Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 92: Maddog

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 92In this 92nd episode, Mike chats with Jay "Maddog" Michaels about his life in radio, why Billie was fired, Dean Blundell's trash talking and much, much more. This episode is exactly 1:37:21.

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd at http://www.torontomike.com/podcast/.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Andrew

A really great episode Mike. Never met 'Mad Dog' in my radio circles, but I thoroughly enjoyed the chat.

He also sounded great on the mic ;)

Cheers,
Andrew

October 14, 2014 @ 3:40 PM

@Andrew

Thanks, bud!

This was a fun chat because Jay came into it ready to be honest and open.

October 14, 2014 @ 3:42 PM

J

This is compelling stuff. Lots of great Toronto radio nuggets in here.

Great episode.

October 14, 2014 @ 3:50 PM

Argie

@Mike
Has there been a podcast guest you thought afterwards "what a total dick"? I don't expect you to name names but just wondering if there was anyone you couldn't stand.

October 14, 2014 @ 4:00 PM

@Argie

In all honesty, no. Almost all have been extremely nice and a few have exceeded all expectations.

A good example is this episode with Mad Dog. I met him today for the first time and by the 30th minute I felt like I was having an honest chat with a bud. He almost matched Jeff Marek for "longest episode, ever" which is always a good sign.

I've yet to be disappointed but I'm guessing if you agree to visit some stranger's house to have a recorded convo, you're likely a nice person to begin with. Recently, I've been hit with a few "no thank yous" when I've extended the invitation.

October 14, 2014 @ 4:07 PM

Amanda

Loved this podcast, and Jay's openness. I originally found your site from googling something like 'what happened to Billie' (after listening to them for years), so it was interesting to hear his version of why their partnership split up.

October 15, 2014 @ 7:49 AM

Philly-Bob

@ Amanda - would you happen to be Amanda Dunn aka Billie Holiday?

October 15, 2014 @ 8:12 AM

@Philly-Bob

Except my gut feeling is that Amanda Dunn a.k.a. Billie Holliday would not love this episode.

Billie, if you're out there, I'd be happy to have you on a future episode. Contact me so we can set a date.

October 15, 2014 @ 8:39 AM

Irv

@Argie. re: "what a total dick". You and I could go on show & Mike might not like one of us.

October 15, 2014 @ 8:45 AM

Amanda

Ah, I never thought of that... she and I are not the same!

October 15, 2014 @ 9:23 AM

Philly-Bob

@ Mike - I'll be listening this evening, I'm sure there are some clear reasons why you say Billie wouldn't like it.

October 15, 2014 @ 9:25 AM

Argie

@Irv
That's a certainly a possibility.

October 15, 2014 @ 11:10 AM

McNulty

This was a good Podcast. Your interview was very good. I think Jay was a really good guest and made the Podcast worth listening to. His honesty about the breakup with Billie was shocking. I am sure she has a different opinion but it is so refreshing to have some level of openness about these things. I am tired of people holding back and not allowing for the truth to come out.

His honesty about the drugs and booze was great too.

I would love to hear more honesty like that in the future.

October 15, 2014 @ 11:43 AM

rick2

Loved this podcast... I think this was a guy, where he was on a downward spiral, and figured it out! It was an open, honest interview. Would love Billie to come on and provide her perspective!

October 15, 2014 @ 9:08 PM

@rick2

Thanks!

I just wrote Billie an email...

October 15, 2014 @ 9:22 PM

Liz

Wow, Mike. Wow.

That was an incredible interview. The time flew by. In fact, I had a short list of things that needed to be done while I listened - paperwork, emails, lists. NONE of those things got done. I simply had to stop and listen to the whole thing. Compelling. That's the word.

I've never listened to his show but "Mad Dog" is certainly someone who's generous with his time and unbridled in his honesty.

This 'get' of yours speaks to the reputation you've built. Way to go, Mike. Loved the episode.

October 15, 2014 @ 9:47 PM

Jason from Sudbury

I have to admit being a hard rock and heavy metal guy I never knew anything about Mad Dog but he actually seems like a cool and down to earth guy. Really appreciated how honest and open he was.

October 15, 2014 @ 9:49 PM

Thanks Liz and Jason!

Not only had I never met Jay before yesterday, but I've still never heard him on the air. I only know of him from ads and word of mouth. But still, I found the entire conversation was both interesting and effortless.

This was a fun and revealing episode.

October 15, 2014 @ 9:55 PM

Al The Royal Pain

Great podcast! One of your best guests!

October 16, 2014 @ 11:49 AM

Oscar

Any other Toronto radio personalities on-deck for the podcast?

I think Darren Jones would be great.

