Tuesday Open Mike

Open MikeWelcome to this week's Tuesday Open Mike. I'm Mike and I'll be your master of ceremonies for the day.

Open Mike on Toronto Mike

this guest

Not sure I believe the poll showing Tory in front of Chow for the mayor's race.
For the simple reason that I don't believe Soknacki is at 1% when he was at
6% the other day.
I still maintain Soknacki will be at 10% by Labour Day creating an entire new
dynamic for this race.

Ford of course is toast. Flavourless, white bread toast balanced on Doug Ford's head.

July 8, 2014 @ 8:50 AM

Argie

Judging by recent polls, it looks like John Tory will be Toronto's next mayor. I suppose this was caused by some of Chow supporters jumping ship after coming to the realization that she would be a disaster as mayor. Obviously, there are also some Ford supporters who understandably have jumped ship over Ford's personal issues.

What we're left with is Tory - a fiscally conservative, socially liberal politician. While on paper, Tory seems like the logical (and only) choice, I fear he'll cave when pressed by the many left leaning councillors on issues effecting finances of the city (i.e. grants for every hair brain arts project). No, he wont be as bad as Miller but then again, who could?

July 8, 2014 @ 8:52 AM

@this guest

Polls are pretty useless at the best of times, but this far out they're best completely ignored.

Soknacki very well may be the best person for the job but he's far too unknown and too uninteresting to the masses to make a dent. I doubt he gets 10% on election day. I don't think he'll beat Stintz.

July 8, 2014 @ 8:53 AM

Argie

David Soknacki, the guy who worked under the aforementioned David Miller is a non-factor now and will continue to be a non-factor.

July 8, 2014 @ 8:56 AM

Corey

Weren't the pollsters saying Hudak and Wynne were neck and neck in the days leading up to the election?

July 8, 2014 @ 9:02 AM

this guest

okay Mike let's see by Labour Day how high Soknacki has climbed in the polls. :- )

But you're right, polls at this point are very blurry.

July 8, 2014 @ 9:02 AM

McNulty

The polls are a waste of time right now.
Unless you pay a great deal of money and use different techniques you'll never get an accurate result in today's world. Look how bad the last Ipsos poll was. They had the NDP as the second choice. And Hudak winning. That was so far from the real thing that in any other world Ipsos wouldn't be taken seriously again.

So the polls are farcical.

Ford polling at 20% is a joke too. Wait for Election Day and see the real numbers. Ford won't get more than 10%. But the polls can't capture that.

July 8, 2014 @ 9:06 AM

Anonymous

@ Argie:

"...What the city needs is a politician similar to Ford, with his policies, with his stubbornness to cave, his resolve but also without his many personal issues. Unfortunately that dude doesn't exist - anywhere!"

Be open to this possibility Argie. And perhaps visit small towns in Mississippi.
I'm sure you'll find little bitty 'Boss Hawgs' all over.

July 8, 2014 @ 9:07 AM

this guest

boss hawg/ anonymous was me. forgot to 'sign in.'

July 8, 2014 @ 9:08 AM

Philly-Bob

@ this guest - but Argie is right. The issues have never been Fords policies, but his behaviour and substance abuse. You don't have to be a "Boss Hawg" to want unions put in line, and council spending reduced.

I think Tory is the best choice, fiscal conservative and social liberal. We can watch our dollars without gutting all social services....lets start by wage freezing all public jobs until the books are balanced...and I'd like to see that at all 3 levels of government.

July 8, 2014 @ 9:45 AM

this guest

Actually Philly-Bob it's been about Ford's policies all along.

That's why the other candidates for the mayor's job are running against his record
not his personal life.

July 8, 2014 @ 9:51 AM

this guest

The image I'll never get out of my head is
Doug and Rob lording it over young people
begging for their libraries at 2 in the morning.
Spoiled illiterates who inherited everything they have.

So glad their day is done and now
to not think about
them for one second further
on this glorious summer day.

July 8, 2014 @ 10:03 AM

@this guest
For you and a few others, its his policies. For most voters (with some common sense), Ford is right on his policies, but terrible at managing his life.

July 8, 2014 @ 10:03 AM

Philly-Bob

@ this guest - you misunderstand me. I agreed with Rob Ford on paper. I agreed with what he said he wanted to do, not what he actually did.

