The True Story of How I Left My Bike Unlocked Outside BMO Field

toronto fcThanks to my buddy Elvis, I was able to take my daughter to her first TFC match yesterday. She had a lot of fun, heard a lot of swear words in the Supporter's Section and we both scored free toques.

20141018_134952

We biked to the game, but because I totally screwed up, we ended up at BMO Field with three bike locks and no keys. When I realized this 20 minutes before game time, I felt terrible. What was I going to do with two bikes and nothing to lock them up with?

My first thought was to have a heartfelt chat with a security supervisor. I explained the situation, that it was my daughter's first match and suggested there must be a creative solution. Alas, there was no way I was getting these bikes inside of BMO Field. I was going to have to leave them unlocked outside the facility for the two hour game.

I leaned them right up against the BMO Field fence, with my bike on the inside and Michelle's bike on the outside, and I wrapped my cable around them as if they were locked. Holding the cable together was a stick I found on the grass. Here's a pic of our bikes, from inside BMO Field and outside BMO Field.

20141018_160250_HDR

20141018_160447

The bikes were still there at the end of the 1-1 draw with Montreal and we enjoyed a cool ride home. Bullet dodged and lesson learned.

Rick C in Oakville

Bet you were fretting the whole game. Far enough away from King st, if it was at Lamport stadium it would be gone for sure.

October 19, 2014 @ 1:24 PM

@Rick C in Oakville

I definitely checked to see if it was still there at halftime before buying a $5 slice of pepperoni pizza.

October 19, 2014 @ 1:45 PM

The thing is, I never make this mistake. I actually felt my pocket to make sure I had my keys before leaving but I had the wrong set.

I have two sets that connect. I just brought the wrong half.

October 19, 2014 @ 1:47 PM

Ryan G

When I was doing the whole Backpack Across Europe Thing just after I graduated university, I stopped for a day or two at a small scenic town in Switzerland called Interlaken. It was the stereotypical Swiss village, with chalets and mountains and all the neutrality you could eat.

Anyway, I rented a bike to ride up into the hills, and then headed over to a little supermarket to get some wine and snacks so I could sit atop some mountain and take in the moment and such.

But then I realized that I wasn't given any kind of lock for the bike. What was I to do? Outside the supermarket there were several other bikes, and as I looked closer I noticed none of them were locked up. Just then someone came out and was about to retrieve one of the bikes, so I asked him about it, and he said that my bike would be just fine unlocked, and it was.

Needless to say, the experience was not unlike a pleasant, refreshing injection of decency in the world. Here was common courtesy among our fellow brothers and sisters, implicitly trusting each other.

I managed to steal exactly 14 bicycles those two days I was in Switzerland, which helped fund the rest of my trip across Europe.

----
need more snark? visit me at hobogauntlet.blogspot.ca
----

October 19, 2014 @ 2:21 PM

@Ryan G

I've spent quite a bit of time in Amsterdam the last few years, and I notice many of the bikes unlocked.

But these bikes in Amsterdam were ancient but functional cruisers. Nothing resembling my $500 hybrid was ever unlocked. But hundreds and hundreds of old omafiets were there for the taking!

October 19, 2014 @ 2:27 PM

Argie

@Mike
Just drive next time for effs sakes.

October 19, 2014 @ 6:34 PM

@Argie

No thank you. :)

October 19, 2014 @ 7:10 PM

Broni

I recently reached into the bag on my bike handlebars and discovered that the spare key to my lock had been sitting in there for years.
It felt like a miracle my bike was never stolen in all those years, although I guess it's pretty much the same as leaving a spare house key on your front porch.

October 19, 2014 @ 8:03 PM

Broni

This discussion suddenly reminded me of a time I rode my bike to school in what was probably Grade 7. I left it unlocked, and after school it was gone.
Turned out that a teacher called my Mom to tell her I'd left it unlocked and she told him to hide it on me to teach me a lesson.

I got all the way home, freaking out and my Mom played the "I told you to lock it, now you have to buy yourself a new bike, don't you care about your belongings" card perfectly, before telling me the truth.

Lesson learned!

October 19, 2014 @ 8:08 PM

Rick C in Oakville

@Broni, too funny! Bet you never left it unlocked again.

October 19, 2014 @ 10:03 PM

Rick C in Oakville

@Broni, too funny! Bet you never left it unlocked again.

October 19, 2014 @ 10:03 PM

Liz

We were there yesterday, too! It was COLD.

I think I even learned a few new swears - it's really something else there. Especially against Montreal. I was trying to decipher the chant that had the FLQ and Celine Dion in it.

My son loves TFC - and two tickets fell our way. It was nice to walk there, though.

Nice picture, Mike.

October 19, 2014 @ 10:15 PM

Matt

When did you take that picture? Can't believe how empty it looks.

I know TFC has missed the playoffs yet again but it still looks really empty which is too bad. They had something special the first few years until incompetence ruined it.

October 20, 2014 @ 4:29 PM

@Matt

This was maybe 10 minutes before the game started.

The sparse crowd was for 2 reasons:

1. It was cool and rainy
2. The supporters in this section were pretty ticked at yet another season without making the playoffs.

October 20, 2014 @ 4:33 PM