM

dale

In 1979-80 season Darryl Sittler ripped the "C" off his jersey & wrote a letter to Maple Leaf Management demanding a trade as the Leafs traded his best freind Lanny McDonald to Colorado.
Sittler had one of the 1st no trade clauses in NHL history & wanted out.

He gave up playing the rest of the season before being traded (given away) to Philadelphia.

If you want to talk about a quitter on a team, Sittler was one also. Sittler now works for the Leafs in a corporate role.

What is the difference here with Carter & Sittler?

Time heals wounds & Carter deserves his recognition tonight as he brought a lot of Canadian players to the NBA. That was his dynasty.

November 19, 2014 @ 8:49 PM

Cambo

It would be nice if the Raptors/Leafs/MLSE in general actually honoured their FANS, instead of honouring millionaires for sport and doing what they're PAID to do.

November 20, 2014 @ 7:59 AM

elvis

@dale - it's very difficult for any Leaf fan to ever believe management was in the right. Both at the time and in hindsight, we know Ballard is one of the worst owners in NHL history (which, admittedly, there is a long list).

November 20, 2014 @ 9:04 AM