Rob Ford is a spoiled little silver spoon buffoon. But I feel we as a city/province/country need someone who will stand up and say:

"We just don't have the money. We have to fix the budget before we can worry about anything else"

And yes..a good place to start is the 6 figure incomes and retirement packages for said politicians. Getting into politics is supposed to be about public service, not how many tax dollars you can give to your friends (cough..cough..Liberal Party of Canada)

July 8, 2014 @ 10:09 AM

Philly-Bob

Oh, and this guest - how many people still use libraries? I'm not saying get rid of all of them, far from it, but the days of needing one ever 4 blocks or so is long gone. Most children use their school libraries and the internet....

July 8, 2014 @ 10:11 AM

Ryan G

Well I've made comments here in the past about the stereotypical douchebaggery I've witnessed from dudes in higher end cars, but I always make sure not to pre-judge, because that would be wrong.

On Sunday I took a fantastic bike ride out to the furthest point of the Leslie Spit. (by the way, on the wall of the lighthouse out there, Jared scribbled that he got his very first blowjob there on June 26 in case any of you were interested)

On my way back, I'm at a stoplight near Cherry Street, which leads to the Docks and that new "dayclub" you might have seen ads for. Up pulls a beautiful Mazerotti, and within, two guys with the exact same bootstrap beard. Hmm, I think. Those guys really look like greaseballs, and most certainly they're off to that cheeseball dayclub.

But, I still think that maybe it's wrong for me to come to that conclusion. After all, they don't have terrible techno pumping out of the car. But then, just as the light turns green, I notice the guy in the passenger side takes a swig of, what else, a can of red bull. He then proceeds to fling out said empty can to the street in front of me and a few others on bikes waiting at the light with utter and complete disregard.

So it just goes to show you: where there's smoke, there's fire.

July 8, 2014 @ 10:14 AM

Philly-Bob

@ Ryan - it isn't a stereotype if it's proven true every damn time.

....and they were absolutely headed to the dayclub...then it's off for some GTL.....

July 8, 2014 @ 10:17 AM

@Phil
This guest didn't misunderstand you. He's against any restraints on spending. He wants the govt (taxpayers) to fund every little pet project he and his Riverdale/Cabbagtown friends want.

And why not, they've had mayors and premiers fund their nonsense for decades. This is why the city and province are in such dire financial shape.

July 8, 2014 @ 10:18 AM

Ryan G

Philly Bob, what's GTL?

Also, I think tim horton's new "café" design and starubcks and such are the new libraries. A slightly bothersome trend I've seen quite a lot of recently is people sleeping in those plush chairs. And yesterday I saw a dude who figured it was ok to sit there in his nasty bare feet and put them up on the little shared table amongst 3 other strangers. What the hell?

July 8, 2014 @ 10:22 AM

Philly-Bob

@ Argie - c'mon man...you made a valid point and I'm trying to side with you here...can you leave the douchey generalizations at the door...I'm sure this guest isn't really that bad...

@ this guest - maybe there would be money for some of these pet projects if the Libs hadn't stolen...er..mismanaged... billions of tax dollars....can you at least acknowledge that those people stole from us.

I'm not saying you have to say Hudak would have been better. But can you step away from the left for one second and be objective...they did steal from us and that hurt this province.

July 8, 2014 @ 10:26 AM

Philly-Bob

@ Ryan - its a term from that stupid Jersey Shore, it stands for Gym, Tan, Laundry. As in that's the only thing they need to worry about before hitting the club...

July 8, 2014 @ 10:27 AM

this guest

Alan Watts has an interesting view of The Great Depression.
He says the financial argument was like this:
An architect comes to work one day
and his boss says Sorry we can't build anything new.
We've run out of inches.
The architect says what?
The boss says no more inches. The inches are gone.
Sorry. We'll have to let you go.

July 8, 2014 @ 10:30 AM

Philly-Bob

@ this guest - dodge questions much?

July 8, 2014 @ 10:32 AM

@Phil
I wasn't being as you stated "douchy." I'm just giving the facts.

I'm sure this guest is a nice, decent person. I just disagree with him on everything.

