Why Haven't You Registered to Donate Your Organs and Tissue?

trilliumOnly 2.96 million out of an eligible 11.74 million people in Ontario have registered to donate their organs. That sucks.

I wrote this entry over 8 years ago so there's no doubt as to my wishes when I die. My family knows that my organs and tissue are available to anyone who needs them once I pass. I certainly won't be needing them.

If you haven't yet registered to donate your organs because you don't want to, I'm curious as to why? Why wouldn't someone want to donate their organs and tissue upon their death?

Cambo

Because our system is broken. I did register, but asking people to register for anything doesn't work.

They need to make it an "assumed yes unless you opt no". That will fix the organ shortage issues.

October 6, 2014 @ 2:59 PM

@Cambo

My understanding is the system wasn't recording some exceptions. So if you registered to donate everything but your eyes, for example, that "eye exception" wasn't recorded and you'd need to update your registration.

I've never understood why anyone would have an exception. If you're going to donate your organs and tissue, donate everything that's needed.

October 6, 2014 @ 3:02 PM

Philly-Bob

@ Mike - I have an organ donation card in my wallet, and my family know my wishes. Is there a database somewhere I should be registering at?

My thoughts are the same as yours, if any part of me can help save a life, or improve someone's quality of life, they are welcome to it.

So again, is an organ doner card enough? or do I need to register somewhere?

October 6, 2014 @ 3:31 PM

Ben Vidal

Take it all. Right from my hair down to my toe nails. I'll have no use for it when I'm gone. I donate blood regularly and if they needed I'd give bone marrow too.

October 6, 2014 @ 3:34 PM

Philly-Bob

Thanks Mike

October 6, 2014 @ 3:40 PM

Speysidephil

Donate your organs Through the above website.
There is no downside for you personally, but my understanding is you can save or improve quality of life to 8 people. Do it now.

October 6, 2014 @ 4:14 PM

Liz

I've registered - they can have any and all of it - because guess what? I won't fucking know or care. Because I will be dead. I like knowing other people could be helped after I die.

October 6, 2014 @ 4:22 PM

Cambo

LOL... I didn't mean "their website is broken"- it works just fine.

I should have said the government process for harvesting organs is broken. It should be an assumed yes response- rather than urging people to sign their donor cards.

The onus should be on the public to "opt out" rather than "opt in".

If that were the case, we'd have a much better supply of donor organs than we do now. It's a shame. Your body is simply water and tissue- no good to you if you're dead but it means life to someone who could use those organs.

October 6, 2014 @ 4:55 PM

headsup

@Torontomike
I am all for donating my organs once I'm done with them. In terms of exceptions, I am blind as a result of a rare genetic eye condition. The rest of my organs work great, but I'd not want to give these eyes to someone once I pass on - they're no good to me, and know they won't be of much help to someone else later on... If you want them, you can have first dibs, though.

October 6, 2014 @ 5:19 PM

Florence Nightingale

In some countries the harvesting works fine. A little too fine
In terms of Canada what is the age cutoff date? At what point are your organs considered too worn out to be of use?

October 6, 2014 @ 5:21 PM

Rob

I had family that lost a daughter at 16. I don't know the final choice but the discussion about organs was had. Mainly they didn't want to give up her eyes in the case the person receiving the donour tracked them down. The parents didn't want to deal with seeing their daughters eyes looking back at them.

October 7, 2014 @ 6:17 AM

519 Rob

Its funny you post this today Mike. I was cleaning up the other day, and found my donor form that I had neglected to send back.
Its sitting on my desk as I type this, and I'll be registering later today.

519Rob

October 7, 2014 @ 8:22 AM

Al The Royal Pain

Registered.

Thanks Mike.

October 7, 2014 @ 8:43 AM

Ajax Mike

All registered. Appreciate it Mike, I didn't realize this was a thing. I've also shared on FB for my (albeit limited) circle. :)

FWIW, I've already done the bone marrow DNA thing too.

October 7, 2014 @ 9:53 PM

markosaar

Service Ontario asked me to register when I replaced a lost health card last year. (I did.)

October 8, 2014 @ 3:20 PM

Teena in Toronto

I registered a couple years ago.

October 8, 2014 @ 5:43 PM

Doug

I registered a few years ago as well. It makes so much sense.

October 9, 2014 @ 5:10 PM