Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 82: Martin Streek

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 82In this 82nd episode, Mike chats with Alan Cross, David Marsden, Brother Bill, Todd Shapiro, LoriAnn, Fred Patterson and others about the life and death of Martin Streek on the 5th anniversary of his death. This episode is exactly 1:56:33.

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Other relevant links:

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd at http://www.torontomike.com/podcast/.

Martin Streek

Sam in Pickering

Heard it on iTunes last night. Brilliant.

Thank you for doing this.

I can't believe it's been 5 years...

July 2, 2014 @ 9:00 AM

Andrew

Mike,

This is your best podcast so far hands down-even better then when I'm on. I have to admit I got a little emotional listening to everyone talk about Martin and it was such a privilege for me to have known him and got to work with him.

I still can't believe it's been 5 years. It seems like only yesterday. I know when I started to get people asking me about what had happened and I had no idea. I emailed Rob Johnston and Alan Cross and both got back to me with the news. The first person I called was my brother who had worked at CFNY as a sales guy in the early to mid 90's and sold spots for Martin to voice or work at. He was just as upset as I was and hearing Phil, Neil, Rob and Dave Marsden talk about that time brought all those memories and feelings back.

I think you did his memory justice and if anyone has not listened to Dave's 5 hour tribute or Rob's excellent 3 hour tribute I highly recommend that you do.

Thank you for doing this. Excellent job.

Cheers,
Andrew

July 2, 2014 @ 9:06 AM

Whilst

Excellent doc. Thanks for doing this.

The Marsden chat was fascinating. I could have listened to that for another hour or two.

Cross saying he flat out refused to fire Martin Streek twice speaks volumes. And Fred Patterson disclosing what Martin said to him after he was fired by 102.1 is very interesting.

How did you get these people and did anyone say no to you?

July 2, 2014 @ 10:34 AM

@Andrew

Technically, you are on this episode.

@Whilst

Originally, I was just going to use excerpts from previous episodes of my podcast. That's where you hear:

Alan Cross
Todd Shapiro
Fred Patterson
Andrew Stoakley
Bingo Bob Willette
Mike Wixson / Mike Atom

Then, I started reaching out to others. That's how you hear:

David Marsden
Neil "Brother Bill" Morrison
Rob Johnston
Captain Phil Evans
LoriAnn

I tried very hard to get Ivar Hamilton to chat with me, but tweets and emails went unanswered. I had my pal Jeff Marek try and get Strombo, but he's spending the summer in California and we never connected on this. I also got a very polite "no thank you" from Dave Bookman.

July 2, 2014 @ 10:43 AM

Ryan G

Nice work Mike.

I had thought I read somewhere the Edge was doing another tribute show to Streek, or perhaps were they just repeating the first one.

July 2, 2014 @ 11:05 AM

@Ryan G

Rob Johnston, who helped put the initial tribute together and is still working for Corus, didn't mention anything about a new one, so I'd bet that's not happening.

July 2, 2014 @ 11:07 AM

Mike in Guelph

Thanks so much for putting this together.
It's great to listen to and remember.
Martin Streek was such a huge part of musical youth. I loved listening to the live to airs for all of my new music and the Sunday night retro live to air to learn about so many new bands. All of which I still listen to today, in large part, because of him.

Hearing his familiar voice on air was something I always looked forward to and any of his musical knowledge you knew, and felt, you could trust.

I'm glad you added in the links for the tribute shows as well. I'm going to listen to those again now.

Thanks again for this Mike

July 2, 2014 @ 11:24 AM

Andrew

@ Toronto Mike

I know I was technically in the episode, but my time at 'NY as compared to the rest of the people you had on was not comparable. I got to spend 5 awesome years in my late teens and early 20's working there and learning from some of the best people in radio. I am glad I was able to listen to their thoughts and feeling at the time and now.

Again, it's still your best episode yet.

Cheers,
Andrew

July 2, 2014 @ 11:31 AM

Al Reda

Here's what I like about this 2 hour episode. You're just a fan who didn't know him personally, and you make that clear. Then, we hear from those who did know him personally, and pieces of the puzzle fall into place.

Then, you don't state a conclusion, you let us decide for ourselves. Let the stories begin, so to speak.

I'm going to listen a second time. There's a lot there - fascinating.

July 2, 2014 @ 11:33 AM

Thanks, everyone.

A typical episode of Toronto Mike'd takes about 90 minutes total. We record for an hour and I create the audio file, upload it, edit the xml and blog, etc.

This 82nd episode took a great deal longer. It truly was a labour of love. Thanks to everyone who took the time to listen.