July 8, 2014 @ 10:39 AM

this guest

Philly - Bob just trying to come at something from a new angle
instead of repeating cliche (my own) arguments.

July 8, 2014 @ 10:41 AM

James Edgar

I STILL have nothing interesting to say about politics and the douches who are politicians.

Regarding Douches in high end cars and trucks? I could write a novel...BTW by high end I mean cars and trucks with 4 wheels and associated parts.

I see so many asses on the road daily doing douchy stuff it amazes me.
So while seeing Maserati on the back of a car is kind of the equivalent of a baby on board sign for assholes, Trust me that they are everywhere. Sadly as much as i'd love to pretend they aren't they are on two wheels too.

July 8, 2014 @ 10:43 AM

@ this guest - Okay..I'm flat out asking you:

Did the Liberals Steal form us or not? And if your answer is no, then how don you explain ORNGE and the Gas Plants?

July 8, 2014 @ 10:48 AM

this guest

I can't recall ever speaking in favour of the Ontario Liberals on this forum.

I might have said I thought Wynne would run a tighter ship and keep
an eye out for nonsense.

I'm pretty sure I once suggested the prevailing notion that sociopaths
and psychopaths rise to the top in politics and corporations.

July 8, 2014 @ 10:51 AM

this guest

I think I said I thought Wynne was a decent person.

I've never offered an opinion on Gas Plants or ORNGE.

That guy who ran ORNGE seemed like a piece of work.

July 8, 2014 @ 10:55 AM

okay.
my input on this thread so far far outweighs any value I add.
time to vamoose.

Alan Watts has interesting views of 'reality.'

July 8, 2014 @ 10:58 AM

Jason from Sudbury

Q107 still sucks even though they supposedly added the newer stuff.

July 8, 2014 @ 11:24 AM

Cheryl

I don't know who I'm voting for. I don't want Ford. I know that. My trainer doesn't know any of them so can't really ask him. He doesn't live here, he only works here. Anyway, two months from today and my Cardinals start. Then October 8, Habs at Leafs. Subban and Pacioretty will score lots. Sure wish Briere was still around though. I sure hope my trainer's wife wins this weekend. It's not good being 3 and 4. It's not good they lost the last two soccer games. I sure hope they find a way to win the cup.

July 8, 2014 @ 11:25 AM

I was on the Todd Shapiro Show yesterday talking about my Martin Streek special.

I'll share the audio in a bit.

July 8, 2014 @ 11:27 AM

Argie

The World Cup wraps up this Sunday and the British Open is next week so it seems after that, there isn't more in the way of sports for me. I might as well cancel my cable.

Sure, I'm a Leaf fan but nothing Shanahan has done has given me any hope this team might make the playoffs. He's kept the coach, the GM and the captain. To me, firing and trading away those 3 would have been a start.

I realize his hands are tied to a certain extent but Linden in Vancouver at least has made some changes which give Canuck fans some hope. Here, there's no hope.

The team actually seems weaker than the one that finished up the season. We all know how bad that team was. I hope Shanahan proves me wrong but I really doubt it.

July 8, 2014 @ 11:50 AM

Corey

Does this Open Mike hold the record for most instances of "douche" and it's variants?

July 8, 2014 @ 12:39 PM

4x4 Time

I was having some red tape issues, nothing serious just frustrating with the Ontario Government relating to our business and decided to call my new Burlington MPP (Liberal, who I did not support) to see if she could provide any assistance or point me in the right direction to get some resolution.

I called her office Monday morning. By noon I received a call back from an assistant, explained my problem, and she said she would get back to as soon as she could. The call came back at 4:00p yesterday, and I was given some excellent and time saving advice on how to resolve our issue which we executed this morning and things are now in motion.

10 minutes ago I got a call back from her office, asking me if I needed any further assistance.

Very impressed with the service and response, and I will write her and let her know with thanks. Well done.

July 8, 2014 @ 12:41 PM

Here's the audio of me on Todd Shapiro's show talking about Martin Streek:

July 8, 2014 @ 12:42 PM

mrmojorisinca

Argentina to win the world cup..that my guess..Or Germany.

July 8, 2014 @ 12:50 PM

@Argie

Yes, you could argue this team is worse than our last season's team, simply because all moves were lateral except losing David Bolland. In theory, we're a better team with Bolland than without him.

