The Grid Alternative Weekly Paper Discontinued

The Grid Alternative Weekly Paper DiscontinuedTaking the subway to university on Thursdays meant picking up a copy of Eye Weekly. Eye Weekly was a cool alternative weekly newspaper that was distributed for free in Toronto. I always found something interesting to read in there.

In May of 2011, Eye Weekly was rebranded / relaunched as The Grid and continued to publish weekly. Tomorrow's issue, however, will be their last.

Screen Shot 2014-07-02 at 11.25.26 AM

Eye Weekly / The Grid: 1991 - 2014.

Argie

Its OK Mike, there's still NOW. They always seem to offer an even, well balanced approach to journalism (cough, cough).

July 2, 2014 @ 11:30 AM

The Grid was worth reading for Edward Keenan alone. That man's coverage of Toronto City Hall was exceptional.

I'll follow him wherever he ends up.

July 2, 2014 @ 11:35 AM

Liz

@Mike

Yep. Edward Keenan is always a good read - whether you agree with his views or not.

There was always something worth looking at in The Grid - print is doing the death rattle. Sadly.

July 2, 2014 @ 1:11 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Only got to know of Edward Keenan from being on 1010, always liked his perspective and content. Hope he continues on there.

July 2, 2014 @ 1:16 PM

this guest

I follow Keenan online. Very knowledgeable about the city and the, uh, 'circus of the damned' that's been foisted upon us.

July 2, 2014 @ 6:35 PM

Icarus

Nice to see a cockroach like Argie happy about people losing their jobs and Toronto losing diversity of journalism.

You are scum, Argie.

July 2, 2014 @ 9:37 PM

AR

The paper lacked the edge of a true alt weekly like Now.

July 3, 2014 @ 3:29 AM

Argie

@Icarus
So nice to have you back posting. All you have to offer is insults. Such a sad, disordered life you must live.

July 3, 2014 @ 8:17 AM

Philly-Bob

@ Icarus - when did Argie say he was happy people were loosing jobs? All he did there was take a jab at NOW...and if you don't want people taking a jab at your newspaper..try not printing yellow journalism...

I'm all for calling Argie out when he says something silly or inflammatory...but he just didn't this time...

July 3, 2014 @ 9:59 AM

this guest

I rarely read NOW but I'm trying to recall when they used their 'voice' to promote, encourage, cheer-lead, or instigate a war:

Yellow journals like the New York Journal and the New York World relied on sensationalist headlines to sell newspapers. William Randolph Hearst understood that a war with Cuba would not only sell his papers, but also move him into a position of national prominence. From Cuba, Hearst's star reporters wrote stories designed to tug at the heartstrings of Americans. Horrific tales described the situation in Cuba--female prisoners, executions, valiant rebels fighting, and starving women and children figured in many of the stories that filled the newspapers. But it was the sinking of the battleship Maine in Havana Harbor that gave Hearst his big story--war. After the sinking of the Maine, the Hearst newspapers, with no evidence, unequivocally blamed the Spanish, and soon U.S. public opinion demanded intervention.

July 3, 2014 @ 10:04 AM

this guest

p.s. Those William Randolph Hearst-commissioned stories were, in the main, sheer fiction.

July 3, 2014 @ 10:06 AM

Philly-Bob

@ this guest - they put a photo shopped picture of a shirtless Rob ford on their cover...NOW is a newspaper the same way US Weekly is...

July 3, 2014 @ 10:12 AM

Philly-Bob

@ this guest - please read the below definition of Yellow Journalism...NOW falls squarely in this definition.

Yellow journalism, or the yellow press, is a type of journalism that presents little or no legitimate well-researched news and instead uses eye-catching headlines to sell more newspapers.[1] Techniques may include exaggerations of news events, scandal-mongering, or sensationalism.[1] By extension, the term yellow journalism is used today as a pejorative to decry any journalism that treats news in an unprofessional or unethical fashion.[2]

July 3, 2014 @ 10:14 AM

The morning after this big news, I have a few additional thoughts....

Why is The Grid being referred to as a "start-up"? It was Eye Weekly since the early 90s, and Torstar just did a re-brand. New name, new logo, new focus.... but it was the same staff, same advertisers (except for the escorts) and essentially the same paper and website. The Grid was not a start-up.

Did losing the escort ads do them in? I'll bet it did. Now Magazine is heavy with the escort ads and I'm betting that provides a good chunk of their revenue.

On that note, it's tough out there for all papers, let alone our alt weeklies. Hundreds of issues and Philly-Bob discards the entire publication because of one picture of Rob Ford in his underwear.

I never minded Now Magazine, although I did prefer Eye Weekly.

July 3, 2014 @ 10:27 AM

this guest

A Philly-Bob

How does NOW treat 'news' in an unethical or unprofessional manner?
Which stories?
How does NOW use scandal-mongering or sensationalism?
Which stories?
Why would you say NOW presents no legitimately researched stories?
Which stories?

July 3, 2014 @ 10:31 AM

Argie

@Phil
Its just typical nonsense from Icarus. He's even more demented than Irvine.

If I post something he doesn't agree with, he attacks me personally instead of proving me wrong. Its OK.

July 3, 2014 @ 10:53 AM

this guest

Anyway, I don't read NOW but was under the impression that 'yellow journalism' was more akin to daily tabloids than alternative weeklies.

Although perhaps the 'spirit' of yellow journalism lives on in all mainstream media now under more polite colours.

July 3, 2014 @ 10:59 AM

Philly-Bob

@ Mike - you're damn right I do. I am the farthest thing from a Ford supporter, you know that.

You want to attack his policies, his drug abuse, the lies and all the other stupid shit he does, that's just fine. But when you sink to the level of teasing him with a fake picture...you've lost all journalistic integrity in my mind. I don't care if they have printed Pulitzer prize winning stories that toppled communist regimes...they printed a fake picture of the man in his underwear!!!!

That's enough to write them off completely for me....but maybe I'm expecting too much from my "journalists"

July 3, 2014 @ 11:05 AM

@Philly-Bob

If you're going to write off every paper with a caricature that offends your sensibilities, you're going to be left with very few papers.

And really, if you were relying on Now Magazine for your unbiased hard-hitting news, you were barking up the wrong tree to begin with.

July 3, 2014 @ 11:21 AM

Philly-Bob

@ Mike - There's a huge difference between the pic you posted and the one NOW used. Please post that one as well and let the hive mind decide....

And I'm not looking to NOW for anything, I referred to them as yellow journalism (which they are), you and this guest took umbridge with that so I defended my position....

I'm not telling people not to read NOW, I'm simply stating that calling them "journalists" is a big stretch.

July 3, 2014 @ 11:29 AM

this guest

Philly - Bob

think of some images as like 'satirical cartoons....'

perhaps with a sardonic 'bite' but hardly doctored or attempting to
sell a false impression i.e. Here is the map where Saddam...etc...

July 3, 2014 @ 12:18 PM

What

All these rags should be shelved. They are nothing more than mini-versions of their parent companies. Torstar, SunMedia.

Same shit

July 3, 2014 @ 5:47 PM

this guest

Here's some great journalism: Insight, intelligence, humour, overview:
(a 'yellow-free' zone)

July 3, 2014 @ 8:49 PM

Philly-Bob

@ this guest - great read!! Quite true.

July 4, 2014 @ 9:08 AM

I have the antidote for what irks you:

July 4, 2014 @ 9:10 AM