Also, have you ever thought about inviting fearless fred (even though he 'hates' you)?

October 17, 2014 @ 2:36 PM

@Oscar

This is the toughest part of the podcast. It's tough to find the time to track down guests and get the schedules jived. I need an unpaid intern!

I tweeted at Daryn Jones today. I also wrote an email to Billie Holliday earlier this week.

I have confirmations from Strombo, Ash from USS and D-Sisive. It's tough to get Strombo to commit to a certain day / time, but he tells me he'd love to do the show this fall. Ash is the only guest where I have to go through a PR person, which is frustrating. She's cancelled him twice now.

I had other confirmations from Jim Lang and the 88.1 PD, but I lost interest in tracking them down.

I've had a few polite no's, and a few people have ignored my request altogether. Fearless Fred, for example, ignored my invitation.

At some point I'm hoping celebs will ping me asking to come on. That would make my life much easier.

If you're famous (or semi-famous), write me and let's talk!

October 17, 2014 @ 2:45 PM

Irv

Don't forget the Argie/Irv podcast. We're famous. I got more haters than Billy Talent.

October 17, 2014 @ 3:22 PM

I just chatted with Mike Wilner. He's coming on the show.

October 17, 2014 @ 4:08 PM

Jason from Sudbury

@Toronto Mike: Jim Lang would be cool to have on if you ever decide to track him down.

October 17, 2014 @ 4:23 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Well done Mike. I was curious to hear this interview having read about his personal story about his son in the paper several months ago.

October 19, 2014 @ 1:29 PM

Jon Pole

Nicely done.

Didn't know much about Maddog - as a radio guy - he should be pleased. Radio nerds will love all the behind the scenes stuff.

Tip o' the cap.

JP

October 19, 2014 @ 3:28 PM

Lisa

Just listened to this podcast and it was brilliant...I was curious so decided to listen but once it got going I was glued and could not step away. As I was listening I was messaging friends with the link. So refreshing to listen to such a candid and honest discussion and amazing insight into the Toronto radio scene in an honest respectful manner. As a true cfny spirit of radio girl I am always interested in hearing about Toronto radio stuff. I am not a listener of MadDog but after your interview his honesty and candidness leaves me with so much respect that I am certainly going to tune in and check it out.

October 19, 2014 @ 10:11 PM

Broni

This episode is really great. I downloaded it tonight then went for a run - I normally run for 30 minutes but the interview with Mad Dog was so interesting I kept running for another 20 minutes. Will listen to the rest of it tomorrow.

I love radio and my favourite posts on your blog are the radio ones, so I really enjoyed this one. Mad Dog really came prepared to talk - and Mike, it was obvious you'd done your homework.

I haven't managed to listen to some past episodes yet - Erin Davis being the one I know I must listen to next - so I've got some listening to do.

October 20, 2014 @ 10:43 PM

Jessica Baker

Loved hearing this interview with Jay being the real, true, honest, nice guy that he really is. One of the "better" people in this industry. Such a great guy and happy to call him my friend. Proud of him, his family and all that he has accomplished. Lucky that I get to share the airwaves with him.

October 22, 2014 @ 10:44 AM

Rob MacNamara

Great interview! I've followed Jay since his 'McNeil' days and missed working with him by about 6 months in a small town called Truro, Nova Scotia. I believe that was his first morning show before he went to Breakfast Television, then Q104. I actually played in a charity hockey game with him once. Us Nova Scotia radio guys always claim him (and others) as our own and have pride in the fact that 'one of our own' made the radio 'show'!

Just discovered your podcast and will be stopping by regularly.

November 26, 2014 @ 2:39 PM

Sarah

Great interview. I've been listening to Toronto radio since around the age of 10 or 11 and have listened to Maddog off and on since his debut on Kiss back in the late 90's, along with so many of he other radio hosts mentioned in this interview. I came across this blog after searching for what happened to him now that he's not on Virgin anymore. I miss him. He and Mora were great together and the new show just isn't the same. I'll be sure and listen to the other interviews you've done!

April 21, 2015 @ 4:28 PM

Kel

I found this podcast (my first ever listened to) when I was looking to see what happened to MadDog on Virgin as I listened to him all the time for many years. I loved MadDog's personal stories and jokes. I liked the way he included his listeners into his life and I remember hearing the pain in his voice when he spoke about his son. I liked it when his wife was called and included on the show. (what did he call her? ShareBear?) He brought truth to the radio and I would love to follow him where ever he ends up next! This interview was great too and I like the way it didn't shy away from any difficult topics. I like the way it opened up some of the behind the scenes radio rather than just what comes through my car stereo. I listened to the whole thing and had a hard time getting my tasks completed.

May 29, 2015 @ 2:42 PM