Who Should I Interview on Toronto Mike'd?

Who Should I Interview on Toronto Mike'd?I've been podcasting since August 2012 and have 85 episodes in the can. Until this year, episodes were me and my friend Rosie shooting the shit about current events and happenings in our lives. That was a lot of fun, but then Rosie got a job a million kilometres away.

In 2014 I started doing two types of episodes:

1. One-on-one interviews with public figures I was interested in
  2. Fun chats about current events and pot pourri with my buddy Elvis

Although there were one-on-one chats with Humble and Fred in 2013, having a famous person join me in my studio is primarily a 2014 thing. So far this year I've spoken with Jonathan Torrens, Todd Shapiro, Alan Cross, Jason Agnew, Jeremy Taggart, Greg Brady, Bingo Bob, Barb DiGiulio, Jim Richards, David Marsden, Neil Morrison, Jeff Marek, Down Goes Brown, and Erin Davis. I've enjoyed each one of them.

I'd like to continue shooting the shit with my buddy Elvis, whenever he can drop by, but I'd like to have more interesting one-on-one convos with public figures of interest to me. Over the next couple of months I will be sitting down with George Stroumboulopoulos, Mark Hebscher, Jim Lang, Raymi the Minx and 88.1 PD Adam Thompson. But who else should I add to that list?

Let me know who I should ask, and bonus points if you know them personally or know someone who knows them and can help broker the deal. And no, I haven't heard back from Maestro yet, but I'm not giving up. If you know him, tell him to do my show!

And if you want to go back and hear these chats, they're all archived here.

Speysidephil

How about Mayor Rob Ford?

July 24, 2014 @ 10:40 AM

@Speysidephil

Can you broker that deal?

July 24, 2014 @ 10:41 AM

@Tbqne

Chris Biggs/Jason barr. There from toronto radio and work together at 9.77 htz

Mark McEwen - toronto chef

July 24, 2014 @ 10:59 AM

Gump

How about Argie. He always has something to say.
The fireworks would be fun to watch (hear).

July 24, 2014 @ 11:01 AM

@Tbqne

It only makes sense to have Jason Barr on now that I've had Todd Shapiro, Humble Howard, Fred Patterson and Bingo Bob Willette.

I'll reach out to him.

July 24, 2014 @ 11:01 AM

Lyle Lanley

Kathryn Humphreys... and she can bring on her husband.

July 24, 2014 @ 11:02 AM

Sam in Pickering

Ron and Don would be great.

Peter Mansbridge, too.

Mike Wilner would also be fun.

July 24, 2014 @ 11:04 AM

Gump

On a more serious note, Richard Florida always has an interesting viewpoint, especially wrt to the changes this city should make to ensure that we continue to be a world class city.
Along the same lines (but from a more pragmatic perspective), Jennifer Keesmaat would be great.

July 24, 2014 @ 11:04 AM

TheSweaterTuck

Dean Blundell. Do it.

July 24, 2014 @ 11:09 AM

Andrew

I'm going to start charging for my appearances...
;)

Cheers,
Andrew

July 24, 2014 @ 11:19 AM

@Andrew

You get name dropped more than any other person in the history of the podcast. Every time a guest compliments the mics or set-up, I sing your praises.

I should start charging you! :)

July 24, 2014 @ 11:23 AM

muzzin

I'll come on - your bill is $10K for my appearance. Yes it needs to be that high so I can put with your left wing, ambushing, messed up thinking, Chow loving ways.

You're welcome.

July 24, 2014 @ 11:40 AM

Andrew

@ Toronto Mike,

Actually, you're right... LOL!! I should start advertising on your podcast for my studio building abilities...hahaha

Cheers,
Andrew

July 24, 2014 @ 11:44 AM

@muzzin

Can I pay you with itex?

July 24, 2014 @ 11:45 AM

mrmojorisinca

David Clarkson or Joffrey Lupol or one of the leafs would be cool..not Dion though not much of interviwer that guy

July 24, 2014 @ 1:46 PM

@mrmojorisinca

If I interview Clarkson, I'll have to make sure Elvis isn't there... I don't want any violence in the studio.

July 24, 2014 @ 1:48 PM

mrmojorisinca

I think having one of the "major leafs" would be a great interview..
although I'm sure you would be given a list of what not to talk about..

July 24, 2014 @ 2:06 PM

Mark H

I think if you can get any of the more serious mayoral candidates (Chow, Tory or Stintz) to do some new media that may be quite interesting.

Although I doubt any of them would allow themselves to get into such an uncontrolled environment.

July 24, 2014 @ 3:39 PM

Corey

Alfie Zappacosta
Freddy Curci
Darien Barry (Jason the Argonaut Mascot)
Christine Magee
Sean Jones
(Hey, Humble and Fred used Frank D'angelo and Russell Oliver as "warm bodies" in the early lean days of their podcast. Take a chapter out of their book and grab those last two!)

