Things are Looking Up in Toronto Sports

Things are Looking Up in Toronto SportsToronto Sports fans, I have good news. It seems we bounced off the bottom in August and things are looking up.

At that time, the Jays, Leafs, Raptors, TFC and Argos were all in pretty dire straits. You'll have to click back for details. I called it a "brand new low", but as I type this today I'm pleased to report the Argos are Grey Cup champs, the Blue Jays are entering the pre-season as World Series favourites and both the Leafs and Raptors are on four game winning streaks. Heck, the Leafs might even make the playoffs for the first time since 2004.

And let me tell you as someone who is watching both the Leafs and Raptors these days, they're both entertaining and full of hope, something that's been sorely lacking the past few years. The Toronto professional sports scene is suddenly respectable again.

Go Jays Go! And go Leafs, Raptors and Argos, too! I'm not sure about TFC, but the other teams are headed in the right direction.

Dave Williams

@Mike, with all respects to the Grey Cup, the city has not won anything yet. It will take years of each sport making deep playoff runs before respect returns, until then we will still be the laughing stock of Major League Sports.

February 14, 2013 @ 3:44 PM

@Dave Williams

I didn't say we won anything more than the Grey Cup yet, but things are looking up.

It feels very different now compared to when I wrote that entry in August 2012.

February 14, 2013 @ 3:48 PM

Speysidephil

Geez Mike, I hope you didn't just jinx them.
The leafs are in Carolina tonight.
Go Leafs Go.

February 14, 2013 @ 3:56 PM

Wayner

I’m always cautious when TO teams get off to strong starts or have praises heaped upon them before a pitch is even thrown…the Argo Grey Cup win was a welcome surprise as they weren’t even considered contenders until near the end…

February 14, 2013 @ 3:58 PM

Corey

Hate to ruin this feel good moment, but I need to point out that at this point last season, having played 13 games, the Leafs were in 6th place in the East with 19 points (9-3-1). This season they're currently in 7th place with 16 points. Reimer's injured again, and I'm skeptical he'll be out for less than a month.

Why do we think they'll make the playoffs? Definition of insanity and all that.

February 14, 2013 @ 5:44 PM

@Corey

Quite simply, the 48 game schedule will help us make the playoffs. Last season, after 48 games, we were in the playoffs. We'll run out of nosedive time.

And Reimer's only going to miss a week. Scrivens hasn't played badly, and will fill in fine for that time. Our goaltending has been great thus far, we're playing with more energy and nobody's pushing us around. Although it's no guarantee, a playoff berth this season is very, very possible.

February 14, 2013 @ 6:14 PM

Mississauga Phil

@ Mike - I agree with you on all points, feelin good about my teams.

But everytime you talk about how well a T.O. Team is doing, they nosedive. If the Leafs go on a loosing streak now....I'm coming for blood

(Not an actual threat...)

February 14, 2013 @ 8:39 PM

Blind Dave

@Speysidephil

Car 3, Tor 1 second period.

The jinx has started. :)

If this is the time the Leafs go into their yearly tailspin, we can blame Mike, even though it's a forgone conclusion at some point anyway. :)

And I was thrilled for the Argos, as I'm a big CFL fan. I'm also looking forward to baseball season with cautious optimism, keeping in mind they might have the potential for a good-to-great team, but there will be growing pains.

February 14, 2013 @ 8:46 PM

If I hadn't blogged about the 4-game winning streak, the Leafs would still be losing 3-1 right now.

Of this I am certain!

February 14, 2013 @ 8:51 PM

mississauga Phil

Damn you Toronto Mike!!!!!!

The curse continues. If I knew how to link from previous post that you have done this to us.

February 14, 2013 @ 9:11 PM

mississauga Phil

Damn you Toronto Mike!!!!!!

February 14, 2013 @ 9:11 PM

If I'm such a jinx, how do you explain back-to-back in '92 and '93?

February 14, 2013 @ 9:18 PM

mississauga phil

I was only 11 and 12 respectivly, but I'm pretty sure you weren't blogging about the Jays in '92 and '93.....

February 14, 2013 @ 9:38 PM

This is true...

I wasn't blogging about the Jays in '92 and '93, but I was watching and rooting for 'em!

February 14, 2013 @ 9:53 PM

Doug

The Toronto Rock are in first place!!

February 14, 2013 @ 9:59 PM

Corey

@Mike -

So the Leafs may squeak in thanks to a bogus compressed season? Whoo hoo! Go Leafs Go!

I'm a Leafs fan, but I've made my views on this "season" pretty well known. The fact that if the Leafs actually managed to do something remarkable this year, it would always be marred by a "*" is just one of the reasons I'm not paying attention this year (besides looking up the standings!). I'm done drinking the Kool Aid.

February 14, 2013 @ 10:34 PM

@Corey

There's no "*". We had a shortened season before, I think the Devils won that year, and it wasn't tarnished.

I'm not suggesting the Leafs are a good team, I just think we're an improved team. And if we get good goaltending we could finish 7th or 8th in the conference.

February 14, 2013 @ 11:41 PM

Corey

Come on Mike. You know why NJ's championship wasn't tarnished? Because no one cares about the Devils. THe Leafs are a high profile, polarizing team right across Canada. Imagine for a moment if the stars and planets aligned, and the Leafs had an unbelievable run, and won the whole thing. You don't think every journalist outside of the GTA, and every anti-Leafs fan would raise the fact that the Leafs needed a shortened season to do it?

February 15, 2013 @ 6:59 AM

Mississauga Phil

@ Mike - Corey is right you know?

If we won the cup this year fans in Vancouver, Maontreal, Boston...just to name a few, would be saying "yeah but they don't have it in them for an 82 game season plus a full playoff run...we'll probably never know because the Leafs are not going to win the cup this year, but if we did....

February 15, 2013 @ 8:10 AM

@Corey

1. I give the Leafs a 1% chance of winning the cup this season.

2. If we did win the cup, it would not be tarnished because it's a grueling playoff requiring 16 wins and not even a shortened season can detract from the respect that would be gained should we manage to pull off those 16 wins.

But like I said, there's a 1% chance this argument means anything. Right now it means shit.

February 15, 2013 @ 9:08 AM

Cheryl

You're right it means shit. The Leafs lost last night. My Habs won. Goes to show you my Habs are the best. The Leafs won't win the cup. As for the Jays, who cares. I hate baseball. It's so slow and boring. I just hope I'll like playing with it, but right now the ball and glove are just sitting there because it's still winter out. As for the Raptors, who cares. I'm a suns fan and they're doing terribly now.

February 15, 2013 @ 10:48 AM

Ted

Love those Argos. Looking forward to another good year by the Argos. Who also have the second highestnTV rating of any other T.O sports team only second to the Leafs

April 14, 2013 @ 7:10 PM