I believe Shanny kept the coach and GM to buy time, and I predict both are gone by the end of the season.

July 8, 2014 @ 12:53 PM

Liz

@Mike

Nice interview with Todd - well done.

July 8, 2014 @ 1:18 PM

Glen

Why aren't there No Name® or Presidents Choice bathroom paper cups?

No Frills basically has every other store brand item on it's shelves including No Name® BBQ charcoal and Presidents Choice AA batteries but no bathroom paper cups.

Any theories?

July 8, 2014 @ 3:48 PM

Lorne

@Glen because bathroom paper cups are, obviously, a Frill.

July 8, 2014 @ 4:00 PM

4x4 Time

@Glen - Not sure, but probably because the category is not big enough to support importing them from China under private label and North America producers will not supply in Private Label.

July 8, 2014 @ 4:37 PM

Anonymous

Sideshow Rob is not an urban planner or a traffic specialist. Sideshow Rob
can only bellow about what he's against. There is no vision for a great city. No
ideas about what makes a city great. Such an absolute doofus.

July 8, 2014 @ 7:32 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Have been hearing all day on the news that the Liberals will push to close off the Gas Plant commission.
Wonder what other embarrassing things they will try to bury.
My daughter over dinner always kids me that my generation (tail end of the baby boomers) that we have spent her future in government debt. Can't argue that with her, given the proclamations on future spending the Ontario Liberals are promising.

July 8, 2014 @ 8:06 PM

markosaar

@Ryan G,

Wonder if our paths crossed. We had a picnic out there during the afternoon, sitting on some discarded utility poles near the lighthouse.

July 8, 2014 @ 11:38 PM

Anonymous

Mayor Rob Ford pushed and scuffled with fellow rehab residents and was so verbally abusive that he was kicked out of his group therapy program, according to people who have knowledge of his two month stay at GreeneStone .

These accounts of what one person referred to as “destructive behaviour” stands in stark contrast to Ford’s recent public statements that he had a healthy experience and takes his recovery seriously.

“Ford broke things, got into fights with other residents,” said one source with knowledge of the mayor’s time in rehab at the resort-turned-drug and alcohol rehabilitation facility in Muskoka.

“Ford stopped people from sharing their stories, which is key to a successful rehab experience,” said another source. “Other residents felt intimidated. They felt he was a bully. He was always saying he did not belong there.”

July 9, 2014 @ 12:23 AM

Eekan Boo

Re: anonymous's claims of Ford at rehab, unidentified sources are not credible sources.
I'm inclined to believe these reports because of his history, but, to be fair, we need on the record statements. Also, these are second hand accounts posted by an "anonymous" poster. Why don't you identify yourself?

July 9, 2014 @ 12:45 AM

Argie

I heard Ford wasted billions on a gas plant closure, ORNGE and e-health. He also destroyed evidence of the cover-up of said gas plant closure Oh wait, that wasn't him - that was the Liberal govt. Nevermind.

Regards,
Clueless Anonymous poster

July 9, 2014 @ 8:08 AM

Philly-Bob

@ Eekan Boo - Cause he's a coward...every once and a while he'll put the name Bob-Philly, trying to get under my skin. Mostly you should just ignore him.

July 9, 2014 @ 8:31 AM

Ryan G

Markosaar.

Yes I saw your picnickery, and while you were both looking the other way I helped myself to some devilled eggs. Delish!

July 9, 2014 @ 9:06 AM

Bob-Philly

Oh Philly-Bob. Firstly anonymous above was not me. What he/she wrote isn't even close to my writing style.

Second I and anonymous are a coward for not putting our real names? Is Argie is his realname is philly bob yours? Is Eekan Boo? 4x4? McNulty? Half the people that post on Toronto Mike use monikers that don't give away their true identity. Are they all cowards?

Anonymous is just quoting the star article from yesterday. The problem with Ford is he is now the boy who cried wolf. He's lied too many times no one believes him. Time and again we have learned that when there is smoke there's fire with regards to Rob and his actions. Chances are it's true.

Lastly I'd rather be coward in your mind than an on again off again sycophant with Argie, or a poster that demands resolution every time he gets into an argument on here.

