Martin Streek CFNY 102.1 The Edge Tribute MP3s

radioFollowing his death, Martin Streek's official site, MartinStreek.com, was chillingly frozen in time. It alluded to his current DJ gig of 25 years, a gig he lost two months before his death. It was a painful visit.

MartinStreek.com has finally been updated and is actually hosting the 3-hour tribute to Streek that aired on CFNY / Edge 102.1. That's the tribute that led to this collection of thoughts. Download the three MP3s below and throw them on the iPod.

» CFNY / Edge 102.1 Martin Streek Tribute Hour 1
» CFNY / Edge 102.1 Martin Streek Tribute Hour 2
» CFNY / Edge 102.1 Martin Streek Tribute Hour 3

Remember, you can still download all five hours of David Marsden's tribute to Martin Streek that aired on 94.9 The Rock.

Thanks to whomever cracked the code and finally updated MartinStreek.com.

andrew

Pukin' again.

August 3, 2009 @ 3:40 PM

Toronto Mike

Here are the great tunes played in the above MP3s.

Hour 1

Hour 2

Tool – 46 & 2
Nine Inch Nails – Terrible Lie
Rage Against The Machine – Renegades of Funk
Queens of the Stone Age – Mexicola
Soundgarden – Jesus Christ Pose
Underworld – Born Slippy (Nuxx)
Bob Marley – Three Little Birds

Faith No More – Last Cup of Sorrow
Sonic Youth – Kool Thing
The Church – Under the Milky Way
Massive Attack – Protection

August 3, 2009 @ 3:41 PM

Toronto Mike

Hey andrew, go puke on someone else's blog.

August 3, 2009 @ 3:47 PM

gravy

I don't think Martin's site should have been taken down; rather just this new memorial slash page should have been added with the same care and design of the original site.

August 3, 2009 @ 4:26 PM

Toronto Mike

@gravy

The site is in tact, just the home page has been overwritten.

To see the rest of the site, simply go straight to http://www.martinstreek.com/announcer.html and start clicking.

August 3, 2009 @ 4:33 PM

gravy

Thats all well and good, but why hide the past truth from the home page.

August 3, 2009 @ 4:45 PM

Toronto Mike

The content was super out of date anyway. Here's what's there now under Events.

COMING UP IN JANUARY... Martin will be broadcasting the Thursday 30 on 102.1 The Edge LIVE from The Sound Academy (formerly known as the Docks) starting January 10th, 2008! The party goes all night with live bands, guest DJs, and more...

ONGOING PARTIES...
- Saturdays at Club 102 The Phoenix Concert Theatre
- The Spirit Of Radio Sundays at Velvet Underground

I'm not sure what the protocol is with regards to official sites and the owner's death. It's hard to fault putting up a simple tribute page with MP3s coveted by fans.

I'm okay with it. Here's the best part of the old site:

"Play some funk, man!"

Let's start where we left off on the main page. Martin started as an intern working with the import music director and was hired on six months later. He initial duties were . Martin would later go onto to visit high schools, colleges and universities all over Southern Ontario as part of the CFNY Video Roadshow (that thing he tried to get while high school president!). He life at CFNY was spent in a ten-ton truck with a video projector, a massive screen, a light show, and industrial strength video players. The biggest Roadshow happened at the Kingswood Music Theatre at Canada's Wonderland in the spring of 1987. More than 15,000 people showed up to watch alternative rock videos.

In 19__, Martin was given a shot on the mic when club god Chris Sheppard left CFNY. Martin took over for Shep, doing Friday nights from the studio and Saturday nights at Club 102 at the Phoenix...without an ounce of on-air experience. Martin's outgoing, motivated, and opinionated personality paved the way for years and years of success.
Martin's first club gig hosting a party was at a place in Burlington called NRG Night Club - Wednesday nights. A few years later, the club would be renamed The Kingdom and would go live to air on 102.1 The Edge for twelve solid years. The last broadcast was December 7th, 2007.