July 24, 2014 @ 4:09 PM

Cheryl

How about Bob Seger or John Mellencamp.

July 24, 2014 @ 4:37 PM

Mike from Lowville

How 'bout Scot (Skot) Turner.

July 24, 2014 @ 5:42 PM

markosaar

Fantastic suggestion, Mike from Lowville.

July 24, 2014 @ 5:47 PM

Lorne

Why not just send press interviews to each of the mayoral candidates?

July 24, 2014 @ 6:02 PM

andrew

I think most of your followers & I would love to have you interview the famous Cheryl. Not kidding. Hearing thoughts outside of making comments.

I would even download that podcast.

July 24, 2014 @ 6:10 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Saw your tweet that strombo will be on, Excellent! How about Scott Wilson or Justin Lukach from the Departures series. They had some great adventures from watching their series over the tears.

July 24, 2014 @ 6:30 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Meant years

July 24, 2014 @ 6:30 PM

Glen

I think Cheryl would make a wonderful guest.

Have her bring her John Cougar and Bob Segar cassettes so she can talk about her favorite songs.

@Cheryl

I have "The Lonesome Jubilee" on cassette.

July 24, 2014 @ 6:57 PM

Anonymous

OF COURSE!!! WWW.ITEX.COM I ACCEPT IT LIKE A KID IN A CANDY STORE - I CAN'T GET ENOUGH OF IT!!!

July 24, 2014 @ 7:13 PM

This is pretty cool....

As a result of this entry, Ash from USS wants to come on Toronto Mike'd. Readers of this blog know how big a fan of USS I am.

I might be able to get both guys from USS... their pr person is looking into it for me.

Very cool.

July 24, 2014 @ 7:34 PM

Anonymous

Yes, Ash is cool. That'd be a great get.

I've seen interviews where he just drops random, intense personal shit like it was nothing.

Brendan Shanahan would be interesting. Dubus is the golden boy now, but Shanny has a better bio.

July 24, 2014 @ 8:57 PM

Radio Veteran

This is just an honest opinion Mike but recognize most of your guests came about because of contacts & friends you have in the radio business. It's unprecedented times in radio so guys will take any exposure. 20 years ago a guy like Shapiro would have been scooped up a day after he was let go. Today he's lucky enough to get unpaid exposure on Sirius. Why would you bring Raymi the Minx on your show? She is a talentless hack who made a tiny impact on modern culture by flashing her tits on camera.

I would like to mention one other thing I read too often on this forum. Indie 88 is not the reason for the changes at 102.1. The numbers at 102.1 have been in decline for several years and the station had to remake itself just as it did with Q107, CFOX and Rock 101. Corus' focused on the wall of men and on rock radio. Rock music has been in a state of decline for a decade and Corus was running on fumes. The rebuilding at both stations is not about a reaction to Indie 88; it's about keeping their cluster profitable.

July 25, 2014 @ 9:00 AM

@Radio Veteran

Most of my guests have come on because I asked them.

Some, like Todd Shapiro and Jeff Marek, I met through Humble and Fred.

Others, like Erin Davis and Jonathan Torrens, Mark Hebscher and Jeremy Taggart, I just asked them via Twitter or Email. I didn't name drop anyone else.

Heck, Elvis brought Greg Brady on the show.

And USS contacted me.

Raymi's been blogging longer than I have and I reached out to her for the same reason I reached out to Down Goes Brown. I'm interested in what she's done.

July 25, 2014 @ 9:13 AM

felix

Jim Tatti, Jim Ralph, Andy Frost, or Bob Cole.

July 25, 2014 @ 10:49 PM

@felix

I'd love to interview Bob Cole...

July 25, 2014 @ 10:51 PM

JennB

How about Craig Venn who is now a morning guy at Oshawa's 94.9 The Rock (I think Marsden is here now, isn't he?) He was a CFNY'er and later John Derringer's "lobster boy"who was suddenly fired (I think), landed in Windsor and then recently in Oshawa. Might have some stories to tell. http://www.spiritofradio.ca/Personalities.asp?Show=Venn%2C+Craig

Billie Holiday has done Humble and Fred but still seems reluctant to talk too much about what happened with Dean Blundell.

There's also this interesting appearance of Kim Clarke Champniss (formerly of MUCH) appearing on 102.1 last Sunday and tomorrow.

July 26, 2014 @ 1:56 PM

Roshan

From the Toronto food scene - Jen who owns Black Hoof and a couple of other places.
Musicians - could you get rhumba/flamenco guitarists Jesse Cook and Johannes Lindsted?
Former & current hockey players?

July 27, 2014 @ 5:26 AM