To you I bid good day.

P.S Again Anonymous WAS NOT me

July 9, 2014 @ 9:29 AM

I just read a rant by Rob Ford about Sugar Beach and then saw he asked where it was.

It takes a serious idiot to go to the press about hatred for a destination they've never been, especially when they're the damn mayor.

Every day I read another idiotic quote from this man and his brother. This man lacks vision, consensus building skills, compromise, and intelligence. He's not fit to run a small town of 12,000 let alone the largest city in Canada.

July 9, 2014 @ 10:12 AM

Broni

I love the irony of a poster named Eakan Boo complaining that someone posted anonymously.

July 9, 2014 @ 10:12 AM

Nigel Trousershrapnel

Bob Philly,
I can see your point. Writing styles are completely different. It's like comparing a grade one scholar's work to that of a sixth grader.
And as far as the monikers are concerned, it would be helpful if we could tell which dimwitted anonymous we're dealing with in order to provide the response at the appropriate level of comprehension.
Oops. Sorry, comprehension means understanding.

July 9, 2014 @ 10:15 AM

Philly-Bob

@ Nigel - Clap..clap..clap...love it!

July 9, 2014 @ 10:21 AM

Bob-Philly

Intelligent response Philly-bob. You can add being Nigel's sycophant to the list now. Please use an LMFAO and perhaps ROFL to go with those claps. Mike should enable emoticons to so you can tag your name with them.

I think we all forget how much of a genius Nigel is and how much better he makes our lives with his intelligence lorded over the community of Toronto Mike. He is so much more enlightened than any of us could ever strive to be.

Does it hurt to know you are a giant among men when it comes to intelligence? Perhaps Philly can stroke your ego when he's done clapping.

July 9, 2014 @ 10:27 AM

Philly-Bob

@ Anon - You really are an idiot. Nigel and I disagree more often than not.....go back and check. However it is cleat we can both agree on the fact that you operate on a 6th grade level (or what he the 1st grader Nigel?)

July 9, 2014 @ 10:31 AM

Bob-Philly

@Philly: You Might want to check what grade level you operate at after that last post.

July 9, 2014 @ 10:38 AM

Nigel Trousershrapnel

Bob-Philly,
I try to stay humble, but it's nice that someone with your obvious limitations can recognize my genius. I try not to lord it over the Toronto Mike community too much but it does tend to pop up every once and a while. My bad.
But it does come with it's limitations.

Why would it hurt to know that I am I giant among men when it comes to intelligence? Do tell?

July 9, 2014 @ 10:44 AM

this guest

Yesterday Argie made wild assumptions about who my friends were & what 'we' advocated, etc...concerning the 'arts.' This thought (below) may be helpful in thinking about art. No need to comment. In fact it might be worth reading twice and thinking about reflectively instead of hitting the 'post' button.

Like other tools, art has the power to extend our capacities beyond those that nature has originally endowed us with. Art compensates us for certain inborn weaknesses, in this case of the mind rather than the body, weaknesses that we can refer to as psychological frailties.

Alain de Botton

July 9, 2014 @ 10:46 AM

this guest

"I hate everything about Sugar Beach. Where is it again?"

Mayor Rageaholic

July 9, 2014 @ 10:57 AM

this guest

"Sugar Beach resides in every heart that does not caress my golden, sculpted Aryan visage."

D. Ford, Asst.Mayor, Rageville

July 9, 2014 @ 11:00 AM

Continued support of Rob Ford can best be explained by the crazification factor: http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Crazification_factor

Crazification factor is a neologism coined by blogger John Rogers to refer to the portion of the electorate comprising the nuttiest of the wingnuts and the batshit crazy. The original passage relates to the 2004 Senate election in Illinois, and reads:

Obama vs. Alan Keyes. Keyes was from out of state, so you can eliminate any established political base; both candidates were black, so you can factor out racism; and Keyes was plainly, obviously, completely crazy. Batshit crazy. Head-trauma crazy. But 27% of the population of Illinois voted for him. They put party identification, personal prejudice, whatever ahead of rational judgement. Hell, even like 5% of Democrats voted for him. That's crazy behaviour. I think you have to assume a 27% crazification factor in any population.

