Do You Smoke?

Do You Smoke?I just read that 40 million Americans still smoke. I was surprised the number was that large.

Do you smoke?

If you still smoke, have you ever tried to quit?

Roshan

I smoked once in a while from the age of 17 till 22 mostly because of peer pressure (friends and cousins) and initially I only smoked when I was with them. When I was 19 for a while I smoked like a pack every 2 weeks or so which is still very less compared to what everyone else was doing. A few months later I went back to smoking a cigarette once or twice a week when I got together with my cousins for a beer or two. Then at 22 I stopped it altogether as I suffer from bronchitic asthma and I can't stand the smell of cigarette smoke anymore. But I do miss cigars!

July 16, 2014 @ 9:20 AM

this guest

When younger. It was very hard to quit even then.
I can only imagine now how hard it is with the secret
chemicals they *must* be adding to their foul concoctions.

July 16, 2014 @ 9:31 AM

Philly-Bob

I am a smoker, I've tried to quit many times.

Right now I'm using the e-cigarette and I find it's working quite well for controlling the cravings.

July 16, 2014 @ 9:35 AM

Oscar

That's not too bad of a number.. it's about 13% of the population.. I wonder how many Americans under the age of 40 smoke.

July 16, 2014 @ 10:06 AM

McNulty

I smoked on and off for years. Even when I quit I always said I was a smoker who just happened to be between cigarettes.

My last cigarette was about 5 years ago. I haven't looked back. I don't miss it and when I smell smoke now I feel ill.

July 16, 2014 @ 10:22 AM

Ryan P

The question made me think of this meme.

Nope - I don't smoke.

July 16, 2014 @ 10:28 AM

Cheryl

No, I don't smoke. I tried it once at summer camp when someone asked me if I wanted to try a puff puff. I thought it was candy so I said sure. It was a cigarette. It made me cough like crazy so I decided why should I smoke. I don't know what's so good about it. I will never smoke.

July 16, 2014 @ 10:45 AM

mrmojorisinca

quit about 8 years ago now..
I have a cigar from time to time with a nice scotch..

July 16, 2014 @ 10:48 AM

Rob

Yes. I only smoke cigars but I've likely average one a week in the last year that I'd have to considered myself a smoker. I have began cutting down and my goal is to eliminate smoking them completely.

July 16, 2014 @ 11:33 AM

Nigel Trousershrapnel

I only smoke after sex.
I'm down to two packs a day!
Bada-bing!!

July 16, 2014 @ 11:38 AM

dale

Started smoking at 26 after moving in with G/Freind & now wife as she was a smoker & I would smoke 1-2 ciggies a day before that.
Now she smokes 10 or so a day & I'm at least a pack a day. Tried to quit once & did for 1 month many years ago & then started again.

@ Nigel - Great,I've seen that before & still chuckle.

July 16, 2014 @ 6:06 PM

JamieB

I smoked for over 30 years. Tried quitting too many times to count.
I read the same book Humble Howard and a few friends read (the easy way to quit smoking). A combination of wanting to quit, will and reading the book and I was finally able to quit. Don't regret a day of it. I'm free of the stink, cost and I'm not constantly thinking about when and where I can have my next smoke.

July 16, 2014 @ 8:05 PM

Rick C in Oakville

I see a resurgence in young smokers, not a very good sign. Never ever smoked, glad it never hooked me.

July 16, 2014 @ 8:41 PM

Anonymous

A question to smokers: with what we now know about the side effects of smoking does the threat of cancer and other health ailments not scare you? Secondly, how do you afford it? It's an expensive hobby

July 16, 2014 @ 8:48 PM

GUNTer

I have never smoked. when in my mid teens I tried it a few times to be 'cool' but I would gag and choke - so I gave up pretty quickly.
my grandmother smoked for 60+ years, finally gave it up when she scorched her eyebrows off with the lighter. hahah she lived to be 93 though.

July 16, 2014 @ 8:53 PM

Philly-Bob

@GUNTer- we all hacked and choked, but some of us were dumb enough to keep doing it till it stopped....cause we were sure we looked cool

July 17, 2014 @ 7:10 AM

Corey

I'd like to hear an answer or two re: anonymous's question. Isn't a pack of smokes around $10 bucks now? So a pack-a-day-er is spending $3600/yr? Wow, if you like a drink or two with your butts, you're into some serious coin.

July 17, 2014 @ 8:09 AM

Jason from Sudbury

I never smoked but I have lots of family and friends that do. Complete waste of money if you ask me. But to answer Corey and Anon's question, in Sudbury most people just go by smokes at the native reserve 15 minutes away. 36 and 37 bucks a carton unless you get the really cheap ones in bags those apparently are like 15 bucks or something.

July 17, 2014 @ 9:27 AM

Phillly-Bob

@ Corey - that's why a lot of smokers have started going to the reserves for their smokes. You can get a bog of 200 cigarettes for $15.

I'm proud to say I'm 3 weeks cigarette free thanks to my E-smoke

July 17, 2014 @ 1:19 PM

Cheryl

This is it. I can't understand why people smoke. That isn't good. Even the smell of smokers is bad.

July 17, 2014 @ 4:51 PM

Aurora Bob

One or two cigars per week (on the weekends) during the warmer months. Usually with a nice single malt or beer.

When the Dr or insurance asks me the question... No I do not smoke.

July 18, 2014 @ 9:01 AM