I Just Killed a Bird

I Just Killed a BirdI've biked 2266.42 km so far in 2014, but today I did something for the first time. In fact, today I did something for the first time in my life. Today, I killed a bird.

It was completely unintentional. The little bird flew into my spokes while I was going about 28 km/h. It was dead on impact. There was nothing I could do to avoid the accident.

To make things worse, it was witnessed by two little kids walking the waterfront with their parents. They just got a good lesson in the fragility of life... especially if you're a little bird.

Now I know how Randy Johnson felt.

markosaar

Lucky it wasn't a squirrel.

July 31, 2014 @ 1:25 PM

@markosaar

Or a bigger bird.

July 31, 2014 @ 1:43 PM

twins from bolton

2 years ago my wife & her sister driving to Sudbury at night hit a moose - the car damage & the moose went through the windshield & was on my sis's in laws lap. DEAD. It was a baby moose.

Fortuantely neither person was injured & even the police couldn't beleive it. Lucky as HELL.

July 31, 2014 @ 1:55 PM

@twins from bolton

I have a good friend who lost both his parents in a car accident when they hit a moose.

Your wife and sister were very lucky.

July 31, 2014 @ 2:04 PM

Cambo

Interesting insurance lesson here.

Do not avoid large animals, such as moose/deer, if it means driving into the ditch or oncoming traffic. You'll end up fighting the insurance company for coverage because there's no evidence (moose ran away)- and could possibly be charged with wreckless/careless driving.

Sad, but true. A drivers natural instinct is to swerve to avoid.

July 31, 2014 @ 2:05 PM

Cambo

And yes, unfortunately there are instances where someone is killed by a moose/car collision- but fortunately those are rare.

July 31, 2014 @ 2:06 PM

twins from bolton

@ Cambo

Check stats - hitting a moose driving a car is usually a catastrophe & a person dies in the car. My wife swerved into the ditch after hitting the moose as opposed to hitting oncoming traffic.

July 31, 2014 @ 2:37 PM

I don't know the stats, but my friend's parents were killed on Highway 16 in New Brunswick between the Confederation Bridge and Port Elgin.

This was December 2011. His mom died at the scene and his dad died a couple of weeks later in hospital.

This stretch of highway in New Brunswick has had some trouble lately. You don't see the moose until it's too late. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-edward-island/moose-cause-3rd-accident-near-confederation-bridge-1.1187136

July 31, 2014 @ 2:41 PM

twins from bolton

HWY 69 just north of Parry Sound constantly has moose problems.
A few years ago a fence was starting being erected with shock waves if an animal was to try to cross the HWY. It was a constant problem.

They jump out at the last minute & drivers have no time to react until it's too late.

The OPP were awesome that night & there within 5 minutes.
The car behind stopped & helped them & my wife still keeps in touch with them periodically. A Good Luck story for sure.

July 31, 2014 @ 2:57 PM

Sammi

@twins from Bolton

I just drove up there a few weeks ago and not only is the fence completed, it guides the animals to a bridge that crosses the highway. It was built just for animals and we saw some crossing as we drove under it.

July 31, 2014 @ 4:57 PM

markosaar

My fiancee's friend was killed in that SUV that had the bear launched through the windshield near Gatineau.

I mentioned the squirrel because an acquaintance ate dirt hard after one ran into his spokes. Broke so many bones.

July 31, 2014 @ 6:54 PM

519 Rob

There's a few nice bike paths around my place in Guelph. I love to go 'hard' especially when I am off road.

I get that I am sharing the path with other cyclists and pedestrians.
My pet peeve is people with their dogs OFF LEASH.

If I hear 'Don't worry, he's VERY friendly' one more time...
I'm really tired of being chased by 'friendly' dogs.

August 1, 2014 @ 4:01 PM

markosaar

@519 Rob,

Frankly on leash they're brutal too ... frequently stretched across the entire width of the path.

August 1, 2014 @ 5:02 PM