This explains Rob Ford's 20-25% support. It's the nuttiest of the wingnuts and batshit crazy.

July 9, 2014 @ 11:14 AM

Philly-Bob

@ this guest - as a musician, I agree with your post 100%. Art in any form is a beautiful thing that enriches lives.

But, I'd like to see debt at all 3 levels of Government reduced to an acceptable level before we patron the arts. For me it's akin to Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs. Being a patron of the arts would be nice...reducing our debt is a necessity.

@ Bob-Phill (aka the guy who wishes he was me) - Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs is a complex social/psychological theory put forth by Abraham Maslow in 1943. In 1st grader terms it means you must focus on what you need before you can focus on what you want. (I.E. A man with no food doesn't care about having a car because he should be more concerned about food)

July 9, 2014 @ 11:15 AM

Cheryl

So Ford wasn't good in rehab and got kicked out. Well, who cares. I am not voting for Ford. I want Ford gone. I don't know who I will vote for, but it won't be Ford and it won't be Chow either because she is too NDP. Anyway, I got more junk from Rogers again. I wish Rogers would die, go out of business. They waste paper by sending all this junk mail. I don't want Rogers internet service. Anyway, let's all boycott Rogers so they go out of business and then everyone can get Primus. Try Primus out and you'll like it. There is no better internet service than Primus.

July 9, 2014 @ 11:16 AM

@this guest
I'm with you, art is wonderful. Something that should be a part of all of our lives.

Fortunately for me, I have no inborn weaknesses or psychological frailties... :)

July 9, 2014 @ 11:16 AM

Philly-Bob

@ Mike - That's great...and really does explain nicely how Rob Ford has any support at all...

July 9, 2014 @ 11:16 AM

this guest

We could shut down government funding of cultural events as well as Toronto tourism offices and save a ton of money.

Maybe instead recreate Etobicoke gas station washrooms across the city and have hourly viewings of 'package drops.'

That would pack them in.

July 9, 2014 @ 11:22 AM

@Mike
So you believe if a person votes for Ford, they must be "batshit"(overused, trendy word of the month BTW) crazy.

Typical arrogance among the left.

July 9, 2014 @ 11:22 AM

this guest

Holy smokes Argie agrees with me on something as well as Philly Bob.

Ultimately of course we're all in this together.
have a good day everybody.

July 9, 2014 @ 11:24 AM

@Argie

In 2010, I could see how the non-crazy could vote for Ford. I totally understand and see how he won. Someone I know and love even voted for him.

In 2014, I believe you'd have to either be crazy or one who enjoys the chaos and "getting the elites". I don't believe a reasonable person would think Rob Ford is fit to run the city of Toronto.

July 9, 2014 @ 11:26 AM

Philly-Bob

@ this guest - yes...yes we could. These cultural groups could run fund raisers themselves to reduce the amount of government assistance they need.

Can you not see that we as a country our bankrupting ourselves? Something has to be done, we're like the family that pays for vacation on a credit card that they have no hope of paying off...we just keep digging ourselves deeper.

What happens when we end up like Greece and can't even pay our seniors their retirement benefits. I have no idea how close to retirement you are, but when that day comes for you and there's no money...will you be able to buy food or medicine with the arts?

July 9, 2014 @ 11:27 AM

Philly-Bob

@ Argie- I think you can concede that I'm not a leftie.

Anyone who votes for Ford is Bat-Shit Crazy

...this has been a message from the centre.

July 9, 2014 @ 11:28 AM

Corey

How to get Open Mikes back to their 100+ comment count: Politics, especially Rob Ford.

July 9, 2014 @ 11:38 AM

Bob-Philly

@Philly-Bob: I'm not even remotely sure what point you are trying to make? Did you just toss that up there because you have a degree in pyschology/sociology? Have you suddenly come to the the realization that many others do. That the degree might as well be toilet paper to wipe your bum with? Have you been waiting all these years just to randomly type out that nonsensical statement? What was it referring to? How does it relate in 1st grader terms of my apparent proficiency at the English language? I'm lost. I need more of the .... you are so prone to using in order to understand you better. CLAP CLAP CLAP might even help

I'm surprised really. How do you have time to post here as frequently as you do? Especially when you work so much harder than all those union types? Based on your recent diatribes of how dedicated and self made you are, one would think you would not have time to be on a blog such as this all the time.

