Accepting the Fact I Don't Like Football

Accepting the Fact I Don't Like FootballI alluded to this in episode 83 of my podcast, but it's time to come clean in print. I really don't care for football anymore.

As a younger man, I watched a lot of NFL. The Bills were my team and I rooted for them the way I root for the Jays or Raptors. Periodically, when we had the Rocket or Doug Flutie, I'd watch the Argos, too.

I can pinpoint the moment I started to care less about the NFL. It was when Rob Johnson got the start over Flutie in the Music City Miracle game. Since then, I've watched less and less NFL football every year. Last season, I caught three games (including the Super Bowl) and all three included Manning and his Broncos.

For a while, I thought it was just the NFL that was turning me off, and I turned to the CFL. Now I know it's the sport. I just don't like football.

Al Reda

The average NFL game is over 3 hours long but includes only 11 minutes of action.

July 9, 2014 @ 10:39 AM

Cbab

I'm right there with you.

I'm not into watching most sports, but football is high up on my list of ones to avoid.

I've rarely seen a sport so supposed filled with "action" that involves a bunch of people standing around in between plays for... well, most of the game. There's supposed to be 4 quarters @ 15 minutes each. 60 mins total. A typical game takes over 3 hours to come to its conclusion though. Basically a 3:2 ratio of wasted time.

July 9, 2014 @ 10:44 AM

Here are sporting events I enjoy watching more than football:

Hockey
Baseball
Basketball
Olympics
Soccer
Tennis
Tour de France
Triple Crown horse races

July 9, 2014 @ 10:46 AM

519 Rob

I feel the same way, but with hockey.
Specifically, the NHL.

Living in Guelph, I got to enjoy a great team with a Memorial Cup birth.
I am sure I saw more Storm games last year than NHL games.

I know I've ranted before, but I'm tired of the fake fights, the shit that happens in front of the net, the garbage that happens after every whistle...I could go on.
The CHL has some of this too, but it's sure a lot less.

July 9, 2014 @ 10:47 AM

Argie

@Mike
I kind of agree. I always watched football as a kid - NFL, CFL, even Cdn college. Today, its impossible to watch an entire NFL game (I've given up on the CFL) what with the onslaught of commercials and talking heads during the pregame and halftime.

I mainly stick to watching the highlights and scores in order to see how I did in the weekly pool.

July 9, 2014 @ 10:47 AM

joel

If you were to time a baseball game starting the stop watch when the pitcher starts his windup and stopping it as soon as the ball hits the catchers mitt or the fielders glove if the ball is in play I'm sure baseball would fall into the same category.

July 9, 2014 @ 10:50 AM

Argie

@519 Rob
Agree 100% regarding the NHL. I'll watch most Leaf games because I desperately care how they do but as for the rest of the league, who cares?

@Mike
No golf???

July 9, 2014 @ 10:51 AM

@joel

That's possible, but the big difference is I love watching baseball. I have since I was 7 years old.

I have several issues with the NFL:

• I don't love the sport
  • I never played the sport competitively
  • I find the style very militaristic and that bores me
  • The players get screwed over all the time - no guaranteed contracts, etc.
  • It's style over substance - over hyped for the entertainment value, IMHO

My brothers love the NFL. One brother can probably name the practice roster of every team and won't leave his home on Sundays during the season because he won't miss a minute.

I think I've been trying to like this sport for a long time and now I've given up trying. I have many things I'd rather do on my Sundays.

Having admitted that, I'll sit down to watch every Leafs game I'm home for, including preseason. No accounting for taste I guess...

July 9, 2014 @ 10:56 AM

@Argie

I only watch majors on Sunday if one of the following is true:

• A Canadian is in contention
  • Tiger Woods is in contention

Otherwise, I never watch a minute of golf.

July 9, 2014 @ 10:57 AM

4x4 Time

I do not watch NFL games, but I follow the results very closely for the couple of pools I participate in..

July 9, 2014 @ 11:00 AM

joel

My previous comment was meant to be a response to Al Reda, instead of a knock against baseball.

The introduction of the Red Zone channel has also improved the viewing experience for the fans at home as well. You get to watch every game, see any important play and don't feel overwhelmed with information

July 9, 2014 @ 11:46 AM

Brian

Put some money on the games and that will make you watch.

July 9, 2014 @ 12:32 PM

Jamie

I agree with Brian, Football is the best sport to watch if you put money on it but might be the worst if you have no rooting interest in the teams and didn't gamble on the game.

July 9, 2014 @ 12:56 PM

mrmojorisinca

I played football in Highschool..and I think that is why I watched then..now I might flip to watch a little if two popular teams are playing and Superbowl but that usually just to hang out with my friends.

I love Playoff hockey..
Soccer (Champions Leauge, WorldCup, EuroCup, Serie A. LA Liga)
Olympics
Tennis

July 9, 2014 @ 3:34 PM

James Edgar

I used to be a CFL fan but have never been or will be NFL fan. I think I liked the CFL partly because my dad did. I still check 0on the Argos and would probably enjoy going to a game but i'm not going out of my way to watch.

I'm a Bike/Car guy so MotoGP and F1 are my must watch sports .Followed by World Superbike and other road racing. Everything else i like (Hockey,baseball,Soccer,Bicycles etc. ) is in the I'll watch if it's on category.But there's not much chance i'll go out of my way.

July 10, 2014 @ 8:56 AM

Douglas

I've said my peace about why I like the CFL, its game, etc. many times on this blog. One of the bigger reasons that I prefer our league and game is that it is anything but being all about "big money". If anything most Canadian professional sports teams are characterized by their lack of money versus American teams. No matter how you break it down, there is simply less money going, and to go, around for sports in Canada, from the grassroots level up to professional. The same applies to fan attendance: game ticket prices, on average, are much lower for CFL games than NFL games. Need we be reminded again that Buffalo has for many years been one of the, if not THE, lowest average ticket price in the NFL?

With very few in the league earning a star, let alone superstar, salary, I think that everyone works just that bit harder for their jobs, especially the guys on the field. No, position for position (even considering we have one more on the field), CFL players are not on par with the NFL. See "money" again. The CFL game moves a bit quicker than the NFL game, in part because of the 20-second play clock.

Finally, if we did not have the CFL, you can kiss goodbye any hopes of Canadians playing (not just professional) football in their home country.

July 10, 2014 @ 2:01 PM

felix

I've always been a football guy. It started with the Argos & Bills of the late '80s early '90s and progressed to NCAA football when I moved to Texas in '98. So now I have three leagues to follow.

I'm sorry you don't like it, Mike, but I feel the same way about basketball and soccer.

July 10, 2014 @ 10:58 PM

@felix

It took me a long time to appreciate soccer...

July 10, 2014 @ 11:04 PM