July 2, 2014 @ 11:37 AM

BJ

Listening now... excellent!

July 2, 2014 @ 4:40 PM

dale

That was your best podcast as per my son who liked Martin Streek,
unfortunately Martin thought life was not worth living.

I listened for a short time & glad you & many others reflected on Martin's life. Maybe time to get over it. It happened with his own doing - just like Curt.

Another example of depression & suicide is that persons answer to a resolution.

Time to reflect on the positive - with Genie Bouchard & Milos Roanic.

July 2, 2014 @ 4:55 PM

@dale

I'm always surprised at how callous you are with regards to suicide. Depression, after all, is a mental illness. I hardly think reflecting on the life and death of Martin Streek detracts from our celebration of Bouchard and Raonic.

As for your "time to get over it" comment, I've hardly written about Martin Streek since August of 2009. This memorial, on the fifth anniversary of his death, is hardly a regular occurence.

I'm glad your son liked it.

July 2, 2014 @ 5:03 PM

dale

@Mike

My son spent 2 nights & 3 days in a Psychiatric Ward in a hospital last June & his reflections of suicide still haunt me. He is not cured & will never be, but he sought help with the help of family & freinds.

I'm NOT callous towards suicide, just giving the opportunity for anyone contemplating it & have depressive thoughts to get help.

Sometimes its too late.

July 2, 2014 @ 5:15 PM

JNSilver

Mike....this PodCast was amazing....your guests were like a stroll down memory lane! My friends and I spent many a Saturday night at The Phoenix and plenty of Sundays at Whisky Saigon in the 90s. Martin was the live to air legend, and he made our weekends.

As you've pointed out, the radio business is a tough game. It's always fascinated me. Voices mysteriously disappear without explanation. Unfortunately it seems Corus is more ruthless than most (haven't heard Brother Bill in over 10 years but was sorry to hear he was cut last week).

I wonder if Indie 88 might prove to be different. I wonder if Martin would have approved.

Cheers, @leafsin2030

July 2, 2014 @ 10:56 PM

markosaar

Apologies, I listened to this yesterday courtesy of the RSS feed, but ended up being way too busy with work today to respond once the proper post was up.

First off, this is pretty much the only podcast I ever listened to in 1x speed. I generally speed through them, but the gravitas of this deserved respect.

Streek was a huge part of my childhood. Between him and Alan Cross, they informed so much of my early taste in music. Would regularly stay up late to listen to Ongoing History, and Streek's club nights.

That David Marsden interview was amazing. Ecstatic that you got a hold of him.

I never really thought about it, but Martin is 50% of whom informed my taste in industrial music.

A big song Streek always played that got omitted was Fools Gold by the Stone Roses:

Also my first exposure to Wolfsheim came through him:

I promptly downloaded the Marsden and 102.1 specials after listening to the podcast. I missed them the first time around.

Thanks for doing this.

July 2, 2014 @ 11:19 PM

Sammi

This was great! Amazing job, Mike. I believe this Sunday on CFNY, Scot Turner is doing some sort of tribute to Martin Streek.

July 3, 2014 @ 9:21 AM

Declan

Mike;

I listened to this episode without knowing much about Martin and I found it extremely compelling. This was very well done.

July 3, 2014 @ 10:42 AM

Ryan P

As I already said, great work sir!

I was happy to see Bookie and LoriAnn are now at Indie 88.1 - didn't realize Bookie had found a new home and I'm happy he did. I have your podcast to thank for that discovery. If only I was closer to YYZ to pick up the signal...

July 3, 2014 @ 3:18 PM

Mike in Guelph

@Sammi if that's true that would be really great to hear!

July 4, 2014 @ 11:32 AM

@Sammi and @Mike in Guelph

I'm hearing the same thing. I'm sure Scot Turner will do something for Martin this Sunday.

July 4, 2014 @ 11:38 AM

Mike in Guelph

@TorontoMike @Sammi Looks like it's true. 240 minutes, non stop https://twitter.com/Robbie_J/status/485823387080871937

July 6, 2014 @ 12:57 PM

Mike in Guelph

actually according to the edge it looks like it will only be for the last hour of the show "last hour of show dedicated to Martin Streek". So that would be 4-5pm

July 6, 2014 @ 1:06 PM

Jason from Sudbury

Shit, missed it. Been out and about all day.

July 6, 2014 @ 4:53 PM

markosaar

Yeah ditto. Hoping Mike or someone recorded it. Didn't think of doing it myself until too late.

July 6, 2014 @ 6:50 PM

Jason from Sudbury

I did just catch the podcast though. Great work putting all of that together Mike.

July 6, 2014 @ 7:34 PM