As for wanting to be you, I'm pretty sure that couldn't be further from the truth.

July 9, 2014 @ 11:39 AM

@Phil & Mike
OK, I retract the part about it be only from the left. However, I still believe its arrogant to judge how a person casts their vote.

What if Ford solved his personal issues and came clean about why the Police are investigating him? Could be not be a viable candidate?

July 9, 2014 @ 11:39 AM

@Argie

There will always be an outlier or two.

July 9, 2014 @ 11:41 AM

Ben Vidal

@ Argie: Ford is no longer a viable candidate period. I hope he solves his person issues, especially for his family. He's a tried, tested and true liar(oxymoron). Who often spouts off about things he hasn't read or seen. He should bow out and be thankful for the term he had. At this point it's that bullish behavior that says I don't care what people think. I'll spit in their face and do what I want to do anyways. I also think this constant circus surrounding him will never allow him to truly do his job properly.

July 9, 2014 @ 11:46 AM

@Ben
I hear ya but I base my opinion as a "viable candidate" relative to his opponents.

BTW, how was Brazil?

July 9, 2014 @ 12:03 PM

4x4 Time

How does Mr. Ford measure up?

LINK

July 9, 2014 @ 12:36 PM

Liz

@Mike

Really looking forward to hearing your conversation with Erin Davis.

Another nice 'get' for the Toronto Mike'd roster.

July 9, 2014 @ 1:46 PM

this guest

Greece is in the situation it's in for complex reasons. One is called Germany.

and in terms of cultural organizations raising funds: there is that old joke about
the military holding bake sales to buy weapons.

July 9, 2014 @ 7:03 PM

this guest

Norm Kelly gave Rob a bit of lecture about Sugar Beach when he talked about the financial benefits of tourism to the city and having a beautiful city shown in brochures attracting those tourists.

Rob has a very impoverished grasp of urban life. He can't run a modern city.

But he can sure use the mayor's office to shovel contracts to people doing business with Deco Labels (if certain reports can be believed).

But those reports may be untrue. Just as there was no truth to the story of a video.

July 9, 2014 @ 7:17 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Going to distract from the Ford talk and mention some good news. My 24 year old niece was discovered to have a Non Hodgkins Lymphoma cancer lump on her neck about 2.5 months ago. She just under went her last Chemo treatment, and to celebrate at Princess Margaret, they let you ring a bell to signify this event. She still has to do radiation but judging from the scans she should be free and clear in about 6-8 weeks after the radiation. Awesome family news for us!

July 9, 2014 @ 8:10 PM

twins from bolton

@ this guest

I've worked in the printing industry for over 30 years.

My company uses Deco Labels for small jobs which we can't compete & sell to our customers with their prices.

We were told earlier this week that Deco Label & Tags (a Ford Co.)is no longer to be used or consulted for pricing.

Such a shame (NOT)as I always loved see Randy Ford showing up in his Cowboy hat & demanding our receptionist to see people with issues. A complete AHole just like his brothers.

I can see Rob & Doug running their Co. into the ground after Oct. 27th - election day as they both won't have a job. Randy is a head case.

July 9, 2014 @ 8:31 PM

Liz

@My Friend Rick C In Oakville

Oh. my word. I burst into tears at your happy news - on the heels of receiving some other not so fine news. Fact! Good trumps less than good every single time. So pleased for you and your family, Rick. You're a wonderful man who loves people and we're happy to hear about this particular sweet pea.

July 9, 2014 @ 11:27 PM

@Rick C in Oakville

Great news.

July 9, 2014 @ 11:29 PM

@ twins from Bolton

Randy, complete with cowboy headgear, striding into an office...reminds me of
the theme song from the western TV show Paladin..."A knight without armour in a savage land..."

30 years in the publishing industry. You must have seen a lot of changes in the
technology.
I still have an old issue of a magazine/journal put out by the American Typographer's Union. Very impressively designed and of course printed.

I saved it because there is a poem with a photo of a child labourer in a factory standing on a box at a window with the caption 'On a nice day she can see the men at play.' (golf or 'links' as it was known then)

There was a famous photographer whose name escapes me, under the guise of being an insurance investigator, photographed mills and factories with child labour documenting their working conditions.