Club 102 at the Phoenix Concert Theatre is the longest running live-to-air in history!
You can also catch Martin on Sunday nights playing nothing but retro music and nostalgic tracks from CFNY's Spirit of Radio days. That happens from 9PM to 2AM at a club called the Velvet Undergound.
Martin is also the host of the Thursday 30, counting down the best new rock every week starting at 7PM.
He has also spent the past two years as part of the Edge Music Committee that meets once a week to decide which songs get added into rotation. Martin is a huge supporter of new music...Have you heard of the Saigon Hookers? C0ndu1t? Alpha Galates? Oceanship? Soulsavers?

August 3, 2009 @ 4:53 PM

gravy

How is your decision, or another's to dictate out-of-date content? Esp when the person has no say.

I'm sure he could have chosen to update the site in the two months following his removal -- but he didn't. He obviously felt no need too -- he didn't want it to change. The crux of his death eh?

The fact that no love was put into the updating of the webpage tells me a lot -- its about CFNY's promotion of Martins image -- not the truth.

August 3, 2009 @ 5:14 PM

Toronto Mike

Corus / CFNY didn't update martinstreek.com.

Corus / CFNY would never officially sanction the sharing of these MP3s, because to do it all legally is nearly impossible.

The site update, which is pretty tasteful, was done by someone with access to the web server who likely consulted Martin's friends / family before going live with the edits. That's how I'd handle it.

August 3, 2009 @ 5:20 PM

gravy

Like many opinions of yours -- your wrong.

August 3, 2009 @ 5:46 PM

Toronto Mike

@gravy

I'm curious why you think Corus would own MartinStreek.com?

In fact, you can see the registrant of MartinStreek.com here: http://www.whois.net/whois/martinstreek.com

I'm guessing Tara updated the site. I'm glad she did and is sharing these MP3s with Martin's fans.

August 3, 2009 @ 5:53 PM

andrew

ONLY yours. I don't see anyone else's blog with comments.

August 3, 2009 @ 7:09 PM

jason | Getyouroj.com

Wow, Mike, a lot of playa hatas wanting to get thier own post or something.

Been there, done that. Moving on..

You've actually done me a favour here. Personally, I didn't think it was right to listen to this show. (Even before Martin, I'd been boycotting Corus for a long time) The idea of tuning into this hypocritical tribute left a bad taste in my mouth. I was, however, mildly curious to know what they'd play. Now I have that info, without having to do something sacrelig.

For that, I thank you.. and the playlist aint too deep or impressive anyway.

August 3, 2009 @ 8:04 PM

andrw

Yea a great DJ, but he did himself in. My stomach is upset again.
Did you say a prayer for Matin at church today?

August 3, 2009 @ 8:43 PM

Lorne

Thanks for these, Mike.

For what it's worth, I've been exploring the dial, looking for a new home for my ears. The pickings within Toronto are slim-- but on a clear/cloudy day, there's a few out-of-town alternatives:

94.9 - Most people seem to know this one.
107.9 - I think this is a Courus station, so listener beware
95.7 - Coming out of Barrie. Much closer to 94.9. Mix of new and older rock.
97.7 - I think this is Hamilton. At times the playlist is mindblowing. I've heard them air some Godsmack tracks that, to my knowledge, were never singles. The DJs aren't quite up to my tastes, but they aren't bad. If you can rig a coat-hanger to receive this one, it looks like the best replacement airwaves can buy.

August 4, 2009 @ 11:55 AM

Jimmy

I cannot stand to listen to that Lori chick doing Live from the Velvet on Sundays. She is so nauseating & irritating.

Martin was the KING!!!!

Go look for some real TALENT CFNY!!!! (you won't find it)

August 4, 2009 @ 2:17 PM

jason | Getyouroj.com

Jimmy: Here's what you do when such things happen. Click the off switch/button/whatever.

August 4, 2009 @ 7:12 PM

Mary-Elizabeth Gilbert

Thank you for posting this blog Mike, I appreciate it.

Losing Martin has been one of the hardest things I've been through in a long time, it seems weird working at the Phoenix on Saturday nights but I guess time will heal that eventually, right now though its still very difficult, I really miss him and I always will.

Thanks again.