Bob Hoskins, Dead at 71

Bob HoskinsBob Hoskins was 71. He was the actor whose varied career ranged from "Mona Lisa" to "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?".

hoskins

Philly-Bob

Too bad...Roger Rabbit and Hook (Hoskins played Mr. Smee) were 2 of my favourite movies growing up.

April 30, 2014 @ 10:18 AM

@Philly-Bob

I've never seen Hook, but Who Framed Roger Rabbit? was a personal favourite.

I recently revisited it with my kids and they loved it. That one holds up nicely.

April 30, 2014 @ 10:19 AM

Philly-Bob

@ Mike - Funny enough, my son loved it too! He wanted to know how the cartoons were walking around with people. Didn't know how to answer that one, so I went with "magic!"

Oh, and you should totally watch Hook...it holds up as well, and is a nice little addition to the Peter Pan storyline. Plus, Hoskins is great as Smee

April 30, 2014 @ 10:26 AM

@Philly-Bob

But it's not magic!

VistaVision cameras installed with motion control technology were used for the photography of the live-action scenes which would be composited with animation. Rubber mannequins of Roger Rabbit, Baby Herman and the Weasels would portray the animated characters during rehearsals in order to teach the actors where to look when acting with "open air and imaginative cartoon characters". Many of the live-action props held by cartoon characters were shot on set with either robotic arms holding the props or the props were manipulated by strings, similar to a marionette.

April 30, 2014 @ 10:29 AM

markosaar

His greatest role was the portrayal of Mario Mario in The Super Mario Bros. movie.

April 30, 2014 @ 10:51 AM

@markosaar

Also, according to him, the worst movie he ever made.

April 30, 2014 @ 10:54 AM

Philly-Bob

@ Mike - Just believe in magic you muggle :)

@ Mark - Nice obscure reference...i had forgotten all about that trainwreck. At least it wasn't his last movie.

Fun Fact - Orson Wells, prolific career that he had, his last credited role: The voice of Unicron in the Transformers Move back in '85. While that movie is a treasured part of my childhood...Citizen Kaine it is not...

April 30, 2014 @ 11:04 AM

Very cool before and after footage of Hoskins filming Roger Rabbit:

April 30, 2014 @ 11:45 AM

519 Rob

I think Philly Bob just won this thread with the 'Just believe in magic you muggle' comment. That was a legit Laugh Out Loud moment.

And the Orson Wells fact was awesome. That's a great trivia question.

April 30, 2014 @ 3:31 PM

Philly-Bob

@ 519 Rob - Thanks buuudy, but I can't take credit. Howard from the Big Bang Theory said it in a re-run last night when Sheldon was doubting a card trick....just good timing I suppose.

However, I will take full kudos for the Orson Wells reference. My heads full of useless knowledge like that...wish I could've gone on Win Ben Stien's Money or Beat the Geeks :)

April 30, 2014 @ 4:28 PM

Anonymous

The final scene in The Long Good Friday. Good-bye Eddie Valiant.

April 30, 2014 @ 8:16 PM