July 10, 2014 @ 8:17 AM

Cheryl

Well, one year away from Panams games. I'm not looking forward to it, believe me. Well, good thing I work at home, but traffic will probably be a mess everywhere. Grocery Gateway will have a hard time getting to me. Actually they have been pretty good lately, but during that time, who knows. There are venues everywhere. Wish they would just cancel it. It's not only in Toronto, but some other cities.

July 10, 2014 @ 8:31 AM

Philly-Bob

@ Rick C - Great News Man...just Great!!!

July 10, 2014 @ 8:37 AM

James Edgar

@ Rick C fantastic News thanks for sharing!

July 10, 2014 @ 9:17 AM

@ Rick C
24 is a great age to get good news and great for the whole family.
Thank you for sharing this.

July 10, 2014 @ 10:31 AM

this guest

Cheryl, Don't worry, they will probably take this all into consideration
and hire extra drivers. Perhaps you can call them with your concern?

July 10, 2014 @ 10:33 AM

Argie

While some people in this city cry over Rob Ford's recent antics (OMG, he didn't stand and applause during the World "Pride" ovation/tribute at City Hall) and his alleged behavior at re-hab, my concern is over the Pan Am games.

With one year to go until they begin, the liberal elites are trying desperately to sell us this "dogs with fleas" - to borrow an old expression. Thanks to David Miller and Dalton McSleazy, this waste of taxpayers money which was supposed to cost around a billion has already reached 2.5 bil and is currently rising with a bullet. The other slight problem the organizers have is that the vast majority of citizens know very little about these games and care even less.

When all is said and done, the city, the province and country will be stuck with a bill of well over 3 billion - to go along with a bunch of white elephant faculties.

July 10, 2014 @ 11:41 AM

Corey

@Argie -

The headline in The Star today: "Toronto Pan Am Games countdown begins, but where’s the buzz?" Uh, what? Has there ever been a "buzz" for any PanAm games ever? I guess if this lame event is what it takes to get the idiots at City Hall to finally move on infrastructure improvements, it's not a total loss.

July 10, 2014 @ 2:56 PM

Corey

@Argie -

July 10, 2014 @ 2:56 PM

I don't get excited about Pan Am Games, but when Usain Bolt is running the 100m dash in Toronto, I'll be watching.

So I'll be into it for less than 10 seconds.

July 10, 2014 @ 2:59 PM

2 minutes after I wrote that comment about Bolt, I read this: http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/panamgames/2014/07/10/usain_bolt_at_the_pan_am_games_its_unlikely.html

My interest in the Pan Am games is back to nil.

July 10, 2014 @ 3:14 PM

@Corey
Infrastructure improvements are great - but we shouldn't need an event that no one cares about as an excuse to go ahead with them.

July 10, 2014 @ 4:12 PM

Corey

@Argie -

Agreed.

July 10, 2014 @ 4:19 PM

this guest

I see the fed. govt invested 500 million in these games.
They must think something good is going to come out of it.
Maybe they're going to run pipelines through the white elephant 'facilities' later.

July 10, 2014 @ 6:44 PM

this guest

Picked up this tweet when running through daily news.

Rob Ford is the only vote against investigating strategies for gay homelessness. 21% of homeless youth are on the street because they're gay

"I have a disease I was born with."

No shit.

July 10, 2014 @ 6:58 PM

this guest

Meaning: the disease Rob Ford was born with is the disease of a petty, rancid heart above all else.

July 10, 2014 @ 7:23 PM

Philly-Bob

@this guest - then we need to get all the who's down in whoville to sing and the grich's heart will grow 10 sizes...:)

July 11, 2014 @ 9:34 AM

this guest

Cool reference Philly- Bob...:-)

July 11, 2014 @ 9:49 AM

Cheryl

Well, also how will my trainer get here. That is if he is still going to commute to Toronto next year. Who knows. Anyway, traffic is going to be a mess. It will be hell and it's a waste of Money. I didn't like David Miller either. Mel Lastman was the best mayor we ever had. I am not looking forward to Pan Am games one bit.

July 11, 2014 @